Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 12:58 am

In my country the U.S we have butter beans in cans and the other name they are known as is lima beans. But I always heard lima beans were gross or whatever. But since me and my boyfriend discovered them we like them quite a bit, we even just made a ham and cabbage stew and added a lot of butter beans to it. So idk is it just baby boomers or whatever didn't know how to cook them to be tasty or what. Cause like they're good beans Idk why people s**t on them so much unless they just wern't cooking them right. Cause cooked right they do have a buttery texture that goes good in a ham and cabbage soup.

But like a lot of people act like those beans are gross, but I don't think they are, like they are damn delicious in the soup we made.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 5:39 am

I like lima beans :D

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2024, 5:58 am

I quite enjoy Lima Beans. There must be a lot of us, or they would not sell them at the store :)

I do not like Ketchup though. It very much annoys me when I get fast food and they give me ketchup. Did I ask for ketchup? Did you know I abhor ketchup? Well ok. I'll use it in things, as an ingredient, so it will blend in, once in a while, but it is sooo sweet. I dip my fries in mayo.

There is no accounting for tastes.

Jason Thayer
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Mar 2024, 6:45 am

I like them too. But the vegetable I can't stand is Brussels sprouts.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 7:28 am

like anything else, they can be good if properly prepared and awful if they are not. I know someone who combines them with avocado to make an inexpensive guacamole and its not bad either.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 7:47 am

^ Never tried them in guacamole. I'm going to try that if I can remember.

I don't know why people dislike them either. I remember having them as a kid and wondering why people gave them so much bad press. I thought they were amazing, and still do. Agreed, they are good in soup.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 8:23 am

Like them.

And I never met anyone who ever expressed dislike of them.

This belief that you're not supposed to like them is news to me!

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2024, 9:15 am

I've also heard that Broccoli is supposed to be a reviled vegetable. Well, certainly mushy overcooked broccoli is horrid. Mushy overcooked anything is horrid.

But I never disliked Broccoli, even as a small child. I like to toss it in olive oil and spices and roast/air-fry.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 9:31 am

When I was growing up we always had a garden. We had a few rows of butter beans and a lesser amount of lima beans. The lima beans were bigger and I thought they were tastier. Lima beans were served for special occasions because they were viewed as a treat.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 10:07 am

I pretty much live on beans and eat them almost every day. I love beans. I like cannellini, red kidney beans, garbanzos, pinto beans, pink beans, black beans...

But the mealiness and texture of lima beans and butter beans, which is a bit like eating flour, is not good, at least to my taste. I would still eat them if they were offered to me but I would not seek them out.

I didn't realilze that lima beans and butter beans were the same bean. Lima beans are the younger, green ones and butter beans are the more mature, bigger and whiter ones. I don't like either one.

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2024, 10:20 am

bee33 wrote:
I pretty much live on beans and eat them almost every day. I love beans. I like cannellini, red kidney beans, garbanzos, pinto beans, pink beans, black beans...

But the mealiness and texture of lima beans and butter beans, which is a bit like eating flour, is not good, at least to my taste. I would still eat them if they were offered to me but I would not seek them out.

I didn't realilze that lima beans and butter beans were the same bean. Lima beans are the younger, green ones and butter beans are the more mature, bigger and whiter ones. I don't like either one.

I also could live off beans, and some sort of grain or grain-like (quinoa) supplement. With as fresh a flower or fruit or berry or root... you get the point I think.

Limas to me are special (and I also did not know they were Butter Beans, I never knew why they were so similar LOL)

I soak them until the skins come off. Then I painstakingly take the skins out. Then I strain the water and cook them into something as a thickener, or the separated flats in something cold.

I like the way other people use them too. I just have to get used to the skins being in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 10:39 am

I like beans. I just can't eat them with my GI issues.

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2024, 11:02 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I like beans. I just can't eat them with my GI issues.

Well this is understandable. GI issues are not to be mocked. Can you eat nuts or seeds? I'm genuinely curious.

Apologies for those who don't like tangential questions.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Mar 2024, 11:20 am

I don't hate like lima beans but I don't like them either. I wouldn't chose to get lima beans but I could eat them if I was at a function & they were offered to me free. The beans I really like are red beans, black beans, & baked beans. Green beans can be good if they're diced into small peices but I don't care for bigger peices. Plus the bigger green beans sometimes have hidden stem peices inside that hurt my teeth when biting into them. I had to quit eating baked beans a few months ago because they upset my stomach & make me go to the bathroom a lot. Baked beans used to not majorly bother my stomach but my stomach started sometimes having problems seemingly randomly regardless of what I eat or avoid. Baked beans are the only food that will almost always upset my stomach now. I think rice also sometimes upsets my stomach but only sometimes & eating leftovers after my stomach feels betrer won't bother me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 11:45 am

Jason Thayer wrote:
I like them too. But the vegetable I can't stand is Brussels sprouts.

Do Lima beans actually come from Lima Peru?

Did Brussels sprouts actually originate in Brussels Belgium?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 12:50 pm

Wow that soup sounds amazing