Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Tangerine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2006, 11:31 am

Anyone else obsessed with phone numbers? I briefly did data entry for a phone company, and before that another job that sometimes involved entering phone numbers into a database.

I began to pick up an uncanny ability to remember the exchanges* (ie, XXX where 1(555)XXX-5555 is the phone number). I can often tell people where they live and/or who their phone provider is based on it. (There are two companies with land lines, and several with cellular exchanges here.)

And now I just found an exciting website where you can look them all up! (I dare anyone to find a single NT person who gets such unrestrained joy from tables of telephone exchanges.) http://www.localcallingguide.com appears to be a great site with all kinds of phone number related data.

*I've just learned that this can also be more properly called the "central office code" or NXX.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 7:29 pm

I am.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 7:32 pm

I never talk on the phone but I love phone numbers and I remember them easily. I have chromaesthesia for numbers so I'm actually memorizing the sequence of colors, not the actual numbers, so sometimes if a 3 and a 7 are in the phone number I'll mix them up and replace one with the other as they are similar colors. Same with 4 and 8 which are both different shades of green.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 7:45 pm

i suck at remembering phone numbers sometimes i forget my own.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

24 Oct 2006, 7:56 pm

bizarre wrote:
i suck at remembering phone numbers sometimes i forget my own.

Me too. Infact it allmost impossible for me to hear a phone number at anything other
than supper slow speed and remember it. I usually have to see it written down.

I have reoccuring dreams were I cant not remember locker combination numbers!! !
I mean for 20 plus years.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 8:01 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:

I have reoccuring dreams were I cant not remember locker combination numbers!! !
I mean for 20 plus years.

I have recurring dreams that I cannot remember phone numbers, passwords, or combinations too.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 8:05 pm

If I forget something, I usually just call the CIA. They're always able to tell me what I need to now. Heck, the other day, I left my math book at home, had my mom call them up, and two guys in dark suits brought it to me during class.

Of course, I had to remember my mom's phone number first. Thank god for that guy who was hiding in the mailbox.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2006, 6:18 am

I hate phones, at least when I have to talk with authorities. They're blocking most of my personality.

In Sweden you can look up any phone number online, if it's not secret. You will also find the adress and other phone numbers that go to that adress.

'Tis munny in my purse.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2006, 8:41 am

No such thing as ex-directory in Sweden? In Britain we have such things as 192, computer phone directories and so on.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2006, 9:18 am

What's an ex-directory?

'Tis munny in my purse.

Tangerine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2006, 12:05 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
I never talk on the phone but I love phone numbers and I remember them easily. I have chromaesthesia for numbers so I'm actually memorizing the sequence of colors, not the actual numbers, so sometimes if a 3 and a 7 are in the phone number I'll mix them up and replace one with the other as they are similar colors. Same with 4 and 8 which are both different shades of green.

I detest actually talking on the phone. I'm just good at remembering the numbers, a somewhat useless skill given how little I call anyone. My only problem (that has nothing to do with chromaesthesia in my case) is sometimes confusing the numbers 2 and 6. Ever since first grade math class I've been doing it. It rarely affects my analysis of numbers (ie, knowing which area an NXX belongs to) but happens mostly when I'm trying to write a number down after someone verbalizes it, or when I'm trying to verbalize a written number.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 2:55 am

I'm not about phone numbers in general, but I collect Payphone numbers.