Did you have a lot of imagination as a child?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 1:23 pm

My imagination was big. I used to turn my garden into a big house, using my mind, and I lived in this ''house'' for hours. Think about it - pretending a garden is a house. Must be a pretty hard thing to ''turn into'', but I did it. I pretended some humps and bumps in the ground were walls, and bushes and shrubs was furniture.

Also I remember playing imaginary games in the bath, and turning the whole bath into something completely different, using my mind. I even used to play in bed, like pretending the bed covers was water, and diving in and out was so fun.

Sadly my imagination shrunk when I got to about 12/13. Now I don't have much imagination at all. When I write stories or draw pictures, I have to use people who already exist, because it's difficult to make up people and events what can happen. I have to use issues what are happening in my life to write about, using different characters reacting to them in different ways.

Anyone else have a big imagination when you was small?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 1:25 pm

i still do

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

When I was 5 and 6 I would line up chairs in our dining room and spend up to an hour acting as a conductor with imaginary passengers on a train. I'm not sure how creative I am anymore though...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

I don't think I ever had a lot of imagination but I always fantasied a lot. I read on a few sites that Aspie kids lack imagination

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

Yep I used to look at pictures in a picture book and tell the stories to my brother. Also I used to set up chairs with my stuffed animals and we used to watched fake movies on the wallpaper.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 2:07 pm

Yes.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

I didn't have many friends, but I would play with Star Wars figures and animal pushes when I was younger. Stopped playing with animal plushes a 7. Stopped playing with Star Wars figures at about 14. At that age, I was setting up elaborate stories culling my knowledge from the books and media. I know just collect Star Wars. And I play D&D and the Star Wars RPG if that's of any worth. My imagination has actually grown since I was younger. It's more organized.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 3:21 pm

nick007 wrote:
I don't think I ever had a lot of imagination but I always fantasied a lot. I read on a few sites that Aspie kids lack imagination

I read something like that too, but I obviously didn't lack imagination.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 5:17 pm

I had a wild imagination as a child. I used to write detailed stories about the kids that I went to school with and myself for hours.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 5:38 pm

I read a lot as a child, so while I had many wild ideas, I suspect most were second hand.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 6:04 pm

Joe90 wrote:
My imagination was big. I used to turn my garden into a big house, using my mind, and I lived in this ''house'' for hours. Think about it - pretending a garden is a house. Must be a pretty hard thing to ''turn into'', but I did it. I pretended some humps and bumps in the ground were walls, and bushes and shrubs was furniture.

Also I remember playing imaginary games in the bath, and turning the whole bath into something completely different, using my mind. I even used to play in bed, like pretending the bed covers was water, and diving in and out was so fun.

I used to do things like this all the time. That's why I always enjoyed playing alone more than with other kids. I wouldn't say that my imagination shrunk though. The games just got replaced by daydreaming.
Btw, I had an imaginary friend and an imaginary bunny. I don't remember that but my parents told me. They have no idea where the imaginary friend came from but apparently the bunny came into my life when I ran down the road and fell. Over here when a child stumbles and falls people say "You caught a bunny!". I took it too literally: I picked up an imaginary bunny, took it home and took care of it, played with it, even went to sleep with it for 2-3 weeks. At the end of this story my dad added: "Yeah... You were a weird child...". :lol:
I like my imagination. It makes my life a better place :)

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 4:53 am

My Aspie daughter has a vivid imagination. I also read about Aspie kids not having imagination, but I also read about Aspies not having feelings, and that is also wrong.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jun 2011, 5:54 am

Ilka wrote:
My Aspie daughter has a vivid imagination. I also read about Aspie kids not having imagination, but I also read about Aspies not having feelings, and that is also wrong.

Maybe it's how Aspies tend to express their imaginations. Stuff I've read about Aspie symptoms says kids lack imagination; they have problems with pretend play like house. I NEVER did or understood point in that kind of stuff. I also heard Aspies have problems with abstract thinking so maybe we seem to lack imagination because we are more concrete thinkers; like we have problems imagining possible scenarios in theories that aren't practical. Not sure if that makes any sense :?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 5:57 am

Yeah, I still do sometimes

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 1:24 pm

nick007 wrote:
Maybe it's how Aspies tend to express their imaginations. Stuff I've read about Aspie symptoms says kids lack imagination; they have problems with pretend play like house. I NEVER did or understood point in that kind of stuff. I also heard Aspies have problems with abstract thinking so maybe we seem to lack imagination because we are more concrete thinkers; like we have problems imagining possible scenarios in theories that aren't practical. Not sure if that makes any sense :?

It might be that. It might be the way Aspies express their imagination. Because they do not really express much. My daughter played by herself all the time. She started playing with someone else, but in about 5 minutes she forgot about the other person and remained playing by herself. But my daughter never had problems with pretend play. She loved to play house, to play dress-up, recreate movies, and stuff like that.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

I've always had a lot of imagination. It's never lessened even though I've gotten older.