Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

Dear fellow Sherlockians. Lately I discovered that there are plenty of you on this site, so I plan to create an index for information regarding the famous detective for discussion and easy reference. Please feel free to add any related threads, information, trivia, videos and pictures. If you add a thread or a reference site, please briefly describe it's content.

Some ideas......
Holmes and Asperger's.
The canon and other adaptions
Previous threads on this topic, and if you create a new one, be sure to add it!
Victorian England
Etc, etc.

Jamie :D

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

I'm mostly interested in BBC Sherlock. Are there anymore coming up? Hope so and when.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 4:20 pm

pastafarian wrote:
I'm mostly interested in BBC Sherlock. Are there anymore coming up? Hope so and when.

Season 2 has aired in the UK and will air next month in the US. (All three episodes can be found online at Dailymotion.com.) Apparently Season 3 won't even start production until early 2013.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 4:24 pm

pastafarian wrote:

It's the most leisurely pace for television production ever. I get that they want to get them right but if they were in America they would be making 13 episodes every year.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 4:31 pm

fraac wrote:
It's the most leisurely pace for television production ever. I get that they want to get them right but if they were in America they would be making 13 episodes every year.

I prefer the way they're doing it. There's a lot of filler when you make 13 episodes of a show every year, and keeping it confined to three 90-minute episodes prevents that. The six episodes of Sherlock that have been produced have been far better than any given six episodes of a show like House or whatever. Also keep in mind that each episode is twice as long as a typical episode of a TV drama, so it's the equivalent of twelve episodes of other shows.

Ecl713
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 4:32 pm

I just started watching Sherlock 2 weeks ago and It's now one of my favorite shows ever!

To me quality always beats quantity.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 4:34 pm

My favorite thing sherlock said in the books "it's a white cock" I thought it was really funny

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 4:36 pm

Alexender wrote:
My favorite thing sherlock said in the books "it's a white cock" I thought it was really funny

There's plenty of language in the books that seems comical today. Everything that's strange is "queer," friends call each other "old cock," and Watson is always "ejaculating" all over the place. You see this a lot:

"My dear Holmes!" I ejaculated.

It's no wonder people are always reading gay subtext into the stories.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 6:08 pm

Jory wrote:
Alexender wrote:

There's plenty of language in the books that seems comical today. Everything that's strange is "queer," friends call each other "old cock," and Watson is always "ejaculating" all over the place. You see this a lot:

"My dear Holmes!" I ejaculated.

It's no wonder people are always reading gay subtext into the stories.

:oops:

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:27 am

Why or why not do you think Sherlock Holmes was aspie?

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:29 am

Well, as he's a fictional character I think it's a bit pointless to delve too deeply into that, but some aspie traits apply to him, i.e: he is very, very focused in his "hobby" of being a detective, to the point that he'll disregard anything else (like the part where he didn't know the earth goes around the sun, and didn't care either). There were also times where he was rude without knowing, something in common with a lot of aspies.

Again, that's just from the top in my head, so there may be more to it.

Btw, how are these TV series? So far, besides reading all the books, I've only watched the two films. I liked that Watson was shown as a very capable action man, like he was in the books, instead of the bumbling clumsy fat guy that seems to appear in other adaptations.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm

I have watched three episodes from the BBC Sherlock Holmes and can't wait for season two. 8)

Sherlock does have some characteristics that could make him a potential aspie to include attention to detail, a great need to concentrate on what he is doing and he will tell everyone in the room to be quiet. Also quite a few of his co-workers dislike him and he does notice and point out details about his co-workers which probably is the main reason they dislike him. His manner is off putting to several people, but some people do appreciate his great attention to detail.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 12:44 pm

People who haven't seen series 2 of BBC Sherlock yet, just look for it on the net, it aired in the UK ages ago.

Series 3 is indeed not coming until 2013 though, we have a long wait ahead of us!