Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 7:30 am

ever watch a realistically visceral scene in a movie or on TV and it makes you feel faint?

Happened to me last night while watching House. Had to lie down during the bathtub scene.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 7:31 am

Euuuch me too. 8O

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:59 am

Yes it does happen to me and my arms get real weak too.

Dessie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 May 2011, 1:01 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
ever watch a realistically visceral scene in a movie or on TV and it makes you feel faint?

Happened to me last night while watching House. Had to lie down during the bathtub scene.

Yep...that happpens to me too. I've never had to go lay down before though, maybe just turn the channel for a minute.

Wait a minute.....AWWWWWWNOOOOO.....I missed the new episode of House!! !! ! I totally forgot!! !! !! :wall:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 2:02 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

Interesting one out of ten people faint at the sight of their own blood. Said to be a built in mechanism from evolution to "play dead" when attacked.

Also, while we consciously understand that what we see on TV isn't real, our nervous system, related stress chemicals, and brain often reacts in close to the same way it would if we were in the actual situation.

It's why some people postulate that we can experience as much stress in a week from watching TV as someone that doesn't have TV experiences in a much longer period of time.

And, on the other hand watching funny stuff on TV, can have the opposite impact and improve a sense of well being if one responds by laughing and releasing chemicals that enhance our health, rather than the chemicals we get from watching stuff that excites our central nervous system continuously; making it hard for us to ever reach homeostatsis.