Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 4:55 pm

Not sure if I am, but I do like fixing things. Most of the time I don't know what the heck I am doing when I first start, so it becomes a learning experience. I think it is one of my favorite ways of learning something. Unfortunately, you are limited to what you can learn by using this method. Learning open heart surgery by trial and error doesn't seem like a good move, unless you want to be the subject of some future horror movie. :)

So what can you fix for yourself?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

well i can't fix hearts:/

i can do flatpack furniture?
no idea when it comes to electrical stuff. i have to call in the cavalry.
I'd probably say no to your Q as I'm struggling to think of things I've fixed

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

I've learned to fix things around my house & places I've worked. I've had to do a bit of plumbing, wall repair, etc. I also used to love taking things apart just to see what makes them work. I think I might have made a decent mechanic, but my dad wouldn't allow me to take classes cos I was a girl. :roll: Too old to get into repairing cars now. Plus, I've passed the days when getting dirt under my fingernails or my hands grubby didn't bother me.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 5:10 pm

I can fix almost anything.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 5:31 pm

I could fix a lot of things.
But I'd rather not get into that.

The year is still young.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 6:55 pm

I have a habit of taking stuff apart to see how they work, but I tend to get sidetracked and never put things back together. As soon as something breaks, it usually goes under the screwdriver and may or may not live again.

Aside from the essential duct tape and WD-40, I have a ton of wrenches and screwdrivers, as well as a soldering icon to handle most projects. I'm fairly handy around the house, having done a little bit of plumbing (repairing a broken shower, unclogging the garbage disposal) and wiring (running CAT5 under the carpet, replacing the A/C themostat)

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

WillMcC wrote:
I have a habit of taking stuff apart to see how they work, but I tend to get sidetracked and never put things back together. As soon as something breaks, it usually goes under the screwdriver and may or may not live again.

That's how I learned to fix so much stuff. of course, I tended to "fix" things that still worked. emphasis on "worked".

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 7:50 pm

No, but i'm really good at breaking things.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jun 2011, 9:03 pm

I have very low vision & a tremor disorder that causes me to shake when doing things with fine motor-skills so I'm horrible with fixing things. I tend to screw my computer up a lot to by trying to improve things

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

I tend to have a decent ability at being a general "Troubleshooter". Or in some cases I think I'm decent at being a kind of problem solving detective.

Sometimes I have a good intuition response on how to fix something, or I'm good at planning an effective Process of Elimination if I need more knowledge.

I've done this so many times for my parents that sometimes my mom says "Have Dan fix it".

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2011, 11:22 pm

I do all right with fixing household things, and I can do minor repairs on older cars (any car made in the 21st century is hopeless for me). I'm also quite good at "Some Assembly Required." Yesterday I put together an electronic baby swing for my sister after she and her husband both gave up trying. When I worked at a Target store I was always chosen to assemble the display products, like vacuum cleaners, book shelves, tables, etc. I look at the pieces, look at the picture on the box, and it's usually obvious to me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm

Yes. I'll start fixing my body very soon. :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jun 2011, 11:30 pm

Is anyone worse than this guy :?:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsFYAVtUawM[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
I tend to have a decent ability at being a general "Troubleshooter". Or in some cases I think I'm decent at being a kind of problem solving detective.

Sometimes I have a good intuition response on how to fix something, or I'm good at planning an effective Process of Elimination if I need more knowledge.

I've done this so many times for my parents that sometimes my mom says "Have Dan fix it".

I usually get this too, even though I don't really have great knowledge or skill at it. I can't tell if most people are simply that clueless about everything, simply lazy, or if I am being used to do something that they could do for themselves.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 12:10 am

I can usually fix computer problems. Otherwise, I have very little experience fixing things; it just hasn't come up much.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

14 Jun 2011, 12:13 am

nick007 wrote:
Is anyone worse than this guy :?:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsFYAVtUawM[/youtube]

ya probaly me on a bad day. I break stuff all the time without even trying. I am pretty clumbsy and I also have this hand thing where I am holding something breakable (or anything for that matter) and my hand just opens up automaticly without my telling it to. Some kinda nerve problem which I have a quite a few of them. I have broken multiple sets of dishes and glasses over time doing this. I just need stainless steel dishware and drinking containers
I remember the time I fell back in my chair, which landed my on the floor into the sliding wooden doors in the kichen, which then fell off the rack and fell into the coat rack full of pots and pans which it fell into wall and knocked the picture off the wall and broke the glass. My dad just ever so cool walks into the room and says "welcome home J." and walks through without breaking stride while my family just stand looking at this domino effect with utter amazement. I have been known to say Did IIIII do that??

As far as fixing stuff...I can fix a few things, but not near as much as what I can break...I need to come with a disclamer.