Fashion: You don't have to pay a lot to dress well.

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 5:44 am

This could very well belong in the Love and Dating forum since it's a topic that comes up on their often, but I was told to stay away from that section of the site and I have and will continue to do so.

I hear guys complaining about the fact that fashion matters so much to potential suitors. The thing is, you don't have to spend a lot to look good. It's very likely that you're already spend that much money anyway on crappy clothing.

I'm currently wearing a pair of levis jeans that I bought a year ago for about 25 or 30 bucks...a kirkland brand (generic costco brand) teal dress t shirt that I paid 10 bucks for, and a joker purple long sleeved collared shirt from express that was on sale for 15 bucks, and the outfit looks like something out of an advertisement. The jeans, since I've worn them so many times, are dark and have that faded look that's in style...and the shirts fit me perfectly.

Now don't mistake this as saying to wear this kind of clothing...find your own style. But when I see some of the guy's styles on here (who've posted pics) and then hear about the standards they have in the opposite sex...it doesn't add up. The thing about clothing is, it represents how you want to come off to the world...and by wearing shirts/pants that don't fit or look ordinary or sloppy, you're basically saying "i don't care about my appearance."

Women, and the general public too, don't care WHAT you wear as long as you look neat and presentable. Wearing "I'm with stupid" t shirts and jogging pants just says "I really don't care about myself or life."

The thing is too...you can find good looking clothing, even if cheaper in quality, at a KMart or Walmart or Target.

I personally shop at Macys, Kohls, Marshalls, Tj Maxx and never spend more than 40 dollars on a pair of pants (and that's only if it's dress pants)...usually 20-25-30 for jeans/khakis...and never more than 30 for any kind of shirt 9 times out of 10.

So I guess the point I'm making is, there really is no excuse. And this isn't just about getting a date either...it's about self-presentation around extended family, friends, co-workers and the general public. It's just as important as showering and brushing your teeth.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 7:05 am

I get nearly all of my clothes from gifts, hand-me-downs, flea markets, or else buying them in a second-hand thrift store called Value Village.

I won't buy anything that costs more than $7 - $12, so even WalMart is considered out of my range. But due to the items I choose carefully, nobody is aware of this and I look as good as or better than most other women.

I'm saying I agree with you, but adding that it isn't only the male gender that has to look decent for women, but also the other way around, and it's still true even for homosexuals or anyone at all. You wouldn't want to pet an obviously mangy dog with mats and burrs in its fur, would you, well it's the same for people who are looking at you if you go out looking scruffy and unkempt.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 7:34 am

I don't really care how i dress. Most of the time it has some food stain ect on it or something. MEH.

Life is too short for me to care much.

So I'm never in a rush

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 9:11 am

So long as you're willing to accept the consequences, you can even tape newspapers to your body and walk around that way, too.

It's all about understanding the consequences of your choices, and knowing you have choices in the first place, which admittedly some Aspies do not realize. I think this thread is specifically for people who don't want the consequences of looking scruffy and unkempt but are unsure how to go about fixing it.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
So long as you're willing to accept the consequences, you can even tape newspapers to your body and walk around that way, too.

It's all about understanding the consequences of your choices, and knowing you have choices in the first place, which admittedly some Aspies do not realize. I think this thread is specifically for people who don't want the consequences of looking scruffy and unkempt but are unsure how to go about fixing it.

what are the consequences of looking scruffy and unkempt?

is it that people, who i don't care about, judge me? what does that matter?

So I'm never in a rush

MissyA123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2011, 10:56 am

£1,805.00
on a hand bag :lol:

Accept people for who they are not what they are

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:09 am

Solvejg wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:

what are the consequences of looking scruffy and unkempt?

is it that people, who i don't care about, judge me? what does that matter?

well said :lol: :)
if anyone cares that much about me looking scruffy, they're really not worth the hassle.

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

Well this is mainly directed at the men who hold women to high standards that they themselves don't practice. There's a difference between being a scrub and wearing the latest fashions. Like I said, you can buy very cheap clothing (at any budget) at walmart, kmart and the like and look clean and presentable.

This doesn't apply to the men who don't whine about not having a hot or very specific girlfriend.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:34 am

well, fair enough i suppose.. i wouldn't ask a lady to dress to impress. wouldn't really mind what she wore at all.. as long as it's not too tricky to remove ;)

MissyA123

28 Jun 2011, 11:37 am

to remove
being a lady myself i find that quite offence

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

being a pedant, i find that sentence quite offensive ;)

MissyA123

28 Jun 2011, 11:43 am

yes ha ha i find your humor amazing :twisted:

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:44 am

I agreed when I said that if you were willing to accept the consequences -- for example, the disdain of people whose opinions you don't happen to care about -- then you are perfectly comfortable wearing anything whatsoever. I'm neither arguing that you ought to care or that you ought to not care. You may have read more "moral tone" into my statement than I ever intended, and I was never criticizing your choice to wear food-stained clothing or anything else you wanted.

I was making a completely neutral statement that did not imply I was judging either people who cared, or those who did not, nor recommending that anyone else should or should not care. To each their own, so long as the outcome pleases them. Dress in any way you like, or go stark naked, if that's your thing and it makes you happy.

What I was trying to say is this topic is an attempt to assist people who want to dress in a more mainstream manner, but aren't sure how to go about it on a very tight budget. I could have written a post giving instructions on how to tile your bathroom walls, but that doesn't mean I was scolding you for having no tiles, no walls, or even no bathroom. The instructions just apply to those who want to take them and not to anyone else.... it's strictly voluntary! I thought that was plainly clear.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

I look for sales to buy my jeans cheap... I luckily know a place that sells designer jeans cheap
Also I do all my shopping from target when theres a sale and that's it for my clothes shopping.
I mostly buy tanks which I dress up... I get my shoes from payless and I use ballet flats most of the time which I am most comfortable in..

Luckily in my city its hot most of the year and I don't need to spend a lot of money on summer clothes..

If I spent a lot money it has mostly been on books to read for pleasure and academic and self help etc etc..

Last edited by pree10shun on 28 Jun 2011, 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
I agreed when I said that if you were willing to accept the consequences -- for example, the disdain of people whose opinions you don't happen to care about -- then you are perfectly comfortable wearing anything whatsoever. I'm neither arguing that you ought to care or that you ought to not care. You may have read more "moral tone" into my statement than I ever intended, and I was never criticizing your choice to wear food-stained clothing or anything else you wanted.

I was making a completely neutral statement that did not imply I was judging either people who cared, or those who did not, nor recommending that anyone else should or should not care. To each their own, so long as the outcome pleases them. Dress in any way you like, or go stark naked, if that's your thing and it makes you happy.

What I was trying to say is this topic is an attempt to assist people who want to dress in a more mainstream manner, but aren't sure how to go about it on a very tight budget. I could have written a post giving instructions on how to tile your bathroom walls, but that doesn't mean I was scolding you for having no tiles, no walls, or even no bathroom. The instructions just apply to those who want to take them and not to anyone else.... it's strictly voluntary! I thought that was plainly clear.

umm :?

Quote:
You wouldn't want to pet an obviously mangy dog with mats and burrs in its fur, would you, well it's the same for people who are looking at you if you go out looking scruffy and unkempt.

So I'm never in a rush

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:59 am

:lol: