An (extremely)hypothetical situation

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 10:00 am

(Part one) You wake up in a room.The floor is a smooth marble in a checkered pattern, black and a dark red. The walls are ebony wood. The room is empty except for a chair, and a bunch of instruments. You feel inclined to choose an instrument, which do you choose?

An ebony wood piano, with a red seat cover and fine bone made keys.

A brass flute, with unknown undertones that make it look like it is reflecting a fire.

A gold harp, with rosewood highlights, a skull embossed into the front and hair like strings.

A xylophone with two rows of metal keys, the lower row being sliver and the upper black, rosewood wood and the knobs of the sticks are stained a bright red.

A guitar with a skull black and white pattern.

A sitar, made of ebony and steel, the kunti are bones sticking out.

And a pan flute made of bone alone.

Which do you choose? (Part one)

(Part two) After you choose an instrument all the other ones disappear leaving you with the one instrument and the chair. You look up, and see an odd man standing on the ceiling, What does he look like? (Part two)

(Part three) He talks to you, describing that you are to play your instrument, every mistake you make causes a great tragedy, such as a war or a genocide, and if and when you stop the world will end. You will no longer need to eat or drink, nor will you feel thirsty, and you will feel no effects of fatigue.

If a person on earth were to sit very still in a quiet room they would faintly hear the playing in their head.

What happens, how long until the end of the world? (Part three)

I split it into three parts to make it easier to follow

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 10:20 am

Part One: The Pan Flute.
Part Two: An ordinary man with unremarkable features.
Part Three: I do not begin playing, so there is no danger of stopping -- you cannot stop what you never start. You did not say that we would be forced to begin.

I may even break the instrument. You never said that the instruments were unbreakable, and the easiest to break without producing a even a single note would be the "pan flute made of bone alone."

Thus, I would be stuck in the macabre room, with a broken pan flute and a song stuck in my head. Maybe forever, but at least I would not be the cause of any disasters or the end of the world.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 7:37 am

1 -- The ebony piano most likely.

2 -- He looks old. Bald and with white/gray bread and mustache, his eyes are also slit... And wearing some sort of an old robe. He seem to be smiling, as in a childish smile and is likely giggling as if something's funny.

3 -- Either... Depends what's in my head during those times.
-- I won't play and just stare at the whole thing dumbfoundly, without moving any inch nearer from it... :lol: Because I honestly don't know how to play! And I wouldn't want any disaster or the world to end. This is the more likely to happen though. I might as well stay away from it forever.
-- Or shrug the whole warning thing off -- whether out of disbelief or apathy. May think hard and focus and start playing anyway -- see if I could learn about playing an instrument as soon as possible.
It may end until... Not anytime soon more likely, if I were to play countless or endless songs in an instrument or any song just happened to be playing in my head regardless. How I'd perform would vary -- if I were very forgiving I'd be as cautious and mindful as possible and if I'm not, I'd likely make a rocky start. After all, I don't have needs or feel fatigue.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 7:44 am

Part One - A guitar with a skull black and white pattern.

Part Two - God from the TV Series Preacher

Part Three - About 3 days :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 9:46 am

1 - The guitar. It's the only one that I can just about get a tune out of, and the skull design sounds very "metal"!

2 - I'm visually aphantasic, so I can't even picture the room! Given the situation, I suppose something like the renaissance-era, stereotypical "wise old man" images of God - which were quite often painted on ceilings, appropriately enough.

3 - I'd have reminded the old man that he (or whatever superior he might have) was the one insisting that an unwitting, incompetent amateur be obliged to perform such an obviously vital function, and therefore, any consequences were of his (or his superior's) making, not mine. If intended as a punishment for my sins, it is an injust one due to the suffering of innocents.
(...and then I'd have asked whether he had a distortion pedal that I could borrow!)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 10:15 am

Trogluddite wrote:
(...and then I'd have asked whether he had a distortion pedal that I could borrow!)

Oooh! Good Call , Distortion hides a multitude of sins :lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 3:14 pm

1 - The xylophone. I just like them, okay?
2 - Slenderman
3 - I'm pretty sure Slenderman doesn't talk since he has no facial features, and I would be running out the door screaming if I saw him anyway. But he wouldn't come after me because I'm an adult and he only attacks children, right? :)

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 3:41 pm

(Part one) An ebony wood piano, with a red seat cover and fine bone made keys.

(Part two) Death itself.

(Part three) I refuse to play.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 7:59 am

why put them away .. put a 70% VAT on all the instruments.. the rest of 9930% are safe and sound in bermuda and lichtenstein anyway ..

sh** Didnt know the score this complicated !

and then start a thread on reddit to see if someone can play this ..

then maybe u can like play it together ..

Idk how to play , thanx to our k12 teachers diligent relentless efforts ..

what do they say , thirty fingers are better than ten .. what do they say , three billion fingers are better than ten ..

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 8:30 am

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 8:31 am

Way to derail the thread, Olly.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 8:32 am

hmm..

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 12:49 pm

I tried to answer, but I'm on page two of a rather lengthy word document. :oops:

So many questions about this. I think if I'm going to answer then it'll have to be in parts. There's so many possible variables and odd things about this situation. 8O :lol:

Here's part one. This section is a joke, but I'll get to my serious answer soon. I'd have so many CAPTCHA checks if I posted the entire thing at once.

Based on the description of the piano, I think that is fair to say that we’re talking about a fairly old one. Which is a shame, because if it was a digital one then depending on how this man phrased this task then there would be an amusing loophole.

“You may only use this instrument, and any mistakes you make will result in tragedies”.

*Goes into settings, track selection, presses play*

“I- no, you can’t...stop”.

“What? I’m using it, am I not?”

“I mean, technically yes but-”

“And the notes are perfect, are they not?”

*Man glares and sighs, then facepalms*

:lmao: That's probably why he doesn't keep a digital one. I'd like to think someone tried this, so he invested in an antique one so no one else would attempt this again. :lol:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 3:17 pm

Arganger wrote:
(Part two) After you choose an instrument all the other ones disappear leaving you with the one instrument and the chair. You look up, and see an odd man standing on the ceiling, What does he look like? (Part two)

I think the real question is how is he standing on the ceiling? How long has he been doing so? The blood rushing to his head can’t be good for him. Why would he pick the ceiling? How sticky are his shoes? Wait, is he wearing any? Is this man human? Maybe he’s a vampire.

OK, he has short spiky dark brown hair with golden highlights at the top. Spiderwebs in his hair. A sinister smile with sharp teeth on a bony face. He’s wearing a bat-like short cape. Black boots with grey laces. There’s mud splattered on the side of the shoes. Looks fairly young. Bright green eyes. Pale skin. Bony fingers. Takes long strides when walking. Has an unusually high-pitched voice that hurts people when he talks. Does this because he likes to torture others. He’s only been a vampire for a short while but has taken to the lifestyle quickly.

Wait, am I a vampire? That could explain why I don’t need to rest and can survive without food or water. Although, what about the blood lust? Perhaps I feel that, and can technically get by without these things but I’m slowly going mad?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 4:03 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
How sticky are his shoes?

Don't know why, but it's taken me about ten minutes to stop giggling after I reached that line! :lol:
Keep it coming - very entertaining! :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 4:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
Way to derail the thread, Olly.

Way to derail the derailment , Fnord.