Features on phone change suddenly (little rant)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 5:03 pm

Ugh, I get so annoyed with updates sometimes, when they change small features while you're unaware.
Like when I click on the wrench icon at the top right of the (internet) screen, the bookmarks option has always been third down and I automatically press that to get straight to my favourite pages (like WP). But just yesterday there must have been some update because all of a sudden the bookmarks button is now sixth or seventh down and I've got to consciously look for it before tapping. It's like they do an automatic update, which is fair enough, but then decide to put emphasis on the update by pointlessly switching some features around. :evil:
Gggr!! Also when autocorrect corrects a word that I don't want corrected, it used to change back to how I wrote the word when tapping the backspace button, but now I've got to erase the whole word to type the word I wanted back in.
:?: :| :?

Anyone know what I mean? (Not looking for advice BTW).

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 5:22 pm

Yes, I know what you mean. Gmail have updated their icon and I keep having to look for it. In my head I still think it's a red M.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 6:19 pm

I usually don't like when the user interface changes. It's rarely for the better unless they're restoring an old feature that worked well and was eliminated previously.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 8:26 pm

Yes. :lol: Quite why I do not do auto updates and being keen on the option buttons or go beyond that.
Also auto updates are a headache on the phone's background...

As for features itself -- the complaint isn't unusual.
Most humans would have the same complaints; mostly to do with their already accumulated associations, pattern recognitions and their muscle memories.

Many just do not speak out of any complaints. :lol:
For deeming it as relatively a 'minor' issue, that they could've just overcome overtime or that it's not them who dictates the content.
It's also a hit-or-miss thing.

Most interface changes are annoying for me.
I had to unlearn and relearn, some of it subtle as it seem, all over again. :x

Worse if the change is intrusive or obstructing, and this is not limited to phone changes or software updates.
But to pretty much to everything related in regular use.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 8:36 pm

It is a bit like when my Mum goes shopping, and they re-arrange the supermarket and she can't find what she is looking for.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 9:37 pm

That's one of the reasons that I won't get myself a smart phone.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 6:25 am

I detest updates. But eventually things stop working if you don’t update. I never know if it is an update problem or if I have unwittingly changed some obscure setting.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 12:33 pm

My phone is so old it won’t update.Same with my “antique” IPad 2.They both still work, but the tablet is slow as molasses.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 12:38 pm

I understand. My phone OS was still updatable, but only by connecting it to a computer and downloading the new OS. I have to keep things up to date because of my work.

On the other hand...the system the state uses for budgets and data requires Windows Explorer 10 and not the the one. Used to be it only worked on 8 or 9.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Dec 2020, 4:26 pm

That can be very frustrating. I actually used a Droid 4 till the beginning of this year because I really liked having an actual physical keypad. The OS quit updating years ago which meant most of my other apps also quit updating. I really liked not having anything suddenly change on me. However there were problems due to some of the various apps not being able to update. Eventually only half the websites would actually work on my phone's browser. Also I quit being able to use the yahoo email app so I was forced to resort to using my gmail app for my yahoo email which had various glitches including most images in my yahoo emails not displaying. I stuck with the phone thou cuz I did NOT want to have to learn a new one & having a physical keypad was very helpful for me when I was sending texts or emails. The last few years I mostly just used my phone for those purposes besides making phone calls.

My Droid 4 fell & broke at the end of last year so I got a new phone which is the LG V40 ThinQ. It took a bit of getting used to but things worked OK at 1st. However there was an OS update that screwed my spell check up. My girlfriend noticed that my typing suddenly got a lot worse. More words were misspelled & lots of wrong words were in there. There were lots of times when I noticed that spell check gave me the wrong word & I would backspace to try retyping the word & spell check would auto change the word again. There were times I would try retyping the word like 10x in a row only for spell check to auto change it to the same wrong word every time. Some of those times I was certain that I was typing & spelling the word I wanted correctly but spell check decided to change it to the same wrong word every single f#cking time. I turned the spell check off because it is usually a lot easier for others to figure out what I meant to say when I misspell the words myself instead of spell check auto changing them to words that make no logical sense there. 1ce I turned the spell check off, my phone would randomly open the animated emoji menu & I sometimes accidnetly inserted one. I changed another setting to stop having that bar on top which did stop my phone from opening the animated emoji menu. However I have another problem now. Sometimes while trying text messages, emails, or posts on here, the icon thing where I'm typing randomly jumps to a different point in my message. I'm typing at the end of a message & I suddenly start typing in the begging or middle of it very randomly. When I change phones again, I really hope there is an option that does NOT use the android OS & is NOT apple. I want a phone that works well for texting, email, web browsing, & phone calls that does NOT have any of the extra junk bells & whistles. I do NOT want that f#cking spell check cr@p either that NEVER works for you.

Technology is so screwy I can NOT comprehend how the military can use drones. I would bet my life that if a nuclear missile would ever get launched, it's intended programed target would be the last place the missile would actually strike.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition