Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2011, 8:33 am

Hi, I am hoping someone here has some knowledge of air conditioners and can help me choose between my options. I have done my research but it's still Greek to me.

I am looking to replace a 17-year old central A/C for my townhouse. My current unit is a Carrier 3 ton, single stage, that has worked well but is aging and needs minor repairs every year or so. I have gotten 3 quotes over the past couple months.

Company A gave me two options: (This was back in May)
A Carrier Base model, 14 SEER, 2.5 ton, single stage, with 10 year warranty on parts and 1 year on labor - $4185.
A Carrier Comfort model, 14 SEER, 2.5 ton, single stage, with 10 year warranty on parts and 5 years on labor - $4940.
Prices include everything, including removal of old unit, all permits, and duct work, plus the first year cleaning free.

Company B gave me two options in August:
An American Standard/Trane Allegiance, 13 SEER, 3 ton, single stage, with 10 year warranty on parts - $2800.
A York Affinity, 17 SEER (although it will not actually perform that high with my existing equipment), 3 ton, single stage, with 10 year warranty on parts - $3850.
Prices include everything.

Company C gave me two options in September:
A Carrier Comfort model, 13 SEER, single stage with 5 year warranty on parts and maintenance (may be the same model as A above, I'm not sure) - $3300-$3500.
A Carrier that is essentially the same model but better advertised, with "more bells and whistles" - $4300-$4600.
He did not write me a formal quote after I mentioned I might wait a few months to purchase. Prices include everything.

I am unsure how long I'm staying in the house - it may be 1-2 more years, or it may be more than 5 years - I have no idea. I do know I should replace it before I try to sell.

My last question is, should I buy now or wait? I was thinking of waiting till the end of winter, to avoid a few months of wear and tear and save myself one year's cleaning. However, Company C mentioned that now is the end of A/C season, so they are trying to move units, and deals may be best right now (he pressured me most of all to buy now).

Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks.

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2011, 8:18 am

*bump*

Anyone, anyone?... Special interest in air conditioners?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Sep 2011, 3:32 pm

Oh my goodness. i didnt relise cold air was so expencive, right now i have a wall mounted airconditioner that i really cant imagine costing more than a few hundred dollars. works wonderfully i tell you :pig:

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 12:24 am

I've been thinking of getting a split system myself, but I don't know where to put the outside box thingy (without it being disturbing for the neighbours)

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 7:29 am

greenturtle74 wrote:
Hi, I am hoping someone here has some knowledge of air conditioners and can help me choose between my options. I have done my research but it's still Greek to me.

I am looking to replace a 17-year old central A/C for my townhouse. My current unit is a Carrier 3 ton, single stage, that has worked well but is aging and needs minor repairs every year or so. I have gotten 3 quotes over the past couple months.

Company A gave me two options: (This was back in May)
A Carrier Base model, 14 SEER, 2.5 ton, single stage, with 10 year warranty on parts and 1 year on labor - $4185.
A Carrier Comfort model, 14 SEER, 2.5 ton, single stage, with 10 year warranty on parts and 5 years on labor - $4940.
Prices include everything, including removal of old unit, all permits, and duct work, plus the first year cleaning free.

Company B gave me two options in August:
An American Standard/Trane Allegiance, 13 SEER, 3 ton, single stage, with 10 year warranty on parts - $2800.
A York Affinity, 17 SEER (although it will not actually perform that high with my existing equipment), 3 ton, single stage, with 10 year warranty on parts - $3850.
Prices include everything.

Company C gave me two options in September:
A Carrier Comfort model, 13 SEER, single stage with 5 year warranty on parts and maintenance (may be the same model as A above, I'm not sure) - $3300-$3500.
A Carrier that is essentially the same model but better advertised, with "more bells and whistles" - $4300-$4600.
He did not write me a formal quote after I mentioned I might wait a few months to purchase. Prices include everything.

I am unsure how long I'm staying in the house - it may be 1-2 more years, or it may be more than 5 years - I have no idea. I do know I should replace it before I try to sell.

My last question is, should I buy now or wait? I was thinking of waiting till the end of winter, to avoid a few months of wear and tear and save myself one year's cleaning. However, Company C mentioned that now is the end of A/C season, so they are trying to move units, and deals may be best right now (he pressured me most of all to buy now).

Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks.

I installed a 13 seer for a friend, it was a Goodman split r/22 system in '08, with a TXV valve. Living in your northern zone, (Philly area) the odds of getting your money back on a 17 seer system would never happen over the life of the system, not unless you keep your place as cold as a meat locker.
The Carrier unit is top shelf.

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2011, 8:21 am

Mdyar wrote:
I installed a 13 seer for a friend, it was a Goodman split r/22 system in '08, with a TXV valve. Living in your northern zone, (Philly area) the odds of getting your money back on a 17 seer system would never happen over the life of the system, not unless you keep your place as cold as a meat locker.

Thanks - I'm sure 13 SEER is adequate for me - should I eliminate the 17 SEER even though the price is reasonable?

As far as the American Standard at $2800 - that seems ridiculously low... or a great deal, I can't tell which.

If I go with a Carrier, should I check back with Company A on what their prices are now, since the estimate's from back in May?

What's the advantage of going with 10 year warranty over 5?

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

greenturtle74 wrote:
Mdyar wrote:

Thanks - I'm sure 13 SEER is adequate for me - should I eliminate the 17 SEER even though the price is reasonable?
As far as the American Standard at $2800 - that seems ridiculously low... or a great deal, I can't tell which.

If I go with a Carrier, should I check back with Company A on what their prices are now, since the estimate's from back in May?

What's the advantage of going with 10 year warranty over 5?

One thing to keep in mind is that if your humidity is low, the higher seer performs better, as per advertising specs. The tonnage is the same, but the coils are larger in size( a-coil and condenser coil) The larger coils cool quicker,but less with dehumidifying. More humidity , and lower seers work with same over head cost, ie. electricity.

RE warranty: Different compressor brands? Go with "Copeland Scroll"-- you won't go wrong.

EmiliaL
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

greenturtle74 wrote:

The end of winter is also the beginning of spring, which depending on where you live gets people thinking about a new A/C.

Generally speaking the dead of winter is when NO ONE thinks about A/C, and companies run specials then. However, HVAC companies heating business. Really, it depends on where you live. Here in ATL I look to buy a new A/C unit before the heating season starts up for real, which is from about now till mid-November.

Whatever you do, look into the company itself before you decide. I always check BBB online and see what customers have to say on ratings sites.

The best A/C in the world means nothing if it's installed by fools or a shady company, and no reason to risk being overcharged either.

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2011, 7:10 pm

EmiliaL wrote:
Whatever you do, look into the company itself before you decide. I always check BBB online and see what customers have to say on ratings sites.

The best A/C in the world means nothing if it's installed by fools or a shady company, and no reason to risk being overcharged either.

That's true. All 3 companies are BBB members. I have used Company A before, never used B or C. Still so confused...

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 9:46 pm

79 dollars per year is the cost savings going from a 13 seer to a 16 seer for a 21/2 ton in zone 5 (my area). You'd gain a little bit more with a 17. If you buy over 15 seer, the government picks up 10% of the cost, up to $500. This incentive may end at the years end. This is the equipment cost.

Another tidbit: Furnace condition. If you are forced air heat, I'm assuming your unit here is 17 years old ( as old as split unit)? If so, you would lose some seer by combining a high seer to an old air handler.

This is something a contractor would know of what is best.

Hope it works for y'all. :)

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

Well, the price has gone down $200 from Company A on the Carrier Comfort. Maybe I should do that?

I wish I was sure I am not passing up the same thing from Company C for over $1000 less. When in doubt, I tend to overspend in the hopes that I'm getting higher quality somehow.