Page 142 of 151 [ 2416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 151  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 5:53 pm

keira wrote:
Nice flowers, Tequila.

Thank you very much, keira. Much obliged, miss. :)

Underscore wrote:
I like the pictures, Tequila. It is so easy for a person that has not been there to get a sense of how it looks like. That must be a talent

Cheers, Underscore. There's thousands more like that on my Flickr photostream, by the way. If you click on one of my photos, it'll take you straight to the stream. :)

heatherbk wrote:
lovely photos tequila!

Grazie, heatherbk! :)

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:45 am

Hey Tequila,

Would you say the high quality of your photos is based on the type of camera you own, or is it mostly enhanced afterward in Photoshop or some other program?

Don't get me wrong, you're talented, but the technical aspect: is it camera type or post-shoot enhancement or both?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 9:55 am

again_with_this wrote:
Hey Tequila,

Would you say the high quality of your photos is based on the type of camera you own, or is it mostly enhanced afterward in Photoshop or some other program?

Don't get me wrong, you're talented, but the technical aspect: is it camera type or post-shoot enhancement or both?

Mainly the camera, the Panasonic DMC-FZ150. I shoot in 'P' mode with -1/3 EV, mainly. Other thing is that I'm not quite happy with the oversharpened nature of the photos - I may need to turn down the in-camera sharpness processing settings as they may be a touch too high. :)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 2:18 pm

OK, more photos from Southport.

The Marine Way Bridge:

Ulster loyalist flags on loyalist stalls in Princes Park, Southport:

An ice cream van at the field:

The entrance to the Lakeside Miniature Railway, just outside Princes Park:

Pedalo boats on Marine Lake:

The Southport Bowling Club:

The bar area of The Phoenix, a pub company house on Coronation Walk. I enjoyed a couple of pints on the Twelfth!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 2:51 pm

Revellers outside the pub:

A bright white and yellow ice cream van on a park on a hot summer's day in a nearby village:

A bizarrely-named shop in the centre of Clitheroe:

A small portion of mild chicken and baby spinach coconut curry taken at a local supermarket café:

Some photos taken in Ramsbottom:

The exterior of Ramsbottom Children's Centre:

The exterior of a chemist:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 5:23 pm

The "Tilted Vase" sculpture in the centre of Ramsbottom is by Edward Allington, and is both classical in shape to reflect the surrounding buildings but apparently bolted together to reflect the old industries, is located in Market Place. This piece of work, weighing around two tons and locally known as 'the Urn', was funded with £250,000 of National Lottery money:

Rows of shops on Bridge Street:

A Mediterranean-style salad I had in a café. It wasn't brilliant and being drowned in olive oil didn't help. Not cheap either - £6.30 I think this was. Actually, Ramsbottom as a whole seemed rather expensive:

St. Paul's Church, in the centre of Ramsbottom - it's the main Church of England premises in the town:

The Ramsbottom branch of RBS, on Bridge Street/Crow Lane:

And another look up Bridge Street:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 9:15 am

A branch of NatWest on Bridge Street:

A coffee shop and a branch of Barclays, also on Bridge Street:

A pub called The Railway, on Railway Street. Apparently the place isn't much good:

A look up Railway Street:

A Ramsbottom Railway Station building on the bridge at Bridge Street:

Views of the train track on the East Lancashire Railway heritage line:

Another shot of a Ramsbottom railway station building:

And one of the River Irwell:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 6:28 pm

An abandoned supermarket shopping trolley that has been dumped in the River Irwell:

Another photograph of the river and the bridge:

Another photo of the platform at the ELR railway station at Ramsbottom:

A train has arrived at the station...

...and here's the interior of the driver's cabin. Shot whilst they were putting more coal in:

The driver waiting to set off:

A Chinese restaurant just around the corner from the railway station:

And a car park, located on Irwell Street:

That concludes the photos from Ramsbottom. Tune in during the near future for more photos!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 5:38 pm

This should make some folks here laugh.

http://dog-shaming.com/image/30150252182

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 8:37 pm

Tequila, the colours in your photos always look so lush!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 9:15 pm

OK, how about a little more?

This time, we visit the Yorkshire town of Holmfirth. Holmfirth is situated in West Yorkshire, around beautiful countryside. It's a market town with a population of around 2000 and is also close to the Peak District National Park. The town is famous locally (and further afield) for being the shooting location for the long-running BBC TV comedy series Last of the Summer Wine and all of the shooting locations are based in and around Holmfirth and a lot of tourism to the town is related to the series. More information about Holmfirth can be found at the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmfirth)

Right, so the short explanation is done - how about some photos?

We parked up on one of the car parks just outside the town centre on the Huddersfield Road Car Park. It was remarkably cheap actually: We parked opposite this spot:

The pay and display board at the car park! 60p for two hours is remarkable value for England - usually it's a lot more expensive:

This is the town's local library, situated on the main road through Holmfirth (Huddersfield Road):

One of the main streets in the heart of the town centre. There's various shops and other bits and pieces that you would expect to see - although it's more geared to tourists, it's not without its charm. Also worth noting is that there is a very cheap general store where you can buy drinks for around half the price of the newsagent just a few doors up:

The junction of the A635. Also, note the van that can be seen in one of the previous shots!

This is the junction, and the centre of the town really:

The building in this picture is a former cinema and has been put to new use as a music venue/theatre:

This café regularly featured on Last of the Summer Wine, as it was the main local eaterie in the series. It's a real café and you can go and sit outside and have a drink or a wee snack:

I hope you enjoyed these! More to come soon!

blue_bean wrote:
Tequila, the colours in your photos always look so lush!

Thank you! You might be surprised to know that I'm actually using the normal mode on my camera - there is a special "Vivid" mode, and if you think these photos (all taken on normal mode) look colourful you'd be absolutely stunned at how photos look on Vivid!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

Continuing my photos from Holmfirth.

Here's a view of the Old Bridge Hotel, in the centre of the town:

This is a tour bus owned by Summerwine Coaches, which does tours of of the locations used in Last of the Summer Wine, which are mainly in and around the Holmfirth area. The starting point for the tour is outside Sid's Café in the town centre:

This is South Lane/Dunford Road in the centre of Holmfirth. As you can see, it has a rather sharp incline:

A narrow street in the centre of Holmfirth. In the shot is a confectioners and a pizza parlour:

A sandwich board for a local café:

A shot of the river that runs through Holmfirth:

The Elephant and Castle pub:

A last shot of Huddersfield Road before leaving the town:

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 4:49 pm

Gosh that all looks familiar. I used to live 10 minutes drives from Holmfirth 2 years ago

It has a massive antiques shop that has lots of random junk in it

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 4:55 pm

These are some pics of some posh wankers house n' garden in Suffolk. Traditionally these gardens were used by the servants to grow food. But as that need was superseded by better transport links to these far flung places they were turned over into gardens instead. Though they still grow food here too.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 8:18 am

Lovely!

I wanna English Garden!

Dear Tequila, what is 'Americang' ' in the menu board for that restaurant?

Sylkat

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 8:31 am

More photos. These were taken in Lees.

Lees (pop. 10,100) is a suburban village within the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies amongst the Pennines on elevated ground on the east side of the River Medlock, 1.8 miles (2.9 km) east of Oldham, and 8.2 miles (13.2 km) east-northeast of Manchester. Historically, Lees has been positioned on the Lancashire side of the ancient county boundary with the West Riding of Yorkshire, giving rise to a part of Lees being known locally as County End.

Lees is believed to have obtained its name in the 14th century from John de Leghes, a retainer of the local Lord of the Manor. For centuries, Lees was a conglomeration of hamlets, ecclesiastically linked with the township of Ashton-under-Lyne. Farming was the main industry of this rural area, with locals supplementing their incomes by hand-loom weaving in the domestic system. At the beginning of the 19th century Lees had obtained a reputation for its mineral springs; ambitions to develop Lees into a spa town were thwarted by an unplanned process of urbanisation caused by introduction and profitability of textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution.

Lees expanded into a factory village during the late-19th century on the back of neighbouring Oldham's booming cotton spinning sector. The former Lees Urban District, an area of 0.4 square miles (1 km2),[4] had eleven cotton mills at its manufacturing zenith. People from Lees include Helen Bradley, a 20th century oil painter.

I didn't like it much at all when I visited. I thought it was very run-down and rather grotty. Anyway, here are the photos from when I went last month:

This is Church Street/Hartshead Street in Lees:

The Red Lion, one of the main pubs in the village:

A borded up former hair salon. Quite a lot of Lees is boarded-up:

A sandwich board for a Lees café:

The side of Milan Bar in Lees:

The exterior of Legends Café Bar:

A day nursery for liddle kiddywinkles!