Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

teel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2006, 6:28 pm

Is it the norm for psychiatrists to constantly ask if you were molested? I've only seen one
Anytime a male came up in the converstation, including my brothers and dad, he'd ask if they molested/touched me.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 6:40 pm

If a psychiatrist is a freudian he will expect your problems coming from experiences earlier in life. Thus it's very "suitable" to ask if you have been molested.

'Tis munny in my purse.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 8:48 pm

Yes...especially in the 80's...they tried to convince me that I was molested and had repressed it...they felt like it would explain why I experienced dissociation(which I now feel was caused by senory over load and social phobia)I was also a "cutter" and they seem to feel that all "cutters" have been sexually abused.Another indicator would be preoccupation with sex at a young age....which I think for me was really due to the fact that I was reading Playboy in homes that I was babysitting in when I was young and an "obsession" with having a boyfriend.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 1:04 am

Some of them try to fit everything into a certain mold.

If someone was sexually molested, what exactly does that consist of? There is a valid viewpoint that sexual repression is just as damaging as being pushed into sex involuntarily or too early. This causes the symptoms associated with sexual molestation to appear in people who were not officially molested. Then they can build false memories around real or imaginary events. I could convince myself that if I saw a relative unclothed one particular day, then the next thing I know, well I can't say in this part of the forum. If I had help it would be more convincing. If someone counseled me to fish for it as if it were hidden but I could just dig it out as long as I had a guide to what to dig out, there we are. It is a mentalist act that has been known to the functionally literate forever.

This is why psychologists should avoid asking such questions. They should design or be trained in a way to get at the information that is there without leading the witness. That is very difficult.

I believe that punishing the expression of sexuality is often more damaging than inappropriate touching. I am unsure whether actual rape is worse. The thing is that pain is applied to the same mental and sometimes physical space for essentially the same reason. Deliberately punishing a body as a moral duty may be more painful and more psychologically damaging. All this stuff is documented in the writings of Sigmund Freud and Wilhelm Reich. People want to forget that material exists and some of it is quite haunting. It really is very logical that if a parent or other adult has spent a lot of time using a person's body as a weapon against him or her, then he or she is likely to punish that body themselves. They might even punish their own bodies for causing them pain. Pain is also addictive like a drug because of the release of endorphins. "Mortifying the body" by inflicting small injuries on it is an actual ritual for working to get rid of sexual feelings.