Argument One or Two?
Argument One 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Argument Two 94%  94%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 18

Erebus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

Every so often, my friend and I have... Strange conversations. We argue over idiotic things, and I wanted to see what the opinions of others might be on this subject.

Does saying "I will kill your family" include the person it's being said to? Argument One is that saying that to a person means that, yes, you will kill their family, but since they are also apart of their own family you will also kill them. Argument Two is that saying that doesn't include the person, since you were saying that the person's family is going to be killed, not them, and that you need to include them in the statement for them to be included in the killing (I.E. "I will kill you and your family").

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I figured that this was indeed random enough to be included in this section.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 8:44 pm

Well, that really is.. random. xD I chose two!

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Nov 2011, 9:58 pm

I chose Argument #2. In my opinion, if the person were to also kill the person they were talking to, they would have said they were going to kill you and your family.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

03 Nov 2011, 10:50 pm

:lmao:

I chose argument 2.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 1:00 am

Argument 2. If argument 1 were true, then they would have said "I will kill you and your family".

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 3:33 am

I agree with Idaho Rose....Sylkat

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

I chose argument 2 but am really surprised to see that so far no one has voted for option 1!

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2011, 5:25 pm

Well, my thinking is that the point of killing your enemy's family (I will say enemy just for this example) is that they suffer the loss of their family and so if they are also dead, they wouldn't have to live with and suffer the fact that their family was dead. I know that I would rather die than suffer the death of my children and husband - but I digress, I chose 2

Erebus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Nov 2011, 5:49 pm

Interestingly enough, another friend of mine disproved Argument 2. In the end, the question really is just asking if "someone" is apart of their own family. Most people think about what the words are associated with, and believe Argument 2 to be the right answer because of that, but when you just look at the words and their definitions, Argument 1 is the valid answer... I'm not very good at translating what my other friend said for several reasons, but that's about the jist of it.

Also, I believe only a fool would leave someone alive after killing the rest of their family, since that is an intense reason for someone to seek revenge on someone.