Do you ever feel guilty about things that aren't your fault?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 3:35 am

I do! It's stupid.
A good week ago or so my parents brought me a coconut. I LOVE coconuts. I opened it and it was horribly rotten. I still feel guilty and cringe thinking about it.
Once when I was little my dad bought be a used book online, it came and was brittle and falling apart. I was so ashamed of myself I never read it, and didn't tell him of its state. Remembering it makes me feel guilty now.

Why Do I feel like this? It happens often. Do you ever feel this way about pointless things you can't control? You feel like it's somehow your fault, and get embarrassed/guilty/ashamed?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:01 am

No.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:17 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
No.

Well, thank you for that enlightening answer!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:47 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
No.

Well, thank you for that enlightening answer!

Sorry, I didn't know what else to say. The thread seems to not have garnered much response so I thought I'd give it a bit of activity.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:51 am

I used to feel like that often but I don't anymore.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 5:01 am

Yes
If I accidently knock something over in my typical clumsy manner, or spill a drink or something I feel terrible even if it wasn't my fault lol.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:41 am

Yeah

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

I felt that way yesterday. I picked up a can and drained a couple of drops that was at the bottom of a pop can. Some witch that I know asked me what I was doing draining her boyfriend's can who I also know in a very confrontational way. I was feeling guilty for the rest of the day. I have trust issues when it comes to people and the way that they talk to me.

Arceuscam
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

Totally, my little bro always makes me have the blame for almost anything and everything. Even though he's 8 and im 12, I don't know how to deal with him.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

Yes. I apologize for my autism and being quiet, all the time.

No, not everyone is accepting of it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
Do you ever feel guilty about things that aren't your fault?

I used to, all of the time, but then I grew up.

My dad tried to make me feel guilty for everything from his alcoholism to him getting fired from his job. He even tried to blame me for my brothers' drug habits and their bastard children, as well as my sisters' mouthing back at him.

Preachers tried to make me feel guilty for sins that others had committed before I was born, and for the deaths of children from starvation in countries that I'd never visited.

Teachers tried to make me feel guilty for getting beat up by bullies, and for making others feel stupid because my grades were higher than theirs.

Bosses tried to make me feel guilty for their poor decisions that led to missed deadlines.

My ex-wife tried to blame me for the death of her father, which occurred 6 years before we even met.

My drill instructors tried to make me feel guilty for someone else's unmade bunk.

Liberals now try to make me feel guilty for poor people who dropped out of school and never tried to make themselves marketable for employment.

I do not believe in guilt-by-proxy - I am guilty of only those crimes and sins that I have personally committed, and no one else's.

So there.

:P

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

_jake
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
A good week ago or so my parents brought me a coconut. I LOVE coconuts. I opened it and it was horribly rotten. I still feel guilty and cringe thinking about it.
Once when I was little my dad bought be a used book online, it came and was brittle and falling apart. I was so ashamed of myself I never read it, and didn't tell him of its state. Remembering it makes me feel guilty now.

Haha, I know what you're talking about. I'll feel bad for the other person if they do something for me or get me something and it turns out badly in some way, even if it's really small. I guess I never thought of applying the word guilty to that though.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

Uh, I guess that I can think of one... such as the separation of my parents... it probably wasn't my fault mostly, but it sort of feels like it is my fault, for different reasons.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

No not really.

I do feel guilty for things that are my fault though, and possibly sometimes things that I think are my fault aren't actually my fault.

So no. But possibly also yes. If that makes any sense.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

I don't feel guilt about things that are my fault. It's a useless emotion.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:29 pm

Sometimes. It depends on what happened.