What book(s) are you currently reading?

Page 2 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 3:32 pm

The last book I read was a different one to the one I listed here last, as I finished that last weekend.
The recent one may not have taken long as I was anxious to finish it due to the sadist remarks from a few of the characters who lacked domestic support, feeding off torment and hate whilst, treating his new wife appallingly.
It was basically about a post natal woman who found out that her husbands mother killed his ex through jealousy of not holding the reins in the family. This reminds me why I couldn't look forwards to marrying anyone from a controlling background, induced scenes of chaos, despair & confusion and never being able to have your say.
I think that marrying someone who's still attached to a regimental composure can have dire consequences on raising a family. Especially if that family, have idealistic home remedies and conclusive endings to how a happy marriage should be. Who wants to live in a house full of old recluses and forgotten heros?
What I need is someone who knows their own mind and can see the impending warning signs ahead if they've been conjuncted before. Also, people who bring their working lives home with them, need a visa abroad or a sanctuary to escape and refuel.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 5:37 am

I have just finished a 435 page paperback called Birmingham Blitz. Testing times equal distant courage and so on.. Anderson bunkers, squalid and cheap conditions, death and bombs, unwanted pregnancies, scarlet fever, and the result.. three dead in a bunker, the characters I got used to reading were mostly, if not equivocally blown to bits/ left to rot in the back of an ambulance. Of course, the daughter was the one doing it all and she survived, so that was one plus. What was left after the war though, well nothing, and what comes to my mind are charred remains of dust and debris and other.. bits of human despair. If I thought that was emotional I might find myself getting worse after the E.U referendum.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 4:18 pm

I'm currently reading a Robert Goddard book. Called Blood Count.

I could go into it but I won't just for now, its too.. political.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 5:37 pm

Captain Blood

Bushmaster
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2016, 3:49 pm

Kafka:Years of insight
The Coming of the Third Reich
The Greatest Battle: 28 days of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

"To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality." -Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 2:02 pm

I was reading Red Mist, by P.Cornwell, and it was hard to follow all the grim plot lines, I found it too gruesome in detail and was pleased to start on another one. The Island by Victoria Hislop is starting along the right lines for me.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 5:16 pm

I am reading 1984 for school, and Watership Down for fun.
I'm enjoying Watership Down so far. :)

Last edited by Lillikoi on 05 Sep 2016, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 5:22 pm

Lillikoi wrote:
I am reading 1984 for school, and Watership Down for fun.
I'm enjoying Watership Down. :)

Watership Down, wasn't what I'd call 'fun' it's the harsher version of Bambi, and it made me feel quite sad when I was little.. back in the early nineties. Of course, some from the older generation might have similar thoughts about Animal Farm, which was something I had to learn in year 9.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 11:59 pm

Not sure if this counts, really, but today I read a small snippet/preview of 22 Things a Woman with Asperger's Syndrome Wants Her Partner to Know, and so far, it fits me to a t.

It's one of the books I ordered, too.

CaptLasik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 6:38 pm

Homage to Catalonia

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 6:58 pm

The Faery Queene , which is actually a 1000-page poem in 6 books.

FrankyViolage

08 Sep 2016, 1:22 am

I'm trying to read some books on writing essays like The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes and How to Write an Essay in Five Easy Steps. I find it very difficult.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 6:31 pm

Aspergirls by Rudy Simone.

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 6:46 pm

i don't like to read i love colors everything that's illustrated, pictures moving pictures.

books are too dull motionlesslifeless for my brain to deal with. masturbation is better/more fun than reading in my opinion

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 6:58 pm

Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 10:29 pm

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy
I find it to be a very fun read. I sort of started 4 other books as well, but I'm going back for them later. Right now I want more of those klutzy princes! :lol:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765