"I took my time, I hurried up. The choice was mine, I didn't

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 8:29 pm

"I took my time, I hurried up. The choice was mine, I didn't think enough."

The lyrics to a Blink 182 song. How can he say he took his time, but he hurried up? Does that make any sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvJZKzLIMNc

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 8:33 pm

lol. I've had these thoughts. Humans can be so illogical. Especially when they are trying to be all artisitic.

One of my favorite singers has a line in a song "Well if it's snowing in brooklyn then I'd say snow is what we've got." Well, yah, but what the hell does that mean? If we have snow we have snow? Why are you wasting your breath saying that?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 11:59 pm

A lot of lyrics don't make make sense half of the time. Sometimes it can be funny. For example in "Blowing In The Wind" the song starts out "How many roads must a man walk down, before they call him a man?"
Well, they already called him a man, so none I guess! :lol:

Okay there's obviously a deeper meaning to those lyrics, but it's still funny.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 11:49 pm

Maybe he took his time at 1st but then hurried up

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 2:23 am

They sound suspiciously like they are imitating Come As You Are- 'Come as you are, as you were, as I want you to be. As a friend, as a friend, as an old enemy. Take your time, hurry up, the choice is yours, don't be late.' the whole song is a mass of contradictions, ironically or deliberately Kurt swears he doesn't have a gun and he ended up with his head blown apart sadly. He was a riddle of a lyricist sometimes.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 8:29 am

DancingCorpse wrote:
They sound suspiciously like they are imitating Come As You Are- 'Come as you are, as you were, as I want you to be. As a friend, as a friend, as an old enemy. Take your time, hurry up, the choice is yours, don't be late.' the whole song is a mass of contradictions, ironically or deliberately Kurt swears he doesn't have a gun and he ended up with his head blown apart sadly. He was a riddle of a lyricist sometimes.

It sounds to me more like a schizophrenic trying to express what it feels like to have so many differing and sometimes upsetting thoughts/ideas in his head all at once.