Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 10:37 am

Is anyone here into magic?

Last year I got a couple dvds on some amazing magic tricks. The first one was Liquid Metal, which involves fork bending. I saw the video for it and I really wanted it, but I put off buying it because I didn't want to spend 20 bucks on something I wasn't positive about. Well let me tell you, it was worth every penny! The second one I got is called Spun, which involves levitating coins and bending them.

Those tricks, along with a couple others, such as levitating myself (as David Blaine does, its actually an extremely simple trick with no props, I suggest you learn that one also) A lot of people are convinced that I actually have supernatural powers and it really bothers some people even. I only wish I had known about this stuff in high school.

I highly prefer this type of magic to card tricks. For one, I just never found card tricks extremely entertaining, and for another, everyone knows card tricks are slight of hand, and everyone expects this stuff. So to viewers, cards are just "magic" like disapearing rabbits and the like. This stuff looks like actual telekinetic powers 8O, and people just don't expect that.

Here is the link to the dvds, watch the previews. Its worth it to buy one, but even better to get both, because if people start to think they've figured you out, you drop the other tricks on 'em.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/morganstrebler.php

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

11 Oct 2006, 10:44 am

I have this non-toxic metal alloy that melts about 144 F. If I cast a spoon and put it in
real hot coffee I could melt the spoon.

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/thermo/thermo4.html

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 12:01 pm

I was really into magic when I was younger, then I took part in a school talent show, and did so miserably I thought I'd die of embarrassment. I still have all my stuff packed away. I have to disagree with card tricks being boring. I have seen some professional magicians do some amazing card tricks (usually with just three or four cards).

Pancho
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2006, 1:32 pm

I really got into magic for a while, just before David Blane did his thing in the box by Tower Bridge in London..good timing actually...I went up there to see him alot and I'm on the dvd of it...in the background but on it none the less.

I'm mostly into card tricks and can do a few, not with any real skill but I can pull 'em off. I can do some coin ones too. Like where you get coins and place them in four corners, place a card over each and make the coins jump from one corner to the other so at the end they are all in one corner.

There's this awesome magic shop up town, I got my dad to take me up there and I ended up with a video that cost about £25 and like 6 packs of bicycle playing cards, the ones all the magicians use :D

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 6:03 pm

Try watching "Doctor Who: The Talons of Weng-Chiang". There is a distinctive magic trick done that was actually done by stage magic, rather than special effects (the way it originally was going to be done, via CSO).

How was it done? If you've got the DVD, listen to the commentary....

On sabbatical...