I'm dead afraid of the dark, what are your phobias?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2011, 8:40 pm

I'm a pretty big sissy, and I got a lot of phobias, but chief among them is certainly my fear of darkness. It's just so incontrolable! People just tell me ''pick up a flashlight'' but it does not work! (BTW what is the name for the fear of the darkness?)

And you, what are your BIG phobias?

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2011, 8:55 pm

I am rather agoraphobic. You know, the usual. Panic attacks, anxiousness. Makes the stunning a whole lot worse than it needs to be.
It causes me to avoid certain places, people, thoughts, and even words.
For example, it makes me afraid of Halloween Horror Nights, which makes me afraid of Universal Studios and zombies.
I don't like the sound of wind, and I don't like absolute silence.

I get panic attacks not only due to anxiousness (I got a panic attack at HHN and that's why I avoid it) but also when I'm too energetic or I over-exercized.

Pretty much that. Not really a fear of open-spaces as the smaller things.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 9:39 pm

I wouldn't exactly call it big, but I'm not too fond of open-air heights. Not enough to keep me from climbing smaller multi-story structures, jumping off first-floor roofs (both of which I haven't done in years, though) or going up to the balcony/edge of scenic overlooks, but probably enough to keep me from going skydiving. I used to hate roller coasters because of the height of the first big hill, too; but now, not so much.

I used to be afraid of the dark as well when I was a kid (I can thank the movie Aliens for that), but now, that's almost gone away entirely, and now I just wonder whether I'm going to run into, or trip over something in the dark.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 9:45 pm

My biggest fears are heights, the dark, deep water and older teenage boys but not all older teenage boys.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 12:09 am

I am afraid of heights (i freeze after about 12 feet), open or deep water (i am not a strong swimmer), ships (i dose not matter if they are in the water or on land, i seriously dislike them), and i am afraid of the dark. And this one dose not extend to the point of a phobia but i am afraid of cows (not just bull's or ones with horn :roll: ).

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 12:19 am

fear of the dark can be known as nyctophobia, scotophobia, lygophobia or achluophobia although fudo thinks the last two refer to twilight...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nba3Tr_GLZU&feature=related[/youtube]

i suffer from mysophobia & mild agoraphobia.

eudaimonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2011, 2:44 am

My fears seem rather convoluted.. I am not afraid of bugs, but as a child I had a pervasive fear of whales. Just the thought of the vastness of a whale, and my thoughts turned to myself swimming inside of a whale.. seems like a religious upbringing was haunting me! Baleen was very strange and therefore terrifying when I was a kid. I appreciate whales now.

Heights don't bother me either, though sometimes when I'm standing on a curb, I'll look down and feel some vertigo. Usually it's because I'm thinking about the concept 'distance' and how this small distance is a relative cliff. I love being in very high places. Every new building I have moved to, within a few weeks my mission becomes: get on the roof.

Then I guess I'll have to throw in social phobia and occasional agoraphobia (for me it's just laziness much of the time. I love leaving my spot as long as no one requires me to do much and I can wander as pleases me).

I love dark though. It's such a treat to be able to isolate my senses from distraction. Takes me awhile to fall asleep at night, and often I'll just be laying there tripping out on what my eyes see in the dark.

Fire, too. Fire good.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:24 am

i'm totally spooked by stinging insects like bees. if there is a buzzing bee inside with me, i cannot rest until i have sucked it up with my vacuum cleaner. trust me, you don't want to be with me and a bee in my car, while i am driving. if there is a spider somewhere in my tin can, i cannot rest until i have humanely picked it up and placed it back outside. wish i could do the same with mice. hypodermic needles scare the crap out of me, i get weak and pale when i see one has my name on it. shots hurt like hell, and i am scared of pain like nothing else.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:53 am

Thalassophobia

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 8:30 am

^^ Yaaye greetings everyone. I believe that wasps are very lovely, however I believe that I may be perhaps very frightened of poor wasps and also happy buzzing noises.

deadinhead
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:45 am

mild agarophobia.

COCONUT-MOON TURTLE!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 2:54 am

I have emetophobia (fear of vomiting) and pseudodysphagia (fear of choking).

keira
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 4:26 am

Entomophobia. Bugs.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:49 am

so i just found out that what i have is called "apiphobia"[fear of bees] as well as Aichmophobia [fear of sharp pointy objects like hypodermic needles].

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:26 pm

Railroad tracks make me very upset if I have to walk across, on or near them. It's an aspect of siderodromophobia. It sounds ridiculous but is very real.

I don't have a problem travelling by train, though.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Mar 2011, 8:42 pm

I'm not afraid of the dark(that was a great show on Nickelodeon thou) but I do not like total darkness because I have a very bad sense of direction & am clumsy. I have lots of anxiety issues but not sure if I have any phobias except for maybe making mistakes; screwing something up that would cause major problems. I avoid taking responsibility & trying to become more independent as a result

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition