Does anyone really look forward to the future?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2011, 3:50 pm

Note: this is completely unrelated to aspergers.

I for a matter a fact look really forward to the future, I'm not saying this in a general sense. Obviously poverty, wars, people dying, ... will continue for as long as humans live, that's not what this is about.
I'm talking mostly about technology, I feel that technology is going to make our lives so much easier on different aspects. There's the fact that new medicine will continue to be invented and old medicine will continue to be upgraded. It's almost certain that there's gonna be a cure for cancer, Aids and other horrible diseases in the near future. Stem cell research is also looking very promising or even the regeneration of lost issue etc....
Work will be so much easier because of new inventions, new techniques, better looking tools, better looking desks,... For example, my parents used to do a desk job and their work place was pretty sad. It looked so old, their desks were so ugly, their seats uncomfortable, their PC couldn't do crap, there was no airco. How could anyone look forward to going to work. When I look at the workplace of today everything is so modern and so good looking, chairs are made to prevent backpain and are comfortable, Pc's can do much more, etc... I would gladly go to work just because the setting of the workplace is so easy on the eyes.
Then there's the home equipment or even the houses. Houses these days look much more modern, seats are more comfortable, I'm not gonna go into much more detail here but you know what I'm getting at.
Cars keep getting better looking, they have more features than ever, they're more safe, etc...
I think I made my point, I think it's a bright future ahead of is and it's only going to get better the longer we live.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 4:48 pm

That is an interesting outlook. Good for you. (I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically.)
I'd like to believe that everything will get better, but the more I learn about history, the more I feel like we, as humans, never change. :lol:

Personally, I have trouble keeping up with the present. XD
And I haven't seen a better looking car than my old 1988 BMW, may she RIP. :cry:

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 4:50 pm

Yes, especially after my interest in Michio Kaku began.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 5:00 pm

kruger4 wrote:
Note: this is completely unrelated to aspergers.

I for a matter a fact look really forward to the future, I'm not saying this in a general sense. Obviously poverty, wars, people dying, ... will continue for as long as humans live, that's not what this is about.
I'm talking mostly about technology, I feel that technology is going to make our lives so much easier on different aspects. There's the fact that new medicine will continue to be invented and old medicine will continue to be upgraded. It's almost certain that there's gonna be a cure for cancer, Aids and other horrible diseases in the near future. Stem cell research is also looking very promising or even the regeneration of lost issue etc....
Work will be so much easier because of new inventions, new techniques, better looking tools, better looking desks,... For example, my parents used to do a desk job and their work place was pretty sad. It looked so old, their desks were so ugly, their seats uncomfortable, their PC couldn't do crap, there was no airco. How could anyone look forward to going to work. When I look at the workplace of today everything is so modern and so good looking, chairs are made to prevent backpain and are comfortable, Pc's can do much more, etc... I would gladly go to work just because the setting of the workplace is so easy on the eyes.
Then there's the home equipment or even the houses. Houses these days look much more modern, seats are more comfortable, I'm not gonna go into much more detail here but you know what I'm getting at.
Cars keep getting better looking, they have more features than ever, they're more safe, etc...
I think I made my point, I think it's a bright future ahead of is and it's only going to get better the longer we live.

A subscription to Wired magazine is on its' way to your house.

But I do understand your viewpoint. I even have it, although less than I used to. I think humans will muddle through as we always have and keep thinking up fixes to whatever our latest problems are. I don't think there will be a shiny utopia. But neither do I think there will be a grim dystopia. In my lifetime (44 years and counting) there have been a combination of amazing technological inventions and heartening sociological changes that give me hope. There have also been horrors that make me despair. But humans always seem to pull through. Two steps forward. One step back.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 5:27 pm

I am neutral about technology. For every problem it solves, it seems to make something equally detrimental. I quite like the Amish approach; they assess the pros and cons of a technology before they embrace it and embed it into their culture. I read about it somewhere.

As for cosmetic values... I think modern things generally look more unpleasant than they used to. Affordable cars are getting more and more characterless each year. Very generic.

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2011, 6:10 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
Yes, especially after my interest in Michio Kaku began.

What does Michio Kaku have to say about this? And where can I read some good stuff about him?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 6:39 pm

I look forward to seeing what TV, computers and the Internet are going to look like in the future. At the same time, I'm more Past minded than I am present minded or future minded. I like the cars and technology of the 60s.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 6:44 pm

kruger4 wrote:
... I feel that technology is going to make our lives so much easier on different aspects ...

That is an old promise that has yet to ever come true and likely never will. Conveniences experienced become necessities, and then more capital and work are required to keep things moving along.

I grew up being told "modern technology" would soon have us all living like the Jetsons and working only 20 hours per week ...

... and now here are we all still slaving away.

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2011, 7:01 pm

leejosepho wrote:
kruger4 wrote:
... I feel that technology is going to make our lives so much easier on different aspects ...

That is an old promise that has yet to ever come true and likely never will. Conveniences experienced become necessities, and then more capital and work are required to keep things moving along.

I grew up being told "modern technology" would soon have us all living like the Jetsons and working only 20 hours per week ...

... and now here are we all still slaving away.

I'm not talking about the Jetsons, I'm thinking in realistic terms here. And obviously we won't work less but it will be less stressful. Of course for aspies that's a whole different story.

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2011, 7:02 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I look forward to seeing what TV, computers and the Internet are going to look like in the future. At the same time, I'm more Past minded than I am present minded or future minded. I like the cars and technology of the 60s.

I'm not sure if you know this but being present minded is much healthier and less stressful.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 7:42 pm

kruger4 wrote:
I'm not talking about the Jetsons, I'm thinking in realistic terms here. And obviously we won't work less but it will be less stressful. Of course for aspies that's a whole different story.

What would be different for Aspies? More or less work than for others, or more or less stress than for others? In any case, it is not my intent to smash your hope. I am simply saying "the future will be better" is an old promise mankind will just never be able to fill.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 9:04 pm

the terrors of the past are collectively chasing us all into the future, only some folk are confused like stressed-out horses who run back into the flaming soon-to-be-history barn. i myself have been timidly backing into the future for as long as i can remember.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 1:21 am

I have fantasies about what WP will be like in the future.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 1:32 am

kruger4 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I'm not sure if you know this but being present minded is much healthier and less stressful.

Not for me. It stresses me out. I'm quite happy to be living in the British 60s. The more I'm told to live in the present, the more I want to listen to The Kinks. After all, I'm a rebel. I've tried the living in the present thing in 2007 and 2008. I ran out of steam in 2009. What works for one person, might not work for another person.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 2:42 am

I hope that I didn't offend anybody.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 6:28 am

I do look forward to the future as well, technologically speaking :)

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!