Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

With the news full of disasters and disruptions, I've been double-checking my emergency evacuation kit. It seems you never know when you might have to grab a bag and go. (If you're spared in the first place.) Some people could be dumped half-naked on any street in the world and make their way, but I'm not one of them, so I'd better have my basic supplies with me.

Take food, for instance. Even if I were lucky enough to be fed in a shelter, it would likely prove problematic. I'm allergic to milk, which is an ingredient in just about everything. So within a day I'd have the trots in a building with already strained bathroom facilities. It's not a pretty thought. I'd have to carry at least some food--dried fruit, crackers, granola bars, jerky--with me. Then there's medicines. And how about money, with all the ATMs down? And noise--better slip in some ear plugs!

Anybody else pack or at least plan for disasters?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 5:50 pm

My life is an ongoing disaster.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 6:21 pm

I'm sure it's a good idea. I'm sure I should have bottled water stocked up and such as well. But actually doing it is another matter. :oops:

This reminds me though of the time I woke up in the middle of the night because extremely high winds were causing the whole house to creak. So I got up, put on some clothes, and promptly went back to sleep. At least I wouldn't have woken up naked with the walls missing around me? Heh.

deadinhead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 6:29 pm

on the slight chance that I am effected I am not prepared ,i see it as a waste of time preparing.. however if a national disaster struck i dont think i would be saying the same thing..no...but i have no specific diet requirements etc so yeah...I could get with it i think

COCONUT-MOON TURTLE!

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 7:19 pm

One of my AP teachers (who I, oddly enough, just received an email from as I read this thread) is obsessed with the subject.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 8:38 pm

Survival kits are awesome. I turned my old backpack into one. I have ducktape, rope, water, some food. It's for emergencies but it's a neat project.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 9:22 pm

I need to Google a checklist.

Ikonovich
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2011, 9:46 pm

I have a bugout bag and my choice of weapons ready to go at all times.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:43 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
One of my AP teachers (who I, oddly enough, just received an email from as I read this thread) is obsessed with the subject.

Synchronicity?

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 7:34 am

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:
Survival kits are awesome. I turned my old backpack into one. I have ducktape, rope, water, some food. It's for emergencies but it's a neat project.

Yes. My kit is heavy on things that adapt and connect: tape, wire, clips, twine, needles and thread. Plus a couple of multi-tools. I figure there will be stuff around, the trick is to make it useful. Another trick is to keep the pack light, which is why I keep reviewing the contents.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 7:37 am

You might find that you'd fare better than you'd expect. Still, it's always good to be prepared.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 8:29 am

I haven't even started a kit. Is there a cheap way to put one together? At least I have a good supply of undergarments.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:14 pm

I've become a little bit obsessed with food rations, like emergency food rations and military meals. Especially the US MREs, and have found a website I can order them from. I really want to review one or two for youtube, I've seen other people reviewing them and they get mixed reactions. But the one that always has the same reaction is the cheese and vegetable omelet which is notorious for being disgusting, and is basically a thing of legends (and many in-jokes) within the military.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:19 pm

Moog wrote:
My life is an ongoing disaster.

:lol:

I don't have a kit - just stuff in my car in case I break down and fire extinguishers in my house.

Ikonovich
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2011, 5:36 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I've become a little bit obsessed with food rations, like emergency food rations and military meals. Especially the US MREs, and have found a website I can order them from. I really want to review one or two for youtube, I've seen other people reviewing them and they get mixed reactions. But the one that always has the same reaction is the cheese and vegetable omelet which is notorious for being disgusting, and is basically a thing of legends (and many in-jokes) within the military.

Oh the cheese and veggie omelet...Such horror.

Tip: The best one, IMO, is the pork rib. Tastes just like a McRib, probably made the same way. The veggie burger is also good - Tastes much more like beef than the beef patty. The pastas are generally pretty good as well.

The only ones I've ever had that I didn't want to finish off were the omelet and the tuna, but that's because I hate tuna and it comes with this freaking tortilla shell that cracks and spills tuna all over you if you try to use it. Ugh.

markko
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2011, 6:54 pm

I have two cases of bottled water and two cases of MRE's. I also have all the go-pack stuff next to them ready to go.