Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

I am really annoyed by the amount of sarcasm used by people on this website. I understand that they're trying to be "witty" or "funny", but it's just irritating. When somebody makes a topic asking a question on here, I try to always answer with a straightforward, honest answer, because I know that if I made a topic asking a question, I would want people to answer in a straightforward, honest way too. Golden Rule and all that. But it seems to me that a lot of WP members try to turn every topic asking a question into a contest to see who can be the "wittiest". I don't know about anyone else, but it causes me to roll my eyes rather than laugh.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 12:59 pm

The reason that I don't like sarcasm, is because it reminds me of the way that Charlie Babbitt treated his autistic brother Raymond in the movie, Rain Man.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

I like it just as long as it's harmless. I use it all the time and I don't even realize it. I think I have a sarcastic attitude because people think I am being sarcastic when I'm not. I tend to use it to get my point across to show how ridiculous something is. I also do humor and that counts as sarcasm. Just something I learned to do and now it's become natural for me. People just find me funny even though I don't tend to be. When I tend to be, I am not funny.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 7:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I like it just as long as it's harmless. I use it all the time and I don't even realize it. I think I have a sarcastic attitude because people think I am being sarcastic when I'm not. I tend to use it to get my point across to show how ridiculous something is. I also do humor and that counts as sarcasm. Just something I learned to do and now it's become natural for me. People just find me funny even though I don't tend to be. When I tend to be, I am not funny.

^^^ harmless well put

I love sarcasm, and comedy also. Its all a matter of intent, usage and delivery.

Crow_T_Robot
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2011, 8:48 pm

I'm a hypocrite because I can't usually tell when other people are being sarcastic (at least if they deliver it in a proper deadpan fashion), but I tend to use sarcasm quite a bit. I think I just picked it up from my dad, although even with him, I can't always tell when he's joking or not.

It's something of a coping mechanism for me, I guess.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 9:01 pm

What I hate is bad sarcasm. The kind where someone goes over the top and waits too long before (or doesn't) reveal that they're being sarcastic.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

I'm quite sarcastic, though not in a mean-spirited sort of way. I think sarcasm is great in the right context.

... I often find myself using it in the wrong context and annoying people. :oops:

Crow_T_Robot
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2011, 9:07 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
... I often find myself using it in the wrong context and annoying people. :oops:

Haha... You too? :oops:

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 9:42 pm

I understand why people like it, and can identify when it is being used, but I am not a fan of it...especially when someone is making jabs at another person and exposing their vulnerablities. A former good friend of mine was extremely sarcastic to the point where often I could not tell if she was trying to be funny or not. It was annoying, and not at all funny.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Last edited by anneurysm on 24 Sep 2011, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 9:55 pm

i have no idea if i am sarcastic. i think i need to know this before i form an opinion about other's people's habits.

EmiliaL
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2011, 9:58 pm

Oh, I seem to be wired to be sarcastic, but I prefer to aim it at ideas and not people.

My usual targets is politicians who can't hear me anyway. :)

Various and sundry literary figures and members of the intelligentisa say puns are the lowest form of humour. Then again, none of those who said so were very punny writers.

viera
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm

I can't identify sarcasm. I take it way too literal. could be the reason why I hate sarcasm.

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2011, 11:06 pm

Sarcasm bugs me.

For comedy without sarcasm, there's no one better than P. G. Wodehouse.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 12:32 am

JohnOldman wrote:
Sarcasm bugs me.

For comedy without sarcasm, there's no one better than P. G. Wodehouse.

I never knew of Wodehouse, no I've never been a literature guru..

"Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove" Wodehouse

"fate is a b***h isn't she"

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

My general issue with sarcasm is that it's too mean spirited. A secondary issue is that anyone can be sarcastic, it doesn't take much intelligence.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 5:20 pm

I have a heck of a time with sarcasm, since I don't understand it very well, yet this is how people are always going to communicate with me on a day to day basis. It was surprising to me when I met Aspies both offline and online to find how many Aspies use it with some degree of success.