December 22 - January 19 (CAPRICORN) 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
January 20 - February 18 (AQUARIUS) 13%  13%  [ 13 ]
February 19 - March 20 (PISCES) 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 99

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 1:47 am

I never set out to prove astrology. I set out to prove that the "no evidence" argument is nonsensical and used by people who are biased (why you don't get this when I quite clearly said this is beyond me).

Which is why you should explain the Mars Effect. If you were unbiased, you could explain it logically. Those biased towards disbelief say it is random (or that it's made up, for those that aren't good at analyzing evidence at all). Those biased towards belief say it's proof. There is a third option that both are missing, and is only available to those that are not biased. My evidence is that you cannot explain it, except by saying that it's random.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 2:05 am

MrLoony wrote:
I never set out to prove astrology. I set out to prove that the "no evidence" argument is nonsensical and used by people who are biased

Anecdotal evidence =/= scientific evidence. And everyone is biased to some extent. You seem to be biased against the scientific community and debunking of pseudo-science. And the 'no evidence' statement is not nonsensical, it is a reflection of what the current consensus of the scientific community is. Being critical of ideas that have nothing but personal anecdotes to support them and yet millions of people buy into does not automatically mean 'bias', it is healthy skepticism. I don't see why you cannot respect that.

MrLoony wrote:
Which is why you should explain the Mars Effect. If you were unbiased, you could explain it logically. Those biased towards disbelief say it is random (or that it's made up, for those that aren't good at analyzing evidence at all). Those biased towards belief say it's proof. There is a third option that both are missing, and is only available to those that are not biased. My evidence is that you cannot explain it, except by saying that it's random.

Why would I need to explain the Mars Effect? It has no more scientific evidence than any other Astrology claim. And if you want a logical explanation, I recommend you look into the selection bias. That does not make 'random causation' the implication for the 'Mars Effect', but rather the selective methodology of the initial research itself. The selection bias is pretty well the best explanation for almost all Astrological claims. Mars is my favorite planet, btw :)

Off topic, but I was reading a bit of your blog and I rather like it. You have some interesting viewpoints. I've always thought Taoism and most Eastern philosophy is fascinating. My personal favorite ancient Eastern work is probably Sun Tzu - The Art of War. I just picked up a copy recently of the Bhagavad Gita (Hindu) that I intend to read through when I get the opportunity

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 3:08 am

But you're not a skeptic, you're a dismisser. You say that, because no evidence exists currently, it must not be true. I've already pointed out the problem with this, but I'll address it again:

1. Astrology is dismissed out of hand. For the record, this was also true with tea for a very long time (one of my examples). Doctors dismissed that it could have the health benefits associated with it. It's only recently that they've begun to accept the fact that it has a LOT of health benefits. There aren't any studies done that take a serious look at a correlation between particular factors of heavenly bodies and personality. Most of the studies done focus on whether or not predictions are accurate, if people can be fooled into thinking that an inaccurate reading is accurate, etc. Basically, they call astrologers into question, not astrology. There haven't been studies done on whether there's a statistically significant correlation between personality and the position of heavenly bodies (except for the Mars Effect, which is what makes it significant).

2. This assumes that you know all studies done, ever. You can't say this, for obvious reasons.

The problem with selection bias is that that it basically says that the Mars Effect is made up. There is another way of explaining it, though. If you'd like to hear my explanation (that both assumes that it doesn't prove astrology and that the Mars Effect actually exists), I will tell you.

Edit: PM'd you about off-topic stuff

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 3:49 am

MrLoony wrote:
But you're not a skeptic, you're a dismisser. You say that, because no evidence exists currently, it must not be true. I've already pointed out the problem with this, but I'll address it again:

No, I am a skeptic, because using scientific method, the various claims of Astrology are thus far not observable except by anecdotal evidence and what amounts essentially to cold reading. How does one go about testing the theories espoused by Astrologers in a scientific manner? Thus far some have tried, and the ones that show no evidence are usually ignored, while the research done by questionable scientists not working within the framework of falsifiability tends to be referenced as 'evidence' (The Mars Effect being perhaps the seminal example of this). If I was just going to dismiss Astrology I would not be engaging in this conversation, asking for evidence and giving you my time

I get really annoyed when I'm talking with people about Astronomy and the only things about planets and stars they seem to know is irrelevant Astrology 'facts'. It really bothers me that some people seem to equate Astrology with Astronomy. I'm very interested by virtually anything space related and it really pisses me off to no end that for some people the first thing that comes to mind when I mention I am an amateur astronomer is 'oh my sign is Libra'. Can you not see why that is harmful? It takes about the same amount of time to read about Astronomy and understand it at a basic level as it does Astrology, yet millions of people are unwilling to do this, despite the fact that only one out of these two fields actually accomplishes anything. Astrology is a multimillion dollar business. But what benefits has it provided the Human race (other than a few of them, hundreds of years ago, becoming Astronomers)? Asides the lack of scientific evidence, the lack of plausible, concrete benefits really leads me to believe that Astrology is essentially just a really big business, like any other form of entertainment. It also makes some people feel they can generalize others (negatively or positively, but either way, not a good thing) using Astrology as justification. In Indian society this has actually caused some harm. And you can be sure some bad decisions have been made because of Astrology

MrLoony wrote:
1. Astrology is dismissed out of hand. For the record, this was also true with tea for a very long time (one of my examples). Doctors dismissed that it could have the health benefits associated with it. It's only recently that they've begun to accept the fact that it has a LOT of health benefits.

Preferably tea without caffeine, I imagine. I'm quite partial to decaf tea myself (no caffeine for me, ever). I have read there are antioxidant benefits among other things. But I don't see these two things being equatable, because one can actually observe the benefits of tea in a laboratory environment or by doing hard research, which, evidently, was done.

MrLoony wrote:
There aren't any studies done that take a serious look at a correlation between particular factors of heavenly bodies and personality. Most of the studies done focus on whether or not predictions are accurate, if people can be fooled into thinking that an inaccurate reading is accurate, etc. Basically, they call astrologers into question, not astrology.

Well, why wouldn't they look into whether predictions are accurate? How is that not questioning Astrology? If the results are questionable on a consistent basis, there is definitely a flaw in the methodology- this methodology being 'Astrology'. And frankly, there are more important things in space to investigate other than the superstitious beliefs inherent to believing in the Zodiac as a guide to personality

MrLoony wrote:
There haven't been studies done on whether there's a statistically significant correlation between personality and the position of heavenly bodies (except for the Mars Effect, which is what makes it significant).

And yet these studies into the Mars Effect have been heavily criticized for being very evident of selection bias. And now there are ~2,000 newly discovered Extrasolar planets out there. What effect do they have? There are so many variables that one could easily read into and build a theory on little more than circumstantial evidence that could later make big money

MrLoony wrote:
The problem with selection bias is that that it basically says that the Mars Effect is made up. .

Not necessarily, the implication of the evident use of selection bias is that the initial research done into the Mars Effect is flawed and needs to be reopened and done by scientists who are going to do the research in a proper manner

MrLoony wrote:
There is another way of explaining it, though. If you'd like to hear my explanation (that both assumes that it doesn't prove astrology and that the Mars Effect actually exists), I will tell you

If you wish

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 4:40 am

When there is no good research being done, a skeptic says that neither way is certain. That's not what you said. A true skeptic is a person who questions BOTH sides.

My point with tea is that people do the same with with astrology as they used to do with tea: Dismiss the idea as absurd without actually examining it. It took a long time for doctors to start studying it, and they're only really beginning to look at these health benefits.

If I said that I'm a doctor, and you should drink mercury, would that disprove medicine? No. It only proves that I'm not qualified to speak as a doctor. Similarly, studying whether predictions made are accurate calls the astrologer into question, not astrology.

For the record, I am taking my having to explain this as proof of your bias:

Before I begin, I would like to point out that I am not a master of astrological terminology, so forgive me if a different word would be better suited to these explanations. (Edit: Also, please forgive me if the explanation is vague or incomplete. It's 2:45 AM here and I am quite tired)

First of all, in addition to a correlation found between championship-level athletes and Mars, there was a correlation found between prominent scientists and Saturn, as well as actors and Jupiter. There was one more correlation found, however, and that was between parent and child. Children that were born naturally (not induced) were found to be born around the same time as their parents, on average. This actually makes sense from a biological point of view. Our bodies are in tune with things we can't consciously process. Since the parent was born during a particular phase of Mars and survived to breed, the body knows that that is more likely to be a "safe" time to give birth. It's fairly well known that children are more likely to be like their parents than others (for example, bullies often come from the households of aggressive and intolerant parents) and that we tend to attract people much like ourselves (though if we can't find one, often we settle for someone else). From this, we can see that a statistical insignificant difference in personality can lead to a statistically significant difference (using this, I would say that if people born under a particular phase of Mars where it's slightly more common to find athletes would be more likely to have athletic children than those born under a phase where it's slightly less common, simply because of the fact that, in the first case, the parent is more likely to find an athletic person born in the same phase [Remember: Potentially biologically significant] than in the second, where the parent would have to find an unathletic mate and thus the child might develop to be like their unathletic parent). Remember that this would have a very small effect for each generation, but would add up over time. This can also explain how astrology came about without taking the assumption that it was just people making stuff up. It could very well be that they studied what people born during certain phase were like and came up with the beginnings of astrology.

Now, there's more to it than just that. (Before you read this explanation, know that I don't know how astrology worked for people born in a particular sign of Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. This explanation only works if the Mars Effect confirmed that people born under a particular part of Mars were more likely to be better athletes, etc) There's also the issue of self-fulfilling prophecy. 40 years (or so) ago, the 4 minute mile was thought impossible. Then someone actually ran it. Suddenly, in the years following, several more people began to get times under 4 minutes (it's a shame that Doyle Brunson couldn't continue his running career. I am sure he would've achieved the 4 minute mile first). It's well documented that people that believe they are more likely to succeed do, and those with an expectation of failure fail. So an athlete goes to an astrologer. The astrologer tells him that he was born during a time that is beneficial to athletic career and that he will find much success. Another athlete goes to the same astrologer. That astrologer tells him that he was born during a time that is very detrimental to athletes, and it may be best to seek out another career. The result? The first athlete is more likely to succeed, while the second is more likely to fail. This also works with parents raising their children based on astrological predictions. The parents treat the child as if they will become a prominent scientist, and so the child becomes more likely to become a prominent scientist. The same works for personality traits. The parents treat the child as if they should be an extrovert, and the child becomes an extrovert.

Both of these allow for a correlation to exist, but also for astrology to not be significant (in the first case, you're better off studying the personality traits of the parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents, and in the second, the correlation only exists as a result of the existence of astrology in the first place). If we assume that the Mars Effect does exist, then I think a combination of these is more likely than either one individually.

As I said, these explanations took me roughly 10 minutes to come up with after hearing about the Mars Effect. These are not difficult explanations to come up with (though they require accepting that something could be true even if there is no proof, such as the body being in tune to the phases of Mars).

Rasta
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 May 2011, 10:13 am

I'm new to astrology so I'm not going to waste my time debating with people who think it's crap. I felt the same way, but I never actually took the opportunity to thoroughly research it. If you want an accurate reading you should also use your time of birth, and check a birth chart.

[White Magnetic World-Bridger]

In my case of aspergers, the diagnoses stems from the fact my body holds onto mercury and other metals. This is why I don't excrete the mercury out of my hair like most people do, it comes outta my piss instead. As a child I had metal teeth caps, which contained mercury and other metals. I also had vaccines which had mercury as a preservative. Mercury is also found in products that contain high-fructose corn syrup, such as coca cola. I'm now on a diet and I avoid mercury at all costs.

So I'm not saying that every case is the same, there could be other reasons people have the symptoms leading to the diagnoses... but I believe in most cases it's probably do to mercury.

I highly suggest anyone google their zodiac along with "mercury". You might find some very useful information like I did.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:11 am

MrLoony wrote:
Fern wrote:
I think it's fascinating that 37% of the people who answered were born in the statiscically least common months of the year in which to be born: from late January to early March.

In the other poll, Pisces has the lowest response. Unscientific polls aren't a very good source of data.

If by "unscientific" you mean "small sample size" I would have to agree with you. For the record though, I don't actually believe in astrology. I do, however, believe that people who are told their whole life that they posses certain features (be it based on their respective signs or otherwise) may consciously or unconsciously begin to behave in such a manner.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:36 pm

Even if 10,000 people responded, this poll would still be unscientific. It is not a random sampling of a population.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

09 May 2011, 10:48 pm

MrLoony wrote:
When there is no good research being done, a skeptic says that neither way is certain. That's not what you said. A true skeptic is a person who questions BOTH sides.

My point with tea is that people do the same with with astrology as they used to do with tea: Dismiss the idea as absurd without actually examining it. It took a long time for doctors to start studying it, and they're only really beginning to look at these health benefits.

If I said that I'm a doctor, and you should drink mercury, would that disprove medicine? No. It only proves that I'm not qualified to speak as a doctor. Similarly, studying whether predictions made are accurate calls the astrologer into question, not astrology.

For the record, I am taking my having to explain this as proof of your bias:

Before I begin, I would like to point out that I am not a master of astrological terminology, so forgive me if a different word would be better suited to these explanations. (Edit: Also, please forgive me if the explanation is vague or incomplete. It's 2:45 AM here and I am quite tired)

First of all, in addition to a correlation found between championship-level athletes and Mars, there was a correlation found between prominent scientists and Saturn, as well as actors and Jupiter. There was one more correlation found, however, and that was between parent and child. Children that were born naturally (not induced) were found to be born around the same time as their parents, on average. This actually makes sense from a biological point of view. Our bodies are in tune with things we can't consciously process. Since the parent was born during a particular phase of Mars and survived to breed, the body knows that that is more likely to be a "safe" time to give birth. It's fairly well known that children are more likely to be like their parents than others (for example, bullies often come from the households of aggressive and intolerant parents) and that we tend to attract people much like ourselves (though if we can't find one, often we settle for someone else). From this, we can see that a statistical insignificant difference in personality can lead to a statistically significant difference (using this, I would say that if people born under a particular phase of Mars where it's slightly more common to find athletes would be more likely to have athletic children than those born under a phase where it's slightly less common, simply because of the fact that, in the first case, the parent is more likely to find an athletic person born in the same phase [Remember: Potentially biologically significant] than in the second, where the parent would have to find an unathletic mate and thus the child might develop to be like their unathletic parent). Remember that this would have a very small effect for each generation, but would add up over time. This can also explain how astrology came about without taking the assumption that it was just people making stuff up. It could very well be that they studied what people born during certain phase were like and came up with the beginnings of astrology.

Now, there's more to it than just that. (Before you read this explanation, know that I don't know how astrology worked for people born in a particular sign of Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. This explanation only works if the Mars Effect confirmed that people born under a particular part of Mars were more likely to be better athletes, etc) There's also the issue of self-fulfilling prophecy. 40 years (or so) ago, the 4 minute mile was thought impossible. Then someone actually ran it. Suddenly, in the years following, several more people began to get times under 4 minutes (it's a shame that Doyle Brunson couldn't continue his running career. I am sure he would've achieved the 4 minute mile first). It's well documented that people that believe they are more likely to succeed do, and those with an expectation of failure fail. So an athlete goes to an astrologer. The astrologer tells him that he was born during a time that is beneficial to athletic career and that he will find much success. Another athlete goes to the same astrologer. That astrologer tells him that he was born during a time that is very detrimental to athletes, and it may be best to seek out another career. The result? The first athlete is more likely to succeed, while the second is more likely to fail. This also works with parents raising their children based on astrological predictions. The parents treat the child as if they will become a prominent scientist, and so the child becomes more likely to become a prominent scientist. The same works for personality traits. The parents treat the child as if they should be an extrovert, and the child becomes an extrovert.

Both of these allow for a correlation to exist, but also for astrology to not be significant (in the first case, you're better off studying the personality traits of the parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents, and in the second, the correlation only exists as a result of the existence of astrology in the first place). If we assume that the Mars Effect does exist, then I think a combination of these is more likely than either one individually.

As I said, these explanations took me roughly 10 minutes to come up with after hearing about the Mars Effect. These are not difficult explanations to come up with (though they require accepting that something could be true even if there is no proof, such as the body being in tune to the phases of Mars).

That appears to be a loose assocation between planets and people's personality...but psychological bioligists (sp) have found that genes play a very strong role in personality much more so then previously thought. However, I do agree there are some things not yet understood by science, but I honestly dont have any evidence on either side to be certain of where the astroloical bias lay.

Rasta

14 May 2011, 10:06 am

bump.

Scorpion_Heart
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 May 2011, 12:04 pm

Rasta wrote:
I recently am getting into astrology, I used to think it was a mythical thing but now it's part of my core beliefs.

I want to see if there's any pattern correlation between people with Autism, and their zodiac.

So I'll start off with mine, which is March 20, (Pisces).

EDIT: Thanks for all the data you've contributed!! :) I highly suggest you google both your astrological symbol along with "mercury"... you might find some useful information. ^_^

Mercury in Piesces = http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/thelema/ot ... isces.html

I would not look at only sun signs for a correlation with Autism but the chart as a whole since sun signs alone do not help much.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 3:20 am

Not many Scorpios out there I guess.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 3:50 am

Actually they changed the dates of birth corresponding with the different astrological signs. I am not sagitarius anymore.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 8:00 am

billybud21 wrote:
Not many Scorpios out there I guess.

Australian Scorpio here!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 8:01 am

thewrll wrote:
Actually they changed the dates of birth corresponding with the different astrological signs. I am not sagitarius anymore.

Please don't spoil the fun with astrology by introducing astronomy

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 7:19 pm

I am talking about the zodiac sign and they have changed the birth date so your corresponding sign may be different.