Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 3:21 pm

Some Aspies/Auties have obsessions like maths, physics or cars, maybe. I am the only Autistic person I know who is madly into animals. I have been fascinated by animals for almost all my life and I can name just about every extant species of the families Felidae (cats), Canidae (Dogs), Mustelidae (Badgers, Weasels etc), Herpestidae (Mongooses etc), Viverridae (Civets, Genets etc) and others. I have not yet managed to conquer Latin names but here a few I can remember off the top of my head:

Poiana leightoni (Leighton's Oyan, an obscure member of the Viverridae family).
Genetta abyssinica (Abyssinian Genet).
Viverricula indica (Small Indian Civet).

I would like to know if this is a common Aspie/Autie obsession and would love to chat with others who have similar obssesive interests. Cheers! :)

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

Aspies/Autists can be obsessed with anything; from fire trucks to batteries. Your obsession is not uncommon. :)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 4:11 pm

There's TONS of people on here that are into cats in particular.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

When I was in elementary school, I was obsessed with wolves. I also had books about the different breeds of domestic cats and dogs, and I memorized a lot of them. To this day I can still pretty accurately guess what breed(s) a dog or cat is by looking at them.

At some point during my childhood, I was obsessed with dinosaurs. I don't remember a lot about this obsession, but my mom says it was a major one. I remember having a lot of toy dinosaurs and books about them, and I also remember having a Tyrannosaurus rex for an imaginary friend named Empanedus (or M.P. for short). I shared him with my brother.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 4:50 pm

I like any animal that has a tail. :O)

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 5:12 pm

I had a pretty significant dinosaur obsession when I was young. I'm actually a bit sad that I don't know as much about them as I used to (or maybe I just know that I don't know anything, in true Socratic style).

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 8:47 pm

I've always been into Animals for as long as I remember especially the Big Cats.
After seeing the movie "Born Free" I had an obsession with African Wildlife.
I've also joined "World wide fund for nature." as I feel its important to save endangered wildlife like Tigers.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 11:38 pm

I am terrified of animals... But love making animal sounds. 90% of what comes out of my mouth are weird animal sounds... Might this count?

But in general aspies can have any interest / obsession, and animals is not an uncommon one... :)

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 5:52 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Aspies/Autists can be obsessed with anything; from fire trucks to batteries. Your obsession is not uncommon. :)

Good to know. :)

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 5:53 am

Lightning88 wrote:
There's TONS of people on here that are into cats in particular.

Intriguing... Why is it that so many people are into cats rather than other animals?

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 5:56 am

IdahoRose wrote:
When I was in elementary school, I was obsessed with wolves. I also had books about the different breeds of domestic cats and dogs, and I memorized a lot of them. To this day I can still pretty accurately guess what breed(s) a dog or cat is by looking at them.

At some point during my childhood, I was obsessed with dinosaurs. I don't remember a lot about this obsession, but my mom says it was a major one. I remember having a lot of toy dinosaurs and books about them, and I also remember having a Tyrannosaurus rex for an imaginary friend named Empanedus (or M.P. for short). I shared him with my brother.

Ah, I used to be into dinosaurs as well when I was very young. Presumably the Tyrannosaurus Rex was a toy one? And that's unsurprising that you're obsessed with wolves, seeing as they're SO cool (:wink:)they're one of my favourite animals too.

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 5:58 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I like any animal that has a tail. :O)

:D I recommend looking at some Civet or Genet pictures. They are VERY cute animals with tails.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 5:59 am

Artros wrote:
I had a pretty significant dinosaur obsession when I was young. I'm actually a bit sad that I don't know as much about them as I used to (or maybe I just know that I don't know anything, in true Socratic style).

Mmm, it's interesting how appealing dinosaurs are to young children. :) I was quite influenced by Land Before Time, I think. Do you remember if you were influenced by anything in particular?

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 6:02 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I've always been into Animals for as long as I remember especially the Big Cats.
After seeing the movie "Born Free" I had an obsession with African Wildlife.
I've also joined "World wide fund for nature." as I feel its important to save endangered wildlife like Tigers.

Oh I LOVE "Born Free"! :D I agree, African wildlife is particularly interesting. My favourite animal by far is the Plains Zebra. And though I'm not a member of WWF I support them and hope to become a member soon.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 6:05 am

sagan wrote:
I am terrified of animals... But love making animal sounds. 90% of what comes out of my mouth are weird animal sounds... Might this count?

But in general aspies can have any interest / obsession, and animals is not an uncommon one... :)

Oh I'm sorry you're scared of animals. :? It's very random but cool that you make animal noises though! I'm not sure if it strictly counts in this discussion, but it sounds fine to me.

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2011, 6:18 am

I like dogs a lot. Nearly all the DVDs I buy are related to dogs, and I have a few dog books (both fiction and non-fiction) too. I also do volunteer work with dogs.