Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 4:31 pm

Do you like taking part in contests?

It was my hobby or maybe rather I should say a veritable obsession of mine for two years even though I never won anything really expensive I could be proud of - the most expensive thing I happened to win was a pack of 8 Herbina cosmetics :D but it was 2 years ago.

I also won several books and CDs, a computer game for children and other minor things I can't recall too much now. For example in last year I won 3 pack of shampoos and hair-conditioners and we were using them for all year. This year I also won two Timotei shampoos packs :)

For a long time I used to visit one site where I could find all online contests gathered there by the users but this site became so extremely popular that now one has a small chance to win :? . I didn't take part in any contests for several months but I'm going to start again.

And what about you? Have you won anything?

dustbowlrefugee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2007, 4:38 pm

I won the 'tallest sunflower competition' 2 (yes Two) years running when I was younger :D No prizes other than a cheap medal and a certificate.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 4:52 pm

dustbowlrefugee wrote:
No prizes other than a cheap medal and a certificate.

It's always nice to win something even if a winning is only symbolic :D I still have my diplomas I got when I was at summer camps - for singing (I had a second place then; I was singing "Wieczorem" ("In the evening"), a popular camp song here) and drawing. :D

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 6:52 pm

I've won "The Most Annoying Pest Award" at another website three years in a row.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 7:25 pm

I like taking part in the Literacy Council Spelling Bee in my hometown.

dustbowlrefugee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2007, 8:18 pm

Irulan wrote:
dustbowlrefugee wrote:
No prizes other than a cheap medal and a certificate.

It's always nice to win something even if a winning is only symbolic :D I still have my diplomas I got when I was at summer camps - for singing (I had a second place then; I was singing "Wieczorem" ("In the evening"), a popular camp song here) and drawing. :D

Thats true :)

I remember the first year I won I went up onto the stage to college the medal in front of hundreds of people, the second year I must have been getting older and too cool for that cause I got my neighbour to collect the medal for me lol. I never entered again after that, but still have green fingers :D

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2007, 5:16 pm

When I was 12 I went to a summer camp, and always won at sports cause I was the biggest kid, I was unstoppible, to the point i got to sit out sometimes and chill with the counselrs cause i kept winning, they wanted to give others a chance to win, i understood.

I won 2nd place when I was 12 years old when I built an RC car and raced it on a clay track, I won 1st place when 13 and got a trophy and a $100 worth of parts for RC cars.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 3:03 pm

I took a math contest in grade 7 or 8 just to get out of class... I knew I'd probably do miserably. I did, sure enough, but I got a certificate of participation. My mom or my dad put it on the fridge, probably thinking I did better than I actually did.

That's the closest I came to ever participating in a contest!

Except science fairs... one in grad 8, one in grade 10. In the grade 10 one I actually got 4th place in my grade, and I had done it the night before. It was mediocre and slapdash, but a rare treat compared to the others (this was a real slacker school). This university professor who was one of the judges was very impressed with mine... it was about floods, I just made up a whole lot of BS and didn't do any research... I made a dike out of cardboard... which was actually really just a little cardboard box... it wsn't that physically attractive... well it was, but in a messy, pragmatic-rather-than-beautiful-experiment sort of way... I just made a half-assed town in a plastic bin with little trees from the $ store, houses made of milk cartons and such, and stuff like that... the principal later told me as I went up onto the stage to get my prisze (a pen) that the professor had apparently been talking about how great my project was. :D

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 3:43 pm

I took part in several contests when I was in school. When I was in elementary school I got a certificate because the painting made by me was one of the best in a drawing contest - I don't remember well what that contest concerned, probably it had something to do with a peace in the world - I remember at least that there were children representing all skin colors, standing on the ground under the sun on my drawing and there was written by me: Peace for children all over the world.

6 years ago, when I was in high school I got a book about plants and trees because I had a third place; it was also a drawing contest and it concerned the future of our planet. The poster made then by me was the best (I'm quite sincere) and I strongly suspect that girl who got the first place, got it only because she was a daughter of a biology teacher from our school.

I have also a book about the Rome and its buildings which I got because I took part in a Bible contest organized by the priest who had religion lessons with us in my high school. I didn't win but each person taking part in it got such a book.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 3:24 pm

I renewed my contestmania and now I’m very curious if it’s going to yield any results.
:)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 7:20 am

I won Hydrance Optimale cream and a pack of thermal water.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 3:43 am

Today in turn I won „Slumdog Millionaire” soundtrack in a text message contest.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 9:39 am

Today I won relaxation music CD two pack (my third winning in the row in a text message contest). But why am I the only one who writes in here? Aren’t there any more contestmaniacs? :)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 4:23 pm

Today: a shopping bag made of jute in one contest and a set of four books in a Stephen King contest. :D :D :D I’m so happy, I’m King’s fan number one (maybe not in the same manner as Annie Wilkes was Paul Sheldon’s number one fan).

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 5:58 pm

I participate in math contests every year.
I've also participated in piano-playing contests in the past. Some bad memories there - my teacher didn't teach me the proper mood of the piece I played for the contest, and got second place next to some Asian girl. Darn those Asians! (stereotype yes I know)

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

07 May 2009, 8:18 pm

When I was 9 I won a school raffle but that was based on luck, not competition. I've never really been the type to compete with others, only with myself.