post something Quite Interesting..

Page 4 of 96 [ 1524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 96  Next

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 4:07 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
The Rosenhan experiment concluded that you cannot distinguish the sane from the insane in psychiatric hospitals. For those who aren't too familiar with the experiment, it took place in the early 1970s (1973, to be exact) and the specific psychologist was a guy by the name of David Rosenhan. Basically, for the first part of the experiment, he sent non-insane patients who briefly simulated auditory hallucinations and they were admitted to many different psychiatric hospitals in five different states (I think it was twelve hospitals.) They were diagnosed with psychiatric disorders and admitted to the hospitals. Then, once they were admitted, they acted normally and said that they felt fine. The staff at the hospitals didn't notice that, perchance, the "patients" might be normal and that they might be faking their psychiatric problems. They were all eventually released and they had to take antipsychotic drugs in order to be permitted to do so. These were normal people, mind you.
For the next part of the experiment, they asked doctors at some mental hospitals to detect "fake" patients. They hadn't sent any fake patients this time around, yet the doctors picked out many patients that they perceived as possibly being fake.
Back to what I said initially... this concluded that you can't tell the difference between a genuinely insane person and a normal person acting insane while you're in a psychiatric hospital. ^o^

Sorry for all the typing. I felt like sharing this; it's interesting to me, and may be interesting to at least a couple of you.

that is indeed quite interesting, also slightly worrying lol but nvm. thanks for sharing :)

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 9:27 pm

QI 'fact of the day'

Eric Arthur Blair (1903-1950), better known as George Orwell, was born in Bengal, where his father was a government opium agent.

quote of the day was ?Liberty is telling people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

from www.qi.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 10:31 pm

I'm making human brains out of green Play Dough.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 11:30 pm

Lethologica is a psychological disorder characterized by forgetting key words or names during conversation. It is sometimes accompanied by physical symptoms such as having trouble swallowing.

I believe I may have this.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 11:50 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Lethologica is a psychological disorder characterized by forgetting key words or names during conversation. It is sometimes accompanied by physical symptoms such as having trouble swallowing.

I believe I may have this.

I do that all the freaking time. >< But the I don't think I have any of the 3 things required for it, so it must not be cause of that.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 12:23 am

thanks Mick & IdahoRose. :)
dunbots, you must have some quite interesting trivia, especially to do with words & languages.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 12:56 am

Hmm, well something I've always found funny is that in Latvian, "ass nazis" means "sharp knife". :lol: Although it's pronounced nothing like in English. :P

In Papua New Guinea, there are over 800 separate languages, more in one country than any other country on Earth.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I'll try. :)

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 1:06 am

dunbots wrote:
Hmm, well something I've always found funny is that in Latvian, "ass nazis" means "sharp knife". :lol: Although it's pronounced nothing like in English. :P

In Papua New Guinea, there are over 800 separate languages, more in one country than any other country on Earth.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I'll try. :)

wow, papua new guinea sounds like a confusing place to live lol, thanks dunbots :)

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 1:15 am

Well, most people speak Tok Pisin, which is the lingua franca. It's a creole based on English, so it's relatively easy to learn. ;)

Here is a text with a recording in Tok Pisin if you're interested. Sometimes it's easy to understand, but sometimes not. :lol:

"Orait, no longtaim bihain Papa Wren i kam bek."
Alright, not long ago Papa Wren came back.

Oh, I thought of another one: there are some words in English that are exactly the same etymogically, but not by definition. For example, "guarantee" and "warranty" are the same word, but the first comes from French, and the second from Anglo-Norman, which is what the was spoken after the Norman conquest of England in 1066. More examples are "warden" and "guardian", "catch" and "chase", and more.

(I took the examples from Wikpedia. I already knew this, but I'm not good at recalling memories. :P )

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 1:06 pm

some more qi.com, i'm sleepy & couldn't think of anything.

Earthspeed
"Despite its apparent stately motion, the Earth is pretty nippy: if you stand on the Equator, the speed of its rotation around its own axis is about 1,040mph. This decreases as you approach the poles: stand on either pole and you barely move at all. But remember that as well as spinning, Earth is hurtling around the sun at 67,000mph. Were we able to fly at that speed, we could circle Earth in 20 minutes. The solar system is moving even faster, spinning around the centre of the Milky Way at 492,000mph. Even so, it takes it 225 million years to complete a single orbit (so it has managed 20 in total since the birth of the Sun, and only one since humans evolved)."

" At least a quarter of us respond to bright lights by sneezing. This is called the photic sneeze reflex (from photos, Greek for light) or ACHOO syndrome (Autosomal-dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst). It was first medically described in 1978 but people have been known to sneeze after looking at the sun since Aristotle; he blamed the effect of heat on the nose. In fact, the disorder is caused by confused signalling from the trigeminal nerve, the one responsible for sensation in the face. Somewhere along its passage to the brain the nerve impulses from around the eye and inside the nose become scrambled, and the brain is tricked into thinking that a visual stimulus is a nasal one. The result is that the body tries to ?expel? the light by sneezing. This surprisingly common trait is inherited. Both men and women can get it and they have a 50:50 chance of passing it on to their children."

"neither haggis, whisky, porridge, clan tartans nor kilts are Scottish."

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 3:38 pm

Fudo wrote:
"neither haggis, whisky, porridge, clan tartans nor kilts are Scottish."

They may not be originally Scottish, but they are widely associated with Scotland. :wink: Also, bagpipes aren't originally Scottish either.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 4:39 am

that's what makes their not being originally scottish remarkable ;)

orange things...
The fruit came before the colour. The word 'orange' derives from the Arabic naranj and arrived in English as 'narange' in the 14th century, gradually losing the initial 'n'. This process is called wrong word division and also left us with apron (from naperon) and umpire (from noumpere). Orange was first used as the name for a colour in 1542

New Orange.
New Amsterdam was founded by the Dutch in 1653, taken by the English in 1664 and renamed New York, then retaken by the Dutch in 1673 and renamed New Orange. Under the Treaty of Westminster in 1674 the city was ceded to the English and New York became its permanent name.

Orange punishment
In Spanish, anaranjear means, literally, to 'orangicate' , to pelt something with oranges.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 10:12 am

Timothy Wilson of the University of Virginia notes that the brain can absorb about 11 million pieces of information a second, of which it can process about 40 consciously. The unconscious brain handles the rest.

Ikonovich
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2011, 12:52 pm

Fudo wrote:
that's what makes their not being originally scottish remarkable ;)

orange things...
The fruit came before the colour. The word 'orange' derives from the Arabic naranj and arrived in English as 'narange' in the 14th century, gradually losing the initial 'n'. This process is called wrong word division and also left us with apron (from naperon) and umpire (from noumpere). Orange was first used as the name for a colour in 1542

New Orange.
New Amsterdam was founded by the Dutch in 1653, taken by the English in 1664 and renamed New York, then retaken by the Dutch in 1673 and renamed New Orange. Under the Treaty of Westminster in 1674 the city was ceded to the English and New York became its permanent name.

Orange punishment
In Spanish, anaranjear means, literally, to 'orangicate' , to pelt something with oranges.

I desperately want to orangicate something now.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 7:11 am

it does sound pretty tempting..

from the QI elves' twitter.. "Butch Cassidy trained as a butcher - that's how he got his name"

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 8:55 am

Midge Ure was briefly in Thin Lizzy to finish a tour. in his words he was "the worst guitarist" they ever had :lol: