Page 3 of 24 [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next

earthtoerika
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2011, 2:03 pm

danandlouie wrote:
note to EARTHTOERIKA......thank you for taking in rainman. not too long ago i was part of an animal sanctuary that took in the most damaged of the damaged. we fondly called ourselves the 'home for the hopeless'. we knew dogs, cats and rabbits but were not up on birds or lizards. we could have used you!

one of our macaws,maxie, had been 'owned' for about 10 years by an elderly lady who kept her for her grandkids to play with. those little bastards would throw things at her and taught her to say terrible things. she was locked in a conure size cage and never let out. finally the old b***h died and her daughter called us to take maxie. we could not say no and she came to our place. she would hurt you at any chance.

we constructed a 120 cubic foot enclosure for her, her first chance to spread her wings in more than 10 years. she had picked every feather she could get to, something we could never get her to stop. her veterinarian devised a correct diet for her. we did everything we could for her. she eventually would accept myself and the lady who owned the property and stopped with the cursing. she would call out to us by saying 'mother' and one day crawled on the directors shoulder and walked around with her. tears were flowing. all the hard work we had put in to help maxie was paying off in several ways.

i hope you and rain man have many good years together.

Thanks for the kind words, and bless you for all you did to help that macaw. Parrots have such a hard life in this world, and it's always heartwarming to hear of one that found a happy ending.

My husband deserves most of the credit for rehabilitating our parrot... he's the one who is able to pretend something doesn't hurt when it does, so he can be bitten without giving the bird the automatic reward of getting a reaction for the bite. Once a parrot learns that biting does him no good, he bites a lot less.

Choala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2011, 6:20 pm

These are my parents dogs, Seppe and Dribbel. They're both amazing and amazingly stubborn. Seppe is an American/English bulldog cross. Dribbel is the ugliest and cutest white boxer ever.

One of the last pictures that was taken of my cat. She stayed at my parents house after I moved out. Every time I came to visit, if she was out, she would run to me, mewing for attention. :( I miss her so much

This is my dog. Tygo. Little stubborn, hyperactive guy. He may be small, but doesn't act like a small dog. It has it's pro's, it's free to take him with me on the bus or train, he's fast enough to run next to me on the bike yet small enough to go in a basket when it's to hot, it's cheaper feeding a small dog and he doesn't need as much room.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 4:19 am

This is Fiesta Cat. I got him from animal welfare as an adult cat. He was rescued from a retirement villiage and was very skinny when we got him. His favorite food is cabbage.
[img][800:768]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/solvejg_aus/24102010067.jpg[/img]

This is Butterscotch schnapps. Or Schnappy cat. We got her at the same time as fiesta, but she was a kitten.[img][800:768]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/solvejg_aus/24102010064.jpg[/img]

This is Mango Cat. I found her in the bushes a year ago when she was a 3week old kitten. I fed her with a syringe to save her life. (Animal welfare and RSPCA said she would be put down if we took her in because she was so young.[img][800:768]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/solvejg_aus/24102010063.jpg[/img]

Finally but not least is Kirby. He is a rare breed pedigree (won't mention which one as i don't want to be googled (yes he is that rare). He is approx 75kgs in weight.[img][800:768]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/solvejg_aus/24102010071.jpg[/img]

So I'm never in a rush

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 5:23 am

“my cats” by Charles Bukowski

I know. I know.
they are limited, have different
needs and
concerns.

but I watch and learn from them.
I like the little they know,
which is so
much.

they complain but never
worry,
they walk with a surprising dignity.
they sleep with a direct simplicity that
humans just can’t
understand.

their eyes are more
beautiful than our eyes.
and they can sleep 20 hours
a day
without
hesitation or
remorse.

when I am feeling
low
all I have to do is
watch my cats
and my
courage
returns.

I study these
creatures.

they are my
teachers.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 10:23 am

This is my rescued golden retriever, Toby:

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 12:07 pm

My cat Charlie who died today. He was 16 years and one month old. I got him when he was 8 weeks old, when I was at university. Apart from my mother he is the being I have had the longest relationship with.

[img][800:768]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac243/merrypippin2009/IMG_0002.jpg[/img]

[img][800:768]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac243/merrypippin2009/IMG_0121.jpg[/img]

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 12:44 pm

Are people with AS able to take care of their pets?
I was planning to get myself a kitten but was worrried bcos i get mood swings
plus i have a little son to take care of

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 12:51 pm

namaste wrote:

i have no problem with it :D

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 1:00 pm

Titangeek wrote:
namaste wrote:

i have no problem with it :D

:D ok but im nervous to get a pet
i cant gather enough courage to get one

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 5:50 am

Henbane wrote:
My cat Charlie who died today. He was 16 years and one month old. I got him when he was 8 weeks old, when I was at university. Apart from my mother he is the being I have had the longest relationship with.

I am very sorry for this, Henbane. ^^ I believe that Charlie is very beautiful.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Apr 2011, 5:20 pm

This is Avalon. I found her at the pound in my city. It was love at first sight! I've had her for nearly six years. She was 9 months old when I got her.
Here's another pic:

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 1:21 am

Here's one of my cats, Marvin.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 2:47 am

OMG so many cute pets. :heart:

Couldn't help but notice the amount of cat owners. I'll have to upload some of mine.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2011, 11:21 am

MissConstrue wrote:
OMG so many cute pets. :heart:

Couldn't help but notice the amount of cat owners. I'll have to upload some of mine.

I'd love to see pics of your cats, MissConstrue! You have mentioned them so many times.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2011, 4:33 am

[img][800:583]http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/245/e/1/goku_s_big_belly_by_alicesacco-d2xuu2h.jpg[/img]
This is my Goku! She is ten years old and she is a cancer survivor (she got VAS about 19 months ago)

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Apr 2011, 10:45 am

Nordlys wrote:
[img][800:583]http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/245/e/1/goku_s_big_belly_by_alicesacco-d2xuu2h.jpg[/img]
This is my Goku! She is ten years old and she is a cancer survivor (she got VAS about 19 months ago)

Oh my God! She's gorgeous! I wish I could rub her yummy tummy. :)