Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

It seems like sometimes its so annoying to have emotions especially if we are feeling "down". I mean, can't humans just use their mental logic to figure out what are the appropriate actions for different situations?

Sure there are some things like "fight or flight" when are heart beats faster than usual. But there are problems with this. Sometimes you logically know that everything is ok but your heart beats fast anyway. Another problem is that when your heart beats too fast, you are so dizzy and nervous that you won't be able to run so it defeats the purpose of the reaction.

I'm not saying that all emotions seem bad, emotions like love and caring for others is good, but sometimes it just pisses me off when I logically know that everything in life is fine, but I somehow feel "down".

Does having emotions ever piss you off, especially when you feel that it comes at times when it is not needed (or uncalled for)?

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

Well, naturally no one is going to like negative emotions, but when your feeling down just remember that emotions are perfectly natural for a human being, and chances are theres a lot of people who are feeling down too, because its just a part of life, Emotions are what make the world go round if you think about it, i mean, without emotions, we would never feel love, or any human compassion, and without negative emotions we would never have positive emotions either. when your feeling positive emotions it makes the moment of your life so much more meaningful, because you know that it wont always be like that since one day your gonna be depressed about something. and well, without emotions, we would never have sexual feelings, therefor we would never be able to reproduce, srry if the last part was a little blunt but its the truth.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Without emotion, there can be no motivation; without motivation, nothing gets done.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

Both of you made good points but I was thinking more of the seemingly "unwanted negative emotions" that just gets in your way. I already posted that positive stuff like love and compassion are good.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:55 pm

Emotion does suck sometimes, but it is good sometimes.

You have to have the good with the bad.

Just as there is an up for down...there is also a smile for every frown.

Life is about getting through the bad emotions and fully living the good ones.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Both of you made good points but I was thinking more of the seemingly "unwanted negative emotions" that just gets in your way. I already posted that positive stuff like love and compassion are good.

The other point is that sometimes negative emotions can be positive because that then can incite someone to change their ways or to do better.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

"Negative" is a relative term. If are a cave-man and your emotional state is "happy" when you are about to be devoured by a cave-bear, then you will not be likely to survive long enough to pass along your genes to the next generation. But if your emotional state is "enraged" or "terrified", then your survival will be more likely.

"Appropriate" would be a more ... uh ... appropriate term.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Without emotion, there can be no motivation; without motivation, nothing gets done.

Logic can be a motivation; it is for Vulcans.
BTW Schizoids are humans who don't need emotions

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Negative" is a relative term. If are a cave-man and your emotional state is "happy" when you are about to be devoured by a cave-bear, then you will not be likely to survive long enough to pass along your genes to the next generation. But if your emotional state is "enraged" or "terrified", then your survival will be more likely.

It is of course, entirely possible that someone could change their response to a negative situation to something that they can live with.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

Fnord wrote:

"Appropriate" would be a more ... uh ... appropriate term.

I rarely have near-death experiences though. My negative emotions seems uncalled for.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:28 pm

jc6chan wrote:
sometimes it just pisses me off when I logically know that everything in life is fine, but I somehow feel "down".

I totally understand this. I get angry when I feel something and have no idea why.

I think emotions are valuable. Without them, we'd be cybermen, right? :lol: But they are certainly frustrating when you don't understand them.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

jc6chan wrote:
My negative emotions seems uncalled for.

It has to have some purpose. I mean, animals don't have emotions but they don't get as much out of life.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

nick007 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Logic can be a motivation; it is for Vulcans.
BTW Schizoids are humans who don't need emotions

Exactly.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

It has to have some purpose. I mean, animals don't have emotions but they don't get as much out of life.

Are you sure animals don't have emotions? It seems as though there have been many studies done showing that certain species show emotions of caring for one another.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:51 pm

jc6chan wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

Are you sure animals don't have emotions? It seems as though there have been many studies done showing that certain species show emotions of caring for one another.

Hmmm, I'm tired right now, so my logic might be flawed a bit. :roll: Anywas, they probably can feel emotion but not to the extent that humans can and they cannot reason, I don't think.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

Hmmm, I'm tired right now, so my logic might be flawed a bit. :roll: Anywas, they probably can feel emotion but not to the extent that humans can and they cannot reason, I don't think.

I think you have confused it with reason/freewill.