Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

metalmaiden
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2011, 10:54 pm

Do you ever find the more common misspellings of some words to look nicer visually, make more sense, or just seem more preferable, than the correct spellings?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 11:15 pm

No.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 11:32 pm

Yes, I am really bad speller.

Last edited by ocdgirl123 on 31 May 2011, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 11:44 pm

I'll spell Welcome as Welkome with a K in my introductions, for a very obvious reason. Other than that, I like to keep a very close watch on my spelling and grammar.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 1:56 am

Order is nice.

Although "a lot" could be better off as one word. Like alot. And they could open up the interpretation of "a couple" to literally mean more than one, more than precisely 2. Such as "give me a couple of them"... so perhaps 2-5. I'd also like the word mountain to be shrunk to "mow-din". That way I don't get looked at funny all the time.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 4:32 am

Interesting, but I do not. I spell words correctly unless it's a genuin mistake. ;)

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 5:45 am

Nim wrote:
Although "a lot" could be better off as one word. Like alot.

Alots are so cute...

The year is still young.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 12:13 pm

As long as you are able to use standard spelling in formal documents, I see no reason to avoid using personalized spelling in informal ones. It's just another tool you can use to get your point across.

Personally, I am fascinated by spelling variations found in old documents, sometimes by the same person on the same page. The spelling is often a key to the way the word was actually pronounced, the language or dialect from which it derived, and whether it was used in everyday speech or learned from books. I find the variant spellings give the text a rich period flavor that would be lost with standardization.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 12:25 pm

Nim wrote:
Order is nice.

Although "a lot" could be better off as one word. Like alot. And they could open up the interpretation of "a couple" to literally mean more than one, more than precisely 2. Such as "give me a couple of them"... so perhaps 2-5. I'd also like the word mountain to be shrunk to "mow-din". That way I don't get looked at funny all the time.

i use alot alot. and it took me ages to realise that 'a couple' meant two rather than just an alternate way of saying 'a few'

When I first learnt to write I spelt something and everything as 'somethink' and 'everythink' because that's how I said them and that's what I thought other people were saying. I remember my teacher laughing because I tip-exed the end of 'everything' out in her christmas card after spelling it wrong.

Phonics is probably not a good idea with my accent...

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 1:11 pm

Misspellings tend to make my eyes burn. Sure, the English ways of spelling can seem illogical to us every now and then, but the rules still exist--no matter how peculiar they seem--and the writers of English should follow them accordingly.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 1:14 pm

I do not.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 4:50 pm

Nor I.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 May 2011, 9:49 pm

metalmaiden wrote:
Do you ever find the more common misspellings of some words to look nicer visually, make more sense, or just seem more preferable, than the correct spellings?

Yes but that's mostly because I don't know the correct spelling or have a hard time remembering it due to sever dyslexia & spelling em wrong way has become a habit for me

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 11:03 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'll spell Welcome as Welkome with a K in my introductions, for a very obvious reason. Other than that, I like to keep a very close watch on my spelling and grammar.

I can't tell the reason.;;; (Oh wait, is it because Kinks starts with K?)
But I really like it with a k even without a reason! It sounds better in my head when I read it.

I agree with the_curmudge, too.
I am reading Moby Dick right now and some of the spellings get very interesting. It kind of makes me wish we never standardized spellings, because it seems like spelling used to be another means of expressive communication by the author, same as word-choice, etc. (Actually, a lot of the "factual" information in Moby Dick gets pretty creative too. It is all very funny to read. And for certain, standardization and modern editing and fact-checking would have destroyed that book and made it as dull as a lot of people with no sense of humor think it is. Not that that's all it has going for it. But it needs its wildness.)

Also, I don't know if it counts as a misspelling, but this thread makes me think of that "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" riddle.
The answer being: “Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front!”

TheInfamousArgyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2011, 11:16 pm

I used to spell Forty as Fourty and other weird things. English is such an unusual language. But the same can be said for the more phonetic languages...

Ysone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

judgment as judgement. I do that all the time and i can't help it. And even auto check from microsoft word would not correct it. RAH