"You are very talented!"... I am?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

Many people tell me I am very talented, at writing, or at crocheting, or at drawing, or at whatever I do, although they are not that good in my eyes.

I am called brave, for coming out as transsexual, but I think it was more of an aspie thing, because I am not socially bound, I had no reason to hold back my feelings... I am also told so because of my ability to stay positive even in the toughest of circumstances, but thats just a defensive mechanism I have.

I am told I am highly intelligent not because of my high IQ, but because of my ability to bore someone to death with science facts, or my ability to come up with ideas of new crochet things to make.

I have been told I am patient, due to my ability to crochet for several hours at a time non-stop, or my ability to spend all day researching kangaroo's or raccoon's.

I don't feel like any of these things, I feel lazy, impateint, dumb, untalented, and scared. The things I do, is what I do because I desire to do them, because I am bored, or because I feel driven to pursue them. I don't think that I am above others at my abilities.

Is it really that difficult for a NT to do these things?

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

I don't know, but substitute gay for transsexual and coding for crocheting, and I completely relate.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 5:05 pm

I completely understand how you feel. People tell me all the time that I am very talented at writing, that my arts and crafts are beautiful, that I am highly intelligent, that I'm brave for enduring things such as getting my wisdom teeth pulled. But I don't believe any of it. I feel like I'm stupid and cowardly, and that my artistic and literary abilities as juvenile. I feel like people only tell me I'm intelligent, brave and talented in order to boost my fragile ego, especially since they know I was depressed enough to attempt suicide in the past.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 9:25 pm

I also have people telling me how tallented I am. They tell me that because I play the drums every Friday, I loom knit hats and I'm in Toastmasters.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 7:34 am

I had my 2 friends round for tea this morning. My best friend asked me to bring down my paintings to show to the other one. There they were aghast and amazed. Only 2 of the paintings are finished and they rest are being procrastinated over, as usual. I wish I could just get on with it, but's that's me in a nutshell. They were able to help me dedide which one to enter in a local competition, where it will be judged by people who don't know and love me. Unfortunately, it's one of the unfinished ones.