Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:09 pm

Just for a random topic, I want to know your thoughts on kids (given I am one myself).

I read an article on "Childism", which is defined as "a prejudice against children on the ground of a belief that they are property and can (or even should) be controlled, enslaved, or removed to serve adult needs."

Considering we can't really make any choices without parental approval (I understand for little kids, but what about older ones that more or less know what they want?), there is a hint of this. I don't think there is a TON of this, but it's an interesting topic.

Childism Article

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:13 pm

gailryder17 wrote:
Just for a random topic, I want to know your thoughts on kids (given I am one myself).

I read an article on "Childism", which is defined as "a prejudice against children on the ground of a belief that they are property and can (or even should) be controlled, enslaved, or removed to serve adult needs."

Considering we can't really make any choices without parental approval (I understand for little kids, but what about older ones that more or less know what they want?), there is a hint of this. I don't think there is a TON of this, but it's an interesting topic.

Childism Article

I think "childism" sounds f**king stupid, but I do hate kids. I'm not talking about teenagers (though they're often irritating in their own ways, I still respect most of them) but from the moment they're born to about 12 years they piss me off so much. They're cute for the first ten seconds you meet them, sure, but honestly, if I had to live with one I'd probably go nuts.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:17 pm

everyone thinks they know stuff when they're 14
then when they're 16
then when they're 18
then when they're 21
then when they're 30
older people will always try to indulge you with their hindsight, and they aren't always wrong

does it show i didn't read the article

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:20 pm

I love children of all ages and I celebrate the birth of each child that comes into the world, whether they have a disability or not. :)

NeverEnder
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 7:21 pm

I do not really care for children and am fortunate that I do not have any nor ever shall most likely.

And I'll be your ghost.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:24 pm

i don't understand how people can not like them

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

I really like them.
*notices that both of the people who claim to dislike them are Male. tehehe*

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:29 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:

Extremely easily, as it turns out. I don't understand how people can like them.

The whole thing is made a lot worse by this whole mentality adults have that kids can literally (and I really do mean literally) get away with murder just because they "don't know any better." Well isn't the job of adults to teach kids better? So why just let them off of everything?

For example, if I'm in the cinema or a bus or something and I have someone's stupid offspring kicking the back of my chair constantly, I'm considered the rude one if I politely tell the parent to stop the annoyance. Why? :roll:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:31 pm

I hate them and I wish none of them had ever been born!

(There's a joke in there somewhere.)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:34 pm

When I was younger I didn't like kids and never wanted any. Then I got married and got pregnant. I was ambivilant during my pregnancy but as soon as he was born I was in love.

I still get irritated easily by other people's kids, but I have a much higher tolerance with my own kids.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 7:38 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nojWJ6-XmeQ&list=FLkLR6xrCZCH6TAcvjMfSB3A&index=125&feature=plpp_video[/youtube]

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 1:21 am

I like them. I've always liked children. I only get irritated at the parents when they don't do their jobs or pull the "They're just kids" excuse.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 2:38 am

Tequila wrote:
I hate them and I wish none of them had ever been born!

(There's a joke in there somewhere.)

Yeah, damn children. Glad I never was one...

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 2:56 am

I like certain individual children but in a large group they can be very cruel.
Adults can do the same. I admire children's wonder of the world around them and honesty.
being around children can be rewarding at times.Saying that you dislike them is like prejudging an entire race of people. We were all once children so there is no reason to dislike them all.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 3:39 am

I have mixed feeling about kids, it varies by age.
I think babies are loud, ugly & they smell bad.
Small children & toddlers are cute, especially once they start talking and putting together sentences. They ahve a pure, untainted insight on the world around them. But they have an extreme about of energy and can be quite loud at times.
I find it draining to be around them.

Once kids reach school age, they calm down some, but poor parenting can lead to some being very obnoxious. But for the most part ages 5-11 are ok.

Adolescents (11-15) are a total wild card, naturally. One day they can be cool as hell, exhibiting impressive adult like behavior, the next day being an obnoxious pain in the butt. More often obnoxious and impossible to deal with. But there are exceptions.

Teens (15-18 ), I wouldn't even really consider "kids". They are in many ways adults, but they lack experience. They are easier to deal with than adolescents, but they frequently carry this know it all attitude, though they don't know diddley.

For the most part kids are cool, they are people just like the rest of us and are a lot smarter than adults give them credit for. Usually if I don't like a certain kid, it's because their parents did a poor job.

Diagnosed in 2005

Last edited by pete1061 on 14 Jan 2012, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jan 2012, 7:21 pm

I'm like Captain Picard when it comes to children. I don't hate them but I am uncomfortable around them. I did not like being around kids even when I was a kid. I feel differently about older kids/teenagers. Some are relatable to me. I can talk to some about my interest & other things in my life

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition