Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 12:40 am

It's 8:40 AM, I haven't slept. Why?! During summer I keep getting more and more nocturnal. It's awful. And during the school year I struggle with getting enough sleep constantly.
I'm not an insomniac. I don't know why I have such a hard time with this!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 12:52 am

Get off the computer. Turn off all electronics. Lay in bed. Close eyes. Drift off. It's not always that simple, of course. I've struggled with a sleep disorder since childhood. But most of the people on these forums who complain about a lack of sleep aren't even trying.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:10 am

It's not that easy for me. It usually takes more than an hour for me to fall asleep. Several is not uncommon. My parents go to bed at like, 2, and they watch the TV (which I can hear) up until that point. And they get up at frickin 6 am! Right now they're listening to music really loud. :x

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 2:35 am

Try valerian or melatonin =)

I get what you mean, I never sleep before 5 or 6. And in the summer its particularly bad, I can not sleep in the heat it makes me miserable.

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 2:40 am

Getting more exercise can aid falling asleep. Also, the blue lights that are present in computer monitors and tvs actually keep you awake so it's best to stay away from them an hour before trying to sleep. If you spend a lot of time in your bedroom during the day that apparently is bad for sleep. You could also try melatonin. It knocked me out pretty well, but made me depressed so I wouldn't really recommend it unless you have an unusually sunny disposition.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 2:50 am

My bedtime is at around 5AM.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 2:56 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
It's 8:40 AM, I haven't slept. Why?! During summer I keep getting more and more nocturnal. It's awful...I'm not an insomniac. I don't know why I have such a hard time with this!

I wonder if you've ever considered the possibility that you might naturally be nocturnal. The reason I ask is because I am a nite owl and always have been. Unless I'm drunk, sick, or have been up more than 24 hours, I cannot sleep before 2:00am. It's not a bad thing per se, but you need to embrace it. Because unless you go on prescription drugs, you probably won't be able so stick to a morning person schedule.

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 8:55 am

You HAVE to get your body on a sleep schedule. Go to sleep and wake up EVERY DAY at the same time. No caffeine six hours before bedtime. No tv or electronics atleast an hour before, either. I like to read for that last hour. I typically go to sleep at 10pm and wake up at 5am.

Even on my days off I still wake up around 5-ish. I've even developed a nasty habit of waking up 5 minutes before the alarm goes off.

It took me years to realize this, but it DOES work.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2011, 9:16 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
It's 8:40 AM, I haven't slept. Why?! During summer I keep getting more and more nocturnal. It's awful. And during the school year I struggle with getting enough sleep constantly.
I'm not an insomniac. I don't know why I have such a hard time with this!

As posted by myself elsewhere on this forum.

Buy yourself a bicycle; get out into the countryside; and enjoy yourself.
After just a few sessions you'll be sleeping like a baby.
I cured my sleeping problems totally 18 months ago doing just that.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 9:32 am

no coffee, tea or soda after a certain time at night - like 6 hours before bed time.

no eating before bed.

No TV or computer before bed.

Try to sleep with socks on. And try to make it cooler in your room at night.

Try to bathe in the morning instead of at night.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 10:20 am

Join the club, lady. I haven't slept in a long while.

/insomniac

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

I will try some of these suggestions. Do you think I could use those glasses that yellowify the computer light? :P
We don't have countryside here, but I should start riding my bike more. It's just it's SO DARNED hot during the day, and I can't at night. maybe I'll get my mom to go in the evenings with me.
Sleep with socks on?? My room can't be cooled down. it's always like, 87 degrees in there. :(
Oddly I usually adapt to just plain less sleep during the school year, and can get up at 6 even without an alarm. But then I can't do anything math related.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

Because you're not eating enough MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT ;)

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:13 pm

XD

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

You could donate me some meat, maybe carrying a whole load isn't helping you sleep plus I'm HUNGRY!! :P

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
I will try some of these suggestions. Do you think I could use those glasses that yellowify the computer light? :P
We don't have countryside here, but I should start riding my bike more. It's just it's SO DARNED hot during the day, and I can't at night. maybe I'll get my mom to go in the evenings with me.
Sleep with socks on?? My room can't be cooled down. it's always like, 87 degrees in there. :(
Oddly I usually adapt to just plain less sleep during the school year, and can get up at 6 even without an alarm. But then I can't do anything math related.

87 degrees in your room!?! Christ.......thats what my room is like when I get home from work. Theres no way I could sleep in that. Can't you get a window air conditioning unit? I have one and I set mine for like 64 degrees during the day and 72 at night. No wonder you're having trouble sleeping lol.