Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 12:22 pm

if you're watching a scary movie the music in the backround is what makes you afraid. try watching a scary movie with happy music playing in the backround and its impossible to be afraid.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Sep 2006, 12:27 pm

Mostly, yeah. If you put scary music behind the Harlem Globetrotters, I'd get spooked.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 12:29 pm

haha funny for multiple reasons

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 12:31 pm

I wondered why I managed to watch "A Summer Place" even though it's a soap opera movie, and then I saw this thread and realized that it was the music!

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 12:53 pm

I'm not sure anybody but waterdogs would have thought of trying this. Somehow he always goes right to the basics. I haven't tried it, but I have no trouble believing it.

What this brought to my mind is how music and art are usually considered among the highest expressions of human uniqueness, but I can listen to some bird songs, and especially coyote songs, and enjoy them as much as I enjoy any human musician. It seems likely that the individuals producing the music have some similar experience of it.

Art gets even weirder. Flowers were designed by insects choosing the ones that most appealed to them. Why do I find them as beautiful as any art produced by a human?

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

krex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 12:56 pm

The scariest music to me is little kids sing/chanting in a sweet "chorus"doen in a lot of 70's movies
SPOOKY

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 1:00 pm

lol

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 1:34 pm

I think film composers have known this for a long time :wink:

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 6:56 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
I'm not sure anybody but waterdogs would have thought of trying this. Somehow he always goes right to the basics.
why thank you, i'm sure people have thought about it and tried it. it works/ the reason im the kindof guy that gets down to the basics is because thats were the truth is!!

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 7:28 pm

It's because the music is REAL. The made up scary images, as good as they are, aren't real. Music touches us so far below the surface that anyone can feel it.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 5:44 am

It's not just with music, you know...

Think of a slightly stressful or distressing event that has happened in your life..
Now put some 'happy' music on top, eg. music like you would hear at a circus where the clowns come on. ( Make it really loud & surround sound, like you can feel it in your body.)

How do feel about that event now?

Pug
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2006, 9:57 am

'Scary' movies are never scary. They are fake, you know... I can't believe people are scared when they watch scary movies.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 10:17 am

im never freaked out by movies that are scary that are obviously fake. but movie like the exorcist, when i saw it the first time scared me. also movies about alien abductions like fire in the sky are pretty scary i think

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 6:11 pm

To me the really scary movies or books involve insane people acting out their fantasies or paranoid delusions. Maybe it's a little too close to home for me or something.

I like monster movies or devil stories, because of the special effects. My enthusiasm for graphic art and design leads me right into them, but in a good way. I'm amazed at how much Hollywood has improved the visuals and the extent to which they will carry an illusion for the screen.

oddfellow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2006, 11:30 pm

waterdogs wrote:
try watching a scary movie with happy music playing in the backround and its impossible to be afraid.

For some reason I was thinking of the exact opposite: Let's say you take something that's normally supposed to be cute and fun, like circus clowns, but say they have creepy music instead of fun happy music. I think watching circus clowns with creepy music would be scary as hell. 8O

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 10:22 am

Yup. And to be honest, as a musician, it is often the only indication I have of how I am supposed to be feeling during a film.