Just found out the grossest thing ever

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2011, 5:57 pm

Oh something this gross deserves to be tested, it would be irresponsible of me not to, right?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 6:04 pm

Moths aren't disgusting at all. I liked to hold them when I was a kid :P.

Just liked the feel of their wings.

As someone who ate snails, sea snails and grasshoppers, I can't find this gross :lol:

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 6:31 pm

that sounds kind of magical

avoiding my cocopops til june should do the trick

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 6:50 pm

According to FDA standards each cup of orange juice can contain up to ten fruit fly eggs and two maggots.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2011, 6:59 pm

Moths aren't gross at all, I used to catch them as a kid too(once caught a hummingbird moth) I just don't like the idea of something pupating inside my wheat products.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 7:08 pm

lilbuddah wrote:
Moths aren't gross at all, I used to catch them as a kid too(once caught a hummingbird moth) I just don't like the idea of something pupating inside my wheat products.

I recall that some moth/butterfly species leave bright 'traces' ( like hundreds of shiny points) on my palms, like those brighty makeup products women use for weddings.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 10:00 pm

they're not really big pretty moths usually. they often look like this.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 12:12 am

I remember one time I was making scones I used wholemeal flour when I was sifting it there were things like baby silver fish in going through the sifter ever since then I say about scones there's a new one now silverfish scones.

I've opened breakfast cereal and found cochroaches in it gives you a bit of a shock and then you don't touch that kind of cereal again.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 1:33 am

I can deal with bugs and bug parts. It is getting someone's hair in your food when you eat out that makes me cringe. That and the fact that few people seem to wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

I think the molds and rusts are what you should be concerned about when eating grains. They can cause bodily harm. Bugs are probably nutritious.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

hyperlexian wrote:
they're not really big pretty moths usually. they often look like this.

I know , but they're moths, not coackroaches.

We call those here the "rice butterflies" (in arabic there's no specific word for moth, we simply call it 'noctural butterfly', in french it's called 'papillon de nuit' as well).

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:58 am

Frogs and cockroaches have been found in supermarket salads here, which causes particular disgust because it's an unusual occurence, and to think I have eaten in restaurants which I later found out had mouse and cockroach infestations.

Some cultures and/or historical periods might have eaten the moths, or cockroaches, as a food source, let alone the cereal (due of course to extreme want). Plus, I recently read Thomas Malthus' An Essay on the Principle of Population. Read the first few pages of that, especially the typical diet of the aboriginal people of what are now Canada, the USA, Australia and New Zealand around 1800, if you want to be grossed out.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm

Oh so that's how I didn't get to eat my soup. My Dad is frugal, so he always kept instant soup and oat meal packets in his truck camper. One day we went to the camp grounds, and he handed me an instant soup pack. I noticed a hole, and inspected the contents. It was quite full of an insect group's past, and looked like powder with tiny sea shells. :lol: I stuck it into his face, like he stucks bugs into ours, and said "Insect corpse soup, Daddy? :D" We used to put a bay leaf into the flour container to keep off moths to.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
Oh so that's how I didn't get to eat my soup. My Dad is frugal, so he always kept instant soup and oat meal packets in his truck camper. One day we went to the camp grounds, and he handed me an instant soup pack. I noticed a hole, and inspected the contents. It was quite full of an insect group's past, and looked like powder with tiny sea shells. :lol: I stuck it into his face, like he stucks bugs into ours, and said "Insect corpse soup, Daddy? :D" We used to put a bay leaf into the flour container to keep off moths to.

those tiny sea-shell looking things were likely the sloughed-off cast skins of the larvae. this is likely not the type of insects you saw, but this is a great pic of the little shells (click link).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

Oh nooooo, I love moths and there I am eating them! :o

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 2:27 pm

A more common infestation in flour and other cereal grains is weevils. They can also be found in dried pasta.