Duck Hunt for NES and modern flat screen TVs.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 9:49 am

I have read that playing Duck Hunt for the NES won't work on a modern flat screen TV.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 10:28 am

That's true. The old light guns worked by reading the scan lines as they refreshed on a CRT screen. LCD and LED flat screen TVs don't work this way so the light gun doesn't register anything.

It's sad, I liked light gun games. The last one I'm aware of that worked was Link's Crossbow Training on the Wii which used the Wiimote and the infrared bar for positioning, so that worked fine with flatscreens.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 8:55 am

NewTime wrote:
Duck Hunt

man what a fun game that was

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 12:32 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
That's true. The old light guns worked by reading the scan lines as they refreshed on a CRT screen. LCD and LED flat screen TVs don't work this way so the light gun doesn't register anything.

It's sad, I liked light gun games. The last one I'm aware of that worked was Link's Crossbow Training on the Wii which used the Wiimote and the infrared bar for positioning, so that worked fine with flatscreens.

It's effectively a temporary issue. There are options for emulating the experience on flat screens, but due to the way the technology worked, you need an interlaced set with scan lines that go from left to right and top to bottom at a certain speed for the controller to know where it's being pointed.

That being said, there are newer versions that use modern image processing technology to know where the gun is being pointed. Sinden has one, I have it, I just haven't had the time to get it set up as the set up is somewhat complicated. And, I believe there are other ones. Ones like the Wiimote are in some ways easier to get working,

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 2:19 pm

I remember a post like this one before.