THE HOTTY HOOKERS AND NAUGHTY KNITTERS THREAD

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 2:27 am

This is the thread to get down and dirty about knitting and crochet. I started out knitting about 15 yrs ago by teaching myself how to knit a scarf from a box. Within the last year or so, I taught myself how to crochet and it actually took me 3 hrs just to get the hang if a chain! I have multiple knitting and crochet DVDs as I'm a visual learner. I also have joined "Craftsy" "Annie's" and "Knitting Daily" which have apps that have patterns and videos of their shows that I can watch. I was in "Meetup" and found a knitting and crochet group in my area, but had a bad experience and haven't went back yet. I still might return to that group, but school will be starting soon too. I used to knit and crochet small cat blankets for shelters but then school happened and that stopped. Now I'm working on a knitted "waved" afghan in Fall colors and crocheting a granny square afghan in black and some bright colors. I would show some of my work, but I don't know how to post pictures. I've made lots of frilly scarves, shawls and I tried socks. I love collecting knitting bags, notions and needles. When I see several skeins (my friend Mary calls them skanks - I didn't correct her :lol: ) I just can't look away. I love looking at all the colors of yarns. My problem is finishing projects - I keep seeing new things I'd like to try. Not enough time in a day I guess. Anyone else here knit and crochet? Pull up a chair and share! (Guys welcome too) :)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jul 2015, 4:01 am

Amazing that you could knit a scarf from a box. I thought you had to use wool? :mrgreen:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 4:17 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Amazing that you could knit a scarf from a box. I thought you had to use wool? :mrgreen:

Oh Jeez Louise! I always have a hard time remembering the literal thing. You're funny, Mr. E! Forget the box, you have a blog to attend to. :D

Btw, thanks for starting the first post. Who knows, this may end up being your most favorite thread. Cats can always use something small to sleep on that anyone can make - even you. I see a new hobby in your future. :wink:

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 4:27 am

The only way to make this thread funnier would be adopting Terrence Stamp as your user pic:

I wonder if someone could knit my car some seat covers... :?:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 10:53 am

cberg wrote:
The only way to make this thread funnier would be adopting Terrence Stamp as your user pic:

I wonder if someone could knit my car some seat covers... :?:

Who is that guy? And is that a knitted scarf?! He'd definitely have to wear only knitted or crocheted items. He probably could use a hat too.

Anyway, I'd probably have to learn to knit a sweater before any seat covers, but I have crocheted a scarf for one of my Aspie friends in black and red to match his Jeep and an afghan for my other Aspie friend - he hasn't given me his last name though so I'm scared to send it thinking it may get lost. I made it in a nice Miami water blue - his favorite color.

Darn, I flunked.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 11:02 am

I'm really not at all familiar with all these handiwork terms, not in Finnish which is my own language, let alone in English. I had to google 'crocheting' and when I looked at the relevant images, I had to lean back trying to remember the corresponding local term.

So, this picture shows simple crocheting, right?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 6:24 pm

Krabo wrote:
I'm really not at all familiar with all these handiwork terms, not in Finnish which is my own language, let alone in English. I had to google 'crocheting' and when I looked at the relevant images, I had to lean back trying to remember the corresponding local term.

So, this picture shows simple crocheting, right?

Yes, it looks like single crochet. Very beautiful! Show us a picture of the finished product please.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 6:37 pm

Here's a few of my pieces:

[url][URL=http://s610.photobucket.com/user/nurseangie11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsyfjcmyld.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s610.photobucket.com/user/nurseangie11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsevrtjwzq.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

No, that's not my real head in this picture.

[url][URL=http://s610.photobucket.com/user/nurseangie11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9q4355hd.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s610.photobucket.com/user/nurseangie11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswm8s7xyd.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s610.photobucket.com/user/nurseangie11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskldu3qoj.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Darn, I flunked.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Jul 2015, 2:14 am

Lovely! You sure have talent.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 8:30 am

I've been crocheting since I was about 7 years old. I was sick a lot as a child and home from school a lot too. My grandmother had to find something I could do and be still while I was doing it and while I loved to read, I'd run out of books fairly fast. She taught me how to crochet. I loved it. I got very good very fast and I've been doing it ever since.

Lately I've been making afghans. I can't find a pic of the pattern I used but it's called the Lacey Panels Afghan from the 1-2-3 Crochet magazine by Ravelry, issue #12. They have it online but not all the patterns and thats one of the one I don't have. It's very pretty and doesn't take that long to finish. I actually started making one out of that very soft, very thick baby yarn. It's not that really thin kind, this is very thick so I need an I or J hook instead of the H that I use with the regular yarn for this pattern. It's also about $3 a skein and has half the amount as regular yarn. It takes about 7 or 8 skeins to make a regular size throw, which is what the pattern calls for but I like to double that and make a big one so it's going to take about 16 skeins. I'm not buying that all at once. It's also very heavy unlike regular yarn so it's going to be as soft as if I made it out of bunnies and as heavy as if I made it out of, well, something heavy. So it's going to be mine. I don't like the pastel colors and they only had the multicolored pastels at Walmart in this yarn so I'm using a white, grey,green one. I don't care if the subsequent yarns match the one I am using now, and I'll use any mix they have if they run out of the one I'm using, I'm going for feel. I'll buy two or three skeins a week and it will take me a few hours to use them all up and then I'll put it away until next week. I'll finish it eventually and when I do, I'm not sharing it lol.

One of the kids friends wants a rasta colored blanket but he hasn't bought me the yarn yet. He wants a double size one to go on his bed.

Right now I'm working with some #10 crochet thread in burgundy and I'm making a bedspread. I don't have a pattern and I'm just winging this. It's not going to be very intricate and pretty like the ones made with the little lacy doily squares, but it will be nice. I'm using a granny square type pattern. What I've done is rather than do the chain spaces on the rows, each row is nothing but double crochet all the way to the end and then I chain three for the corner. In each corner I put two double crochet stitches in the chain corner, chain three and put two more double crochet stitches in and then one double crochet in the top of each double crochet all the way across. It's going to end up as a huge square and then I'll work double crochet solid rows on opposite sides to make it into a rectangle. I like the ones made with squares better, but I've started those and just never finish them. I end up with a big bag of squares. I guess it's because I don't see much progress so I give up. I should probably just join them as I go, and that's what I'll do next time but right now I'm going to work on finishing this one. I work on it about an hour or so a day and it will probably take a year to finish this going that way, because I have a full size bed and it's pretty high off the ground and I want the bedspread to come down to about 8 inches from the floor. Thats ok, it gives me something to do.

What I'd like to make is a dress or skirt or a long, full "coat" out of thread. I'd also like to make a long cloak or cape. I need to find a pattern for that. If you have ever seen Downton Abbey, the Dowager wore a crochet or knitted jacket in one of the episodes that I'd love to make. It was the episode with the flower show and she wore the white jacket that came down to about her knees in the scene where they were at the actual flower show. Second season I think it was, but it might have been the first.

I've made several shawls but ended up giving them away. I have a pattern for a beautiful pineapple shawl but it doesn't come down as far as I like. It's one of those little ones. I added rows and rows of my own design to it and made it very heavy and very full. I ended up giving it away to an acquaintance who gave it to her sister. I wish I hadn't given it away now, but I can make another one.

I like thread better for most things than I do yarn but I prefer working with yarn because it's easier and faster. I like to make doilies and I have several vintage books with patterns for doilies and tableclothes, runners, placemats etc in them and I've made a few of the doilies and actually should make some more but I never think about that when deciding what to make. I have made many runners for the mantel and dining room table and dressers and such. I just do it in a shell stitch with #10 thread. I use a closed shell stitch but sometimes I've done a few in an open stitch. I put edging all the way around it but not too ruffly, I like it to lay flat.

I've also done a lot of hats for the kids and their friends. My youngest son loves the jester hat I made him. I have the pattern for that somewhere. It's worked in one piece and has the three points on it. I put bells on them too. I've also made a crochet backpack for both my daughters. You wouldn't think it would be that sturdy but it is. It looks great too. I have that pattern somewhere as well if you want it. I've made several scarves with thread that my younger daughter wears. It's that pattern on about.com that you'll find under "thread crochet". It's the one with the v stitch. I have made a couple out of yarn too but it's not warm enough for a winter scarf because of the open stitch and yarn really isn't what I like for accent scarves and it's also very big if you make it with yarn.

So, thats my crochet stuff for right now. I'd like to make a sweater one day but I don't like how most of them look. I'd need a good stitch for that and so far I haven't seen a crochet sweater that doesn't look cheap or bland. If you run across something, let me know.

Do check out the bag I sent you the pattern for though. It's beautiful and it doesn't have to be lined if you make it with two strands of thread at once. I made a few out of yarn for my granddaughter. I did one out of orange for Halloween and put black felt triangles for the eyes, nose and mouth of the pumpkin, and made the top ruffle and the drawstring out of green. She used it as a trick or treat candy bag. I've also used the pattern with yarn (and with yarn I never use two strands at once) and made tote bags with it by just increasing the number of rows there in the middle. I did some in purple and gold once for the cheerleaders to carry their cheer stuff in. $25 a bag wasn't a bad deal considering it only took me about 3 skeins each to do them. Two purple and one gold. Regular yarn is $2.50 a skein so I paid $7.50 and it would take me about a day to make one. Thats doing it when I'm sitting down watching tv and breaks from housework. If I were to sit down and devote all my time to it, I could make three or four in a day, but I'd get bored and hate it then.

So, that's all I have to say about crochet for now. But I'm always on the lookout for new things to make. If anybody has a good pattern for something interesting and fun and it's crochet (not knit, I can't knit really) post it please. Also, if you want something crocheted but don't know how and you are willing to buy the yarn and mail it to me, I'll make it for you. You'll need to send me the money to mail it back though. I probably wouldn't charge unless it was very big or very intricate, but I wouldn't refuse the money if you offered lol. I just love to crochet for something to do. Having something to do is payment in itself many times. I've actually unraveled things and remade them just to have something to do, so I'm always glad to make something for somebody.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 6:07 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Lovely! You sure have talent.

Why thank you, Mr. E! :oops: You make me blush!

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 6:09 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I've been crocheting since I was about 7 years old. I was sick a lot as a child and home from school a lot too. My grandmother had to find something I could do and be still while I was doing it and while I loved to read, I'd run out of books fairly fast. She taught me how to crochet. I loved it. I got very good very fast and I've been doing it ever since.

Lately I've been making afghans. I can't find a pic of the pattern I used but it's called the Lacey Panels Afghan from the 1-2-3 Crochet magazine by Ravelry, issue #12. They have it online but not all the patterns and thats one of the one I don't have. It's very pretty and doesn't take that long to finish. I actually started making one out of that very soft, very thick baby yarn. It's not that really thin kind, this is very thick so I need an I or J hook instead of the H that I use with the regular yarn for this pattern. It's also about $3 a skein and has half the amount as regular yarn. It takes about 7 or 8 skeins to make a regular size throw, which is what the pattern calls for but I like to double that and make a big one so it's going to take about 16 skeins. I'm not buying that all at once. It's also very heavy unlike regular yarn so it's going to be as soft as if I made it out of bunnies and as heavy as if I made it out of, well, something heavy. So it's going to be mine. I don't like the pastel colors and they only had the multicolored pastels at Walmart in this yarn so I'm using a white, grey,green one. I don't care if the subsequent yarns match the one I am using now, and I'll use any mix they have if they run out of the one I'm using, I'm going for feel. I'll buy two or three skeins a week and it will take me a few hours to use them all up and then I'll put it away until next week. I'll finish it eventually and when I do, I'm not sharing it lol.

One of the kids friends wants a rasta colored blanket but he hasn't bought me the yarn yet. He wants a double size one to go on his bed.

Right now I'm working with some #10 crochet thread in burgundy and I'm making a bedspread. I don't have a pattern and I'm just winging this. It's not going to be very intricate and pretty like the ones made with the little lacy doily squares, but it will be nice. I'm using a granny square type pattern. What I've done is rather than do the chain spaces on the rows, each row is nothing but double crochet all the way to the end and then I chain three for the corner. In each corner I put two double crochet stitches in the chain corner, chain three and put two more double crochet stitches in and then one double crochet in the top of each double crochet all the way across. It's going to end up as a huge square and then I'll work double crochet solid rows on opposite sides to make it into a rectangle. I like the ones made with squares better, but I've started those and just never finish them. I end up with a big bag of squares. I guess it's because I don't see much progress so I give up. I should probably just join them as I go, and that's what I'll do next time but right now I'm going to work on finishing this one. I work on it about an hour or so a day and it will probably take a year to finish this going that way, because I have a full size bed and it's pretty high off the ground and I want the bedspread to come down to about 8 inches from the floor. Thats ok, it gives me something to do.

What I'd like to make is a dress or skirt or a long, full "coat" out of thread. I'd also like to make a long cloak or cape. I need to find a pattern for that. If you have ever seen Downton Abbey, the Dowager wore a crochet or knitted jacket in one of the episodes that I'd love to make. It was the episode with the flower show and she wore the white jacket that came down to about her knees in the scene where they were at the actual flower show. Second season I think it was, but it might have been the first.

I've made several shawls but ended up giving them away. I have a pattern for a beautiful pineapple shawl but it doesn't come down as far as I like. It's one of those little ones. I added rows and rows of my own design to it and made it very heavy and very full. I ended up giving it away to an acquaintance who gave it to her sister. I wish I hadn't given it away now, but I can make another one.

I like thread better for most things than I do yarn but I prefer working with yarn because it's easier and faster. I like to make doilies and I have several vintage books with patterns for doilies and tableclothes, runners, placemats etc in them and I've made a few of the doilies and actually should make some more but I never think about that when deciding what to make. I have made many runners for the mantel and dining room table and dressers and such. I just do it in a shell stitch with #10 thread. I use a closed shell stitch but sometimes I've done a few in an open stitch. I put edging all the way around it but not too ruffly, I like it to lay flat.

I've also done a lot of hats for the kids and their friends. My youngest son loves the jester hat I made him. I have the pattern for that somewhere. It's worked in one piece and has the three points on it. I put bells on them too. I've also made a crochet backpack for both my daughters. You wouldn't think it would be that sturdy but it is. It looks great too. I have that pattern somewhere as well if you want it. I've made several scarves with thread that my younger daughter wears. It's that pattern on about.com that you'll find under "thread crochet". It's the one with the v stitch. I have made a couple out of yarn too but it's not warm enough for a winter scarf because of the open stitch and yarn really isn't what I like for accent scarves and it's also very big if you make it with yarn.

So, thats my crochet stuff for right now. I'd like to make a sweater one day but I don't like how most of them look. I'd need a good stitch for that and so far I haven't seen a crochet sweater that doesn't look cheap or bland. If you run across something, let me know.

Do check out the bag I sent you the pattern for though. It's beautiful and it doesn't have to be lined if you make it with two strands of thread at once. I made a few out of yarn for my granddaughter. I did one out of orange for Halloween and put black felt triangles for the eyes, nose and mouth of the pumpkin, and made the top ruffle and the drawstring out of green. She used it as a trick or treat candy bag. I've also used the pattern with yarn (and with yarn I never use two strands at once) and made tote bags with it by just increasing the number of rows there in the middle. I did some in purple and gold once for the cheerleaders to carry their cheer stuff in. $25 a bag wasn't a bad deal considering it only took me about 3 skeins each to do them. Two purple and one gold. Regular yarn is $2.50 a skein so I paid $7.50 and it would take me about a day to make one. Thats doing it when I'm sitting down watching tv and breaks from housework. If I were to sit down and devote all my time to it, I could make three or four in a day, but I'd get bored and hate it then.

So, that's all I have to say about crochet for now. But I'm always on the lookout for new things to make. If anybody has a good pattern for something interesting and fun and it's crochet (not knit, I can't knit really) post it please. Also, if you want something crocheted but don't know how and you are willing to buy the yarn and mail it to me, I'll make it for you. You'll need to send me the money to mail it back though. I probably wouldn't charge unless it was very big or very intricate, but I wouldn't refuse the money if you offered lol. I just love to crochet for something to do. Having something to do is payment in itself many times. I've actually unraveled things and remade them just to have something to do, so I'm always glad to make something for somebody.

Olive Oil, can you post some of your finished projects? I really want to see your grannie square thingy.

Darn, I flunked.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 8:12 pm

It's not very big at all at the moment, only about a foot and a half across. I don't have a camera nor do I know how to put them on the internet. My phone takes pics but I don't have internet on it. It's an old flip phone. I'll have to get one of the kids to do it and they always say they will send them but never really do. I think I have some pics on my Fb of some stuff I've made to sell, but I don't have the Flickr account anymore. I could make another one though. Let me go see waht I can do.

Here is the pattern for the granny square thing. It's very simple.

Chain 3 and join with a slipstitch. Chain three and dbl twice in circle. Ch 3 and dble 3, ch 3 and dble 3, ch 3 and dble 3, ch3 and join to top of ch 3. Ch 3 and dbl in top of each dbl until you reach the ch. Dbl in next two ch stitches, ch 3, dbl in same ch as last dbl, dbl in next ch. Dbl in top of each dbl, repeat all the way around. join to top of ch 3.

See what I'm doing? I'm just making a row on all four sides, a double crochet stitch in the top of every one on the row below it. I put one in each of the ch stitches on the corner but I ch 3 and put one in the same ch st to form the corner. It's very, very simple. I'll still get you a pic though. Each row gets bigger by two stitches on either end. I think it's called something like a closed granny square or something.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 8:25 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
It's not very big at all at the moment, only about a foot and a half across. I don't have a camera nor do I know how to put them on the internet. My phone takes pics but I don't have internet on it. It's an old flip phone. I'll have to get one of the kids to do it and they always say they will send them but never really do. I think I have some pics on my Fb of some stuff I've made to sell, but I don't have the Flickr account anymore. I could make another one though. Let me go see waht I can do.

Here is the pattern for the granny square thing. It's very simple.

Chain 3 and join with a slipstitch. Chain three and dbl twice in circle. Ch 3 and dble 3, ch 3 and dble 3, ch 3 and dble 3, ch3 and join to top of ch 3. Ch 3 and dbl in top of each dbl until you reach the ch. Dbl in next two ch stitches, ch 3, dbl in same ch as last dbl, dbl in next ch. Dbl in top of each dbl, repeat all the way around. join to top of ch 3.

See what I'm doing? I'm just making a row on all four sides, a double crochet stitch in the top of every one on the row below it. I put one in each of the ch stitches on the corner but I ch 3 and put one in the same ch st to form the corner. It's very, very simple. I'll still get you a pic though. Each row gets bigger by two stitches on either end. I think it's called something like a closed granny square or something.

Olive, do you connect your granny squares with a whip stitch? I tried to connect them as I went with this one piece and I didn't understand how to do it as I kept connecting them. It didn't pan out.

Darn, I flunked.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 8:27 pm

Image578665_732959913387282_169332292_n by OliveOilMom, on Flickr

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 8:29 pm

I still had the Flickr account and I grabbed the ones off FB I had. It took me forever to figure it out but here some old purses are from a couple years ago. They are that drawstring bag I sent you the pattern for, the small ones made out of thread and the big one out of yarn. The other one is an Auburn envelope purse I made my daughter, and I just made that up, I didn't have a pattern for it. It's just a rectangle with a point on it and a strap.

I'll see what else I can find that we have photos of.