Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 1:59 pm

i read something some time ago about a gadget that allows people with physcial disabilities (such that they are paralysed and cannot speak) to type via an elctrode(s) implanted in their head... it can interpret their thoughts into actual words on a pc. isn't that neat?

as it stands, i dont think this technology is very practical (or portable for that matter) for most poeple... and it does sound kinda permanent.

but........ should this technology improve, i for one, would love to have a gadget that just types out my thoughts for me :D

would make some things so much easier.

maybe they could call it the "thinking cap" O.o?

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 2:06 pm

Steven Hawkings uses that technology brah 8)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Aug 2006, 11:35 am

I would be so spooked! I already have enough trouble with my thoughts appearing in public "as is" - can you imagine if the The Thinking Cap had a virus?

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 11:42 am

Might make it easier...or for some more dangerous. As long as it would include an option to censor out stuff before it ends up in writing.... :lol:

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 12:01 pm

Stuff like this is in it's very early infancy. 100 years from now and we'll all have onboard computers. It'll happen.

bit about a sci fi book done Peter f. Hamilton

---------Neural nanonics

A set of Neural Nanonics is a computer network which is implanted within the Human brain. The user controls his or her nanonics directly by just thinking about it. Nanonics can be used for a very wide variety of applications. New skills and knowledge can simply be downloaded into the nanonics, becoming instantly available to the user though generally without the finesse or experties to somone who comes by the skill or knowledge naturally. Messages can be sent to other users in a process analogous to using present day email or instant messenger programs (datavising), giving a form of technological telepathy. They can allow the user to control pain and regulate bodily functions. Unarmed combat programs can take control of the user's body, calculating and even implementing the optimum attacking and defensive moves. Other programs allow direct interface with external hardware from personal weapons through to spacecraft.-----------------

I wouldn't even say that it's far fetched. Computers are getting more and more powerful, and smaller and smaller. Anyone doubt that in a hundred years time we'll be able to contain my entire computers processing power to the size of a pinhead? We've only been dabbling with computers for a generation or two, imagine what a hundred years will do.