What should i do if i see no one is helping(family member)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2011, 8:52 am

Hello.

My younger sister, turned 14 a month ago, is having problems with school. She does not go to school. (mostly)Every school day she lies and tells that she goes to school, but instead she goes to wander around and shows up at the time the school is supposed to be over and when people ask she tells that she did went to school. When they find out, people are yelling at her, mostly grandparents. They seem to think that lashing their anger on her will improve her and make her go to school, but i am sure it makes her even more miserable and have an even worse self-esteem(i think she is lacking in that). She(sister) is angry and frustrated quite often. She shows great resistance, but i suspect that under that lies a depressed teenager. She is NT, mostly at least(seems to be). Our mother is kind of disconnected. She is paranoid at times and rejects help, nor does she do anything and thinks that my sister is supposed to be a grown up and do her things herself. Social workers sometimes show up, but won't do anything but tell the same thing all over again, and mother is not very honest or straightforward when speaking to social worker. She smiles, speaks and tells that she will handle it(yea right). So there is no help, as it seems. She(sister) listens to sad songs mostly and seems very bored. She also writes dramatic stuff sometimes on paper somewhere. Usually about family or love, boyfriends and such. I am thinking that if it is some teen depression that it might get worse. She also gets bullied by some people. She has been like this for about 2 years atleast.

What could be the options to help her(my sister)? I have no clues, but i'd like to. But i do not want to upset my already paranoid mother, who i am afraid might start thinking that i am her enemy. (Can't help my mom, because she thinks she is absolutely fine in her head and that others really are stalking her and making money behind her back.)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Sep 2011, 1:42 pm

I would suggest trying to talk to your sister & figure out why she is skipping school. perhaps she is skipping it due to having problems like being bullied, learning disabilities or self-esteem issues & addressing those things might make her more inclined to go

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

Maybe you have a family member or - friend that is respected by your sister and could ask him to help. Most of the times advice of someone close does not help (at least in my experience), but advice of someone else does.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Sep 2011, 2:55 pm

Asterisp wrote:
Maybe you have a family member or - friend that is respected by your sister and could ask him to help. Most of the times advice of someone close does not help (at least in my experience), but advice of someone else does.

That is a very good idea. I've talked to teens online some about school & other issues & I think they listened & respected my opinions/views more than their parents. It may help if the person is a little older than her & is kind of an immature caring older brother type

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2011, 2:23 am

Thanks for replies.

I will ask if she wants to go to karate with me. If that won't help, if she won't come even when i tell her about it in detail, then i'll try and use your ideas.