Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 7:08 pm

...Where would it be? It doesn't matter if you don't have the right qualifications, just imagine you do.

For me, it'd be this place:

timewaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2012, 7:11 pm

It'd love to visit the Antarctic. I've always had a fantasy of working at one of those remote research stations.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 7:18 pm

Whatever these individuals do for a living:

[img][800:737]http://belizescuba.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/whale-shark-diving-tao-thailand-z.jpeg[/img]

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 7:18 pm

Here...

:D

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

timewaster wrote:
It'd love to visit the Antarctic. I've always had a fantasy of working at one of those remote research stations.

I've got an Antarctica obsession, and I've got several books about life at the research stations on my bookshelf. According to them, it's not as fun as you'd think. To quote Nicholas Johnson's Big Dead Place, "I have never heard of one returnee who finally quit because it's the world's highest, driest, coldest or whatever. People leave because of the BS." Also, "If Antarctica has an as*hole, McMurdo [Station] is it."

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2012, 7:28 pm

Writing for this show.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 7:43 pm

I'd love to work as an animator, either for the people who make the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic cartoon, or the anime studio Gainax (whose [in]famous works include Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt)

timewaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2012, 7:43 pm

Jory wrote:
timewaster wrote:

I've got an Antarctica obsession, and I've got several books about life at the research stations on my bookshelf. According to them, it's not as fun as you'd think. To quote Nicholas Johnson's Big Dead Place, "I have never heard of one returnee who finally quit because it's the world's highest, driest, coldest or whatever. People leave because of the BS." Also, "If Antarctica has an as*hole, McMurdo [Station] is it."

I can handle that kind of isolation/bs imo, I've had jobs like that before. Now that you mention it though, it's definitely something i didn't consider, those kind of closed working environments are as bitchy as crap. It's very much lord of the flies, the rules go out of the window and for as long as everyones locked up together people start thinking very strangely. Nts for ya imo, crazy sociable bastards.

AllieG1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2012, 7:48 pm

I would pack my bags and go to England right now, if I could.

DNMA
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

Become a member of either Shaft or Bones Studio animation team.

Or maybe join Industrial Light & Magic. That would be amazing.

Last edited by DNMA on 04 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 8:06 pm

timewaster wrote:
Jory wrote:
timewaster wrote:

I can handle that kind of isolation/bs imo, I've had jobs like that before. Now that you mention it though, it's definitely something i didn't consider, those kind of closed working environments are as bitchy as crap. It's very much lord of the flies, the rules go out of the window and for as long as everyones locked up together people start thinking very strangely. Nts for ya imo, crazy sociable bastards.

Based on everything I've read so far, it's just a horrible working environment. People at the top treating people at the bottom like crap, 24 hours a day. Most of them don't even see Antarctica because they're cooped up inside washing dishes or something menial and mundane, and the pay is for sh*t. People go to Antarctica thinking it's all penguins and taking measurements outdoors and stuff like that, but it's more like working at a McDonald's in the middle of nowhere. The book I mentioned, Big Dead Place, is highly recommended, by the way. I've got several books about life at the research stations there, and it's the best of them.

timewaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

Jory wrote:
timewaster wrote:
Jory wrote:
timewaster wrote:

Based on everything I've read so far, it's just a horrible working environment. People at the top treating people at the bottom like crap, 24 hours a day. Most of them don't even see Antarctica because they're cooped up inside washing dishes or something menial and mundane, and the pay is for sh*t. People go to Antarctica thinking it's all penguins and taking measurements outdoors and stuff like that, but it's more like working at a McDonald's in the middle of nowhere. The book I mentioned, Big Dead Place, is highly recommended, by the way. I've got several books about life at the research stations there, and it's the best of them.

The thing i love is the isolation more than anything. Being cut off from the world for a large period of time is very appealing to me. I've experienced extremely similar living conditions in the past, people at the top being idiots and all the rest and i know already i can deal with it. You find yourself so bored that you end up doing things that you'd never consider while living back in civilization and i love that. Yeah the people are annoying sometimes but you just have to be the type of person that ignores all drama and it's not so bad. Very rarely they drag you into it but tbh i think ive already experienced worse so i don't think it'd bother me too much.

That book sounds interesting. I've added it to my wishlist on amazon, will get it when i have a little more cashmoney :).

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:32 am

I'd want to work on Mars, living in a habitat, constructing a power generator using a "geo"thermal well, digging a place underground to build a more permanent dwelling, such as a monolithic dome that would be mostly buried to add radiation protection, building greenhouses for food, and such of that sort essentially. Have a nice place to live and a huge library and workshop and basically spend my life working on projects I care about and learning subjects I actually want to learn.

Diabolikal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2012, 1:50 am

All i can think of off the top of my head is NASA, IBM, NORTHROP, some kind of animation studio, i have a wide range of interests is the problem, but I can name one place I would NEVER want to work-at a cubicle office straight out of Dilbert(Wait a minute, they were engineers...back to the drawing board).

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 2:26 am

This will probably sound very strange but I have always dreamed of being a sheep farmer in Ireland.
I like animals and working with my hands. This is also one of the most beuatiful places on earth.
It probably does not pay good but I would be happy with the sheep.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 4:29 am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765