Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 11:29 pm

Do people still wear mask? Is there a really good mask that let you breathe?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 12:32 am

I still keep one in my pocket but only ever wear it in medical type waiting room environments.. unless they supply disposable ones that they insist I wear instead, then I wear that. There's only one acquaintance I have that asks that I wear a mask at their place so I don't question it and just do.

Other than that I don't wear one anywhere ever and neither does almost anyone else. There's one guy that comes to parties I work at that wears a mask always. There's the odd person in a store. The staff at the health centre where I have physio/massage/acupuncture/chiropractor etc all wear them - but I think that's company policy being a health related facility. Not sure if it's government mandated. Staff and visitors still wear them at LifeLabs where I go for blood tests. Staff and visitors all wear them in hospitals when I go to visit people there.

But in general life and society almost no one is wearing masks. Probably a good practice to wear one if you're high risk OR if you Know you have any cold/flu symptoms. Would be nice if people who had colds all masked up and kept their germs to themselves. But I doubt very many people are going to do that in the long run - mostly just the Oriental Asian cultures that have already been doing that for a long time. They're the ones who do that here to be polite and not spread germs when they're sick.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 4:53 pm

My mother and I wore masks while in the waiting room for my doctor's appointment last week. But we took them off when we left. I still see some people wearing masks, probably because they have health problems.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 11:27 pm

I thought masks were a thing of the past now. I don't carry one, I assume if anybody wants me to put one on they'll give me one. And I haven't seen a doctor for years, and have only seen a dentist 2 or 3 times a year.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 11:33 am

I have to go to my doctor about twice a year to get my meds refills renewed.

Back in late January I was sick with a bad chest cold for almost two weeks, and when I was well enough to go out again I wore a mask just to be safe. But then a week or so later I realized I forgot to put a mask on when I went into Walmart and was like, "forget it".

I feel like I'm not a very good or responsible person for not wearing a mask every time I go out since it no longer became mandatory. :(

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 4:13 pm

^
It's impossible to live in a way that subjects nobody else to any risks at all. It sounds like your "crime" is too tiny to count. Every time somebody drives, there's a small risk they'll hit a pedestrian, but hardly anybody refuses to drive on the grounds of that. You can still pass on a virus whether you're wearing a mask or not. And people are usually less contagious once they've begun to fight off the infection. It's hard to calculate small risks and benefits exactly. There has to be compromise, otherwise we'd all still be in lockdown.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 4:43 pm

It depends on what the COVID rates are. For example, in December they were pretty high. My sister, brother-in-law, niece, and nephew had it. On my brother's side of the family, they were sick but not with COVID. As a result, we had no holiday get-together last year. In that type of situation, I wear a KN95 mask indoors. I have never worn a mask outdoors just taking a walk. Even in 2020 with no vaccines and everything locked down. Now the rates are low so I am not mask-wearing

I am 66 years old and a cancer survivor and the idea of getting long covid although a lot less now still freaks me out. On the other hand, due to a tongue replacement operation, my speech is sometimes hard to understand. Mask-wearing makes it much worse.

I also get a booster every 6 months or so.

goldfish21 wrote:
There's one guy that comes to parties I work at that wears a mask always. There's the odd person in a store. The staff at the health centre where I have physio/massage/acupuncture/chiropractor etc all wear them - but I think that's company policy being a health related facility. Not sure if it's government mandated. Staff and visitors still wear them at LifeLabs where I go for blood tests. Staff and visitors all wear them in hospitals when I go to visit people there.

But in general life and society almost no one is wearing masks. Probably a good practice to wear one if you're high risk OR if you Know you have any cold/flu symptoms. Would be nice if people who had colds all masked up and kept their germs to themselves. But I doubt very many people are going to do that in the long run - mostly just the Oriental Asian cultures that have already been doing that for a long time. They're the ones who do that here to be polite and not spread germs when they're sick.

Pretty similar here. Nobody talks about COVID either.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 5:54 pm

My whole life I have been good at getting respiratory infections.

I had pneumonia >6 times before I was 10.

I've been jealous of other cultures where TV showed masks to be routine. After COVID-19 I routinely wear a mask.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Today, 10:24 pm

I still always wear one in public. It's because I'm immuno-compromised and even the most minute of protection is better than none (even though I know if I'm the only one wearing one it doesn't matter much if at all).

While I made it okay without any severe symptoms both times I have caught COVID, the second time I got it last November has left me with some long COVID, like increased heart rate and brain fog. It's not fun. This is far from the worst that long COVID can do, too.

I had to go on the pills both times I had COVID because the chance of severe symptoms are higher for me. Too many people where I currently live don't care, though. They never did. I'm so glad I'm moving. I'll be glad to live in a state where vaccination rates are good.