Something happening here; what it is ain’t exactly clear.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 8:56 pm

Weird day today. 30 minutes to renew my US drivers license from the moment I walked in the door to the moment I walked out, 10 minutes to obtain a form from the SSA, 15-20 minutes to obtain another form from the USVA. These were all in-person visits, not on-line.

Even more weird, all of the people I spoke with were friendly, smiling, and seemed to be having a good day. Remember, these were all government bureaucrats!

I finished up all of my business before the eclipse even started, so we can rule out any “spiritual influences”.

Granted, this is left-leaning, liberal California, but . . . bureaucrats!

:shrug:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 9:33 pm

This is a strange passage, which uses some emotional words like weird and even and“!”, but I can't understand the feelings it is trying to express.

Are you talking about the inefficiency of California's bureaucracy and expressing dissatisfaction with their adaptation to the status quo?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 9:40 pm

It seems to me that people are starting to be more kind. I think there's something in the air.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 11:03 pm

That has not been my experience most of the time with the SSA and the DMV. I have no experience with the USVA.

The DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in New Work was kind of nightmarish. They did have a person at the front to answer questions, but you had to know what questions to ask and they were very dismissive. The DMV in Texas was way nicer and more efficient.

The SSA was a total nightmare. They didn't even accept calls so the only way to ask a question was to go in person and there were long lines, and then they were actually mean. This was also in New York.

I'm glad you had a good experience!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Apr 2024, 11:08 pm

bee33 wrote:
That has not been my experience most of the time with the SSA and the DMV. I have no experience with the USVA.

The DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in New Work was kind of nightmarish. They did have a person at the front to answer questions, but you had to know what questions to ask and they were very dismissive. The DMV in Texas was way nicer and more efficient.

The SSA was a total nightmare. They didn't even accept calls so the only way to ask a question was to go in person and there were long lines, and then they were actually mean. This was also in New York.
This is an example of why some people are worried about suciety breaking down :skull: :twisted:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 2:00 pm

Maybe things are gradually getting better post trumplestiltskin? It's been a few years.. perhaps the trash is taking itself out via moving to Texas & Florida so those that remain have elevated moods ? :D

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 2:18 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Maybe things are gradually getting better post trumplestiltskin? It's been a few years.. perhaps the trash is taking itself out via moving to Texas & Florida so those that remain have elevated moods ? :D

Some of us live in Texas... :D The cities in Texas are blue: Austin, Houston, Dallas all voted for Hillary and Biden. In Houston we have had Democrats as mayors for quite a while. And like I said in my post, the DMV in Houston was much nicer than in NYC.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 5:30 pm

bee33 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Some of us live in Texas... :D The cities in Texas are blue: Austin, Houston, Dallas all voted for Hillary and Biden. In Houston we have had Democrats as mayors for quite a while. And like I said in my post, the DMV in Houston was much nicer than in NYC.

Everyone’s nicer to people when they assume everyone’s packing heat and could blow their brains out on a whim.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 7:15 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
bee33 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Everyone’s nicer to people when they assume everyone’s packing heat and could blow their brains out on a whim.

:D I know you're joking, but guns make people surly (if they have one) or skittish (if they think someone else has one). The nice people are the gunless ones.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 7:21 pm

Our MVA is as crowded and daunting LOOKING as ever. But they do get you in and out faster faster as the years go by.

So color me happy.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 7:34 pm

Strange things do happen. I talked to a service provider's chatbot in January, and instead of sending me in circles and spewing out barely-related sections of the FAQ, it quickly deduced that I needed to talk to a human, and gave me the necessary information to do that. And the human was also co-operative until at the end I started wasting his time too much with pedantic and somewhat unnecessary follow-up questions.

Even more bizarre, I had a boss who once broke character and told me I was working too hard.

Surprising that in a country so technologically advanced they still make drivers renew their licenses in person and manage to have 2 forms for it. When I renewed mine in the UK it was just one simple online form, option to lift the photo from my passport (previous license had no photo), then they said they'd mail it to me within 2 weeks, and it was only 3 days before it was delivered. I don't know how long it took me to fill in the form. Knowing me, I'd have been very rigorous and risk-averse about preparing and giving my answers to the questions, but that's not really their fault. Anyway, if I ever do get a USA driving license, I'll expect it to be a relatively bad experience even if they only have me jumping through hoops for half an hour.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 12:40 am

bee33 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
bee33 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

:D I know you're joking, but guns make people surly (if they have one) or skittish (if they think someone else has one). The nice people are the gunless ones.

Yeah; because they know they could get shot.

Every time I drive South it the border at all I’m even more polite on the road than normal.. I’ll move over to the right lane and let people pass etc because I don’t need any American style road rage hot lead coming at me at 2000 feet per second.