Page 2412 of 2549 [ 40782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2409, 2410, 2411, 2412, 2413, 2414, 2415 ... 2549  Next

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

Andras wrote:
TenPencePiece wrote:
Hi there!
Andras wrote:
TenPencePiece wrote:
Hff poor Andras! Even we had snow! Well, for an hour. It did stick though until the rain came an hour later :P
WHAT!! I'm stuck here today with a temperature of 14c. GO AWAY SPRING I WANT WINTER. And of course the following days they forecast rain and wind.

Well it wasn't recently, it was nearly two weeks ago. I've had enough of winter! :P
*sighs*. Well, the winter here will end as the second/third hottest winter ever and it's the very first winter with no days of an average temperature of below 0C.

kevinjh wrote:
Greetings, Clean Chatroom!

Behold the obligatory once-in-a-while Clean Chatroom stats!
That's cool! How did you make that? I love statistics. :D

First, this (silly, poorly written) script to collect the date of every 75th post:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#Here's a LLAMA, there's a LLAMA...
#...and another little LLAMA..."
LLAMA=$(( 15 * 0))
FUZZY="75"
DUCK=$(( 15 * 2605 ))
TREE_="http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf161265-0-"
_HOUSE=".html"

while  (( "$LLAMA" < "$DUCK" ))
do
        wget $TREE_$LLAMA$_HOUSE -O rake.html
        grep -o '[A-Z][a-z][a-z] [A-Z][a-z][a-z] [0-9]*, [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]' rake.html|head -n 1 >> orange
        sleep 4
        LLAMA=`expr $LLAMA + $FUZZY`
done
echo "...Fuzzy LLAMA, funny LLAMA..."

I try to keep the sleep length such that the server does not get bombarded by inefficient download requests and such that the wireless connection probably will not end up failing in the middle of processing. Next, I run the following substitutions on the data file orange:
Code:
sed 's/[A-Z][a-z][a-z] \([A-Z][a-z][a-z]\)/\1/g; s:Jan :01/:g; s:Feb :02/:g; s:Mar :03/:g; s:Apr :04/:g; s:May :05/:g; s:Jun :06/:g; s:Jul :07/:g; s:Aug :08/:g; s:Sep :09/:g; s:Oct :10/:g; s:Nov :11/:g; s:Dec :12/:g; s/\w* \([0-9]\)/\1/g; s.,./.g' < orange > orange.csv

Then, I (again, inefficiently) use a spreadsheet program to calculate the posts per day and total posts and graph all of that. I could probably use GnuPlot to plot the data, but right now, I am too lazy to learn it when a lab report for which it would be useful is still a few weeks away from due.

ADDITION:

Keep in mind that 600 posts/day is only approximate and a lower bound. The script only accounts for every 75th post, so there may be up to 74 invisible posts.

Last edited by kevinjh on 24 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

24 Feb 2014, 5:02 pm

I want spring to come.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 5:07 pm

Stats addendum:

I think I miscalculated something severely! 8O

EDIT:
Error found: Some 7000 or so posts were missing in the data (! !). It was probably a combination of the wireless stopping or something like that and not actually labeling the dates with their post totals for identifiability..

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 8:20 pm

Oh my 8O

Quote:
Keep in mind that 600 posts/day is only approximate and a lower bound. The script only accounts for every 75th post, so there may be up to 74 invisible posts.

I'm not sure I understand, but are you saying that there might be more than 600 posts/day?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm

I made so many posts since I joined in mid-August 2012.

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 1:17 am

Okay. So Robotics build season is over. I still don't feel like I have free time. Darnit. :lol:

kevinjh wrote:
Greetings, Clean Chatroom!

Behold the obligatory once-in-a-while Clean Chatroom stats!

It seems to have been a bit slow the last few months, but not unusually so. Maybe it will start picking up again as it seems to do in the springtime and beat the ~600posts/day records? :wink:

On the topic of recent weather, the winter down here in Southern California has been so mild, we even ended up with about a week of 30°-33°C (or around 85°F-90°F) weather.

Ooh, yes! I always find these interesting. :lol:

And that is quite mild. It hasn't been as warm up here, but it's been in the 70's quite a bit.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 1:20 am

We had some snow here in Western Washington. It will go away soon, however........ I WANT SPRING TO BE HERE, DAMMIT!

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 2:02 am

Greetings once again (likely an hour before bed)!

I retract all of the previously posted data (including previous years' data except maybe the /1000 one), as nice as it would be if it were true. Thanks to my colleagues Ten and Andras for pointing out how unlikely >600 posts/day is. :wink:

600 posts/day appears to be a very approximate instantaneous posting rate (i.e. if the posting rate within the period were to continue all day, it would end up as 600 posts total). After manually checking the data and correcting it (my poor, suffering elbows!), I found that the following dates have the highest post counts:

Code:
Rank    Date    Post count
#1  2013.0212   502
#2  2012.0908   483
#3  2012.0512   321
#4  2011.0829   302
#5  2012.0808   280
#6  2013.0514   260
#7  2013.0519   258
#8  2012.0817   256
#9  2012.0831   244
I think I am too lazy to do the graphics right now, so for anyone interested in playing with the data, I dumped the raw data to Pastebin at http://pastebin.com/YWQW7GNi . Including the time of day is critical if you want the instantaneous posting rates and not 2000posts/day, #DIV/0!s, NaNs, or other nastiness, but after spending too long filling in the gaps the script allowed (Did you know that ~1/4 of all hits will get you some weird error like the missing emoticons one?), found that they were not too important except for calculating the longest Clean Chatroom silence.

Note: The reason for why there are 9 and not, say, 10 or 25 entries is because of my laziness not quite reaching the automation threshold.

Note: In case any of you are wondering, I do not actually read any of the old posts to avoid embarrassing myself just as much as to avoid embarrassing you. The scripts may be crude, but they are quite effective and millions of times more patient than me.

*bows, allowing cardboard top hat to fall on floor*

Any questions? :lol:

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 3:31 am

500 posts! Wonder what was happening that one day here!

*picks up top hat and puts it back on Kevinjh's head*

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 3:45 am

That day spanned from post ID 33579 to 34081, if you are brave enough to look.

Myself, I think I will wait here. :lol:

I wonder what happened to Albirea. I hope she is thriving at MIT.

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 4:11 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Maybe when I have more time. :lol:

I wonder too. I heard she deactivated her account here (along with other websites, as I can't find her deviantART and I believe Coke couldn't find her Steam) in order to focus on her studies.

Oh! It's been past an hour! Didn't you say you were going to bed? :lol:

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 4:17 am

I guess I should...

...but the earliest I need to wake up for class is around 10:30. I can get a good night's sleep even after 03:00, and if necessary, I can skip lecture and wake up at 13:20, so I guess I can stay until an hour before sunrise. :lol:

Regarding Albirea: Aww. :( It was fun talking about Portal and bizarre plots and biochemistry-related matters. I really hope those deactivations were not done under duress or anything like that.

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 4:20 am

Oh.

I can't get a good night's sleep at this point as I must be up at 6 AM. :lol:

Lucky yooou. I wish I could get that much sleep every night. :P

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 4:24 am

It does come with the disadvantage of not being able to sleep from time to time. I think all of my all-nighters so far have had nothing to do with class material (and I end up with a few every quarter!). I think my sleep-deprivation record so far is somewhere around 38 hours. :lol:

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 4:36 am

Regarding Albirea again: I would sure hope not either!

My all-nighters have everything to do with classwork! Though frankly they're typically the ones I've procrastinated on.

How well can you survive the day with that little sleep? :lol:

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 4:47 am

Not very well, and not even well enough to be allowed for playing with the alternate conditions for Drunk Fortress (48 hours without sleep). Of course, it might be nice for getting some random inspirational ideas. Have you ever heard strange, loud, and clear music while falling asleep (especially when tired) and forgot it like any regular dream soon after waking up?

Naturally, I make sure I never end up with a sleepless night right before lab day. It could end up being too ‼fun‼ for everyone involved! :lol: