Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2015, 11:07 am

Ladybugs love aphids. Will ladybugs eat lice? If so, could ladybugs be used as an effective treatment for head/body lice?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 10:22 am

I don't think ladybugs would eat lice because aphids feed on plant sap and lice feed on blood. They're very different, obviously. Ants like aphids because of the honeydew liquid they make, so aphids must be like candy to bugs that feed on sweet substances.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 4:04 am

lostonearth35's post makes sense. Aphids and lice are too different. I looked at the scientific classification. They are both insects but that's about all they have in common. But you never know until you try. Maybe ladybugs might like lice. Or there might be some other creatures that eat lice.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

If they would eat it, you'd then have to find something to eat the ladybugs after they finished to get rid of them & then have to find something else to eat that after & it'll go on like the women who swallowed a spider.

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 4:23 am

^ If ladybugs eat lice, and completely finish them, I don't think the ladybugs would stay around. So we shouldn't have to worry about getting rid of ladybugs. They'd just go away. Well, that's my convenient theory.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 10:41 am

jk1 wrote:
^ If ladybugs eat lice, and completely finish them, I don't think the ladybugs would stay around. So we shouldn't have to worry about getting rid of ladybugs. They'd just go away. Well, that's my convenient theory.

This^.

The predators would just leave once the prey was used up.
But ladybugs don't eat lice anyway.

Maybe you could rent a troop of monkeys to pick the lice off of you though. Monkeys pick lice off of each other. They might be persuaded to do the same for you. Trouble is that you would have to reciprocate, and pick lice off of them!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 11:15 pm

I don't know if ladybugs could adapt to eating lice. There are a number of insects and other animals that only feed on one thing their whole lives and that's the way nature made them. Of course they could try breeding a new kind of ladybug that eats head lice but that could turn into yet another science experiment gone wrong, and then we might end up with cute little dotted bugs that feast on our brains after eating the lice and turn us into zombies, or something...

There are birds that eat the bugs off of large animals like hippos and rhinos, but I don't think I'd want a bird nesting in my hair and doing his business in it.