Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 7:27 pm

http://gma.yahoo.com/student-flesh-eati ... ories.html

Ok WP. The story above is sad. Yet it got me to thinking. The girl pictured is a pretty blonde getting her Master's in Psychology and one day out with friends turned into THIS! You feel bad/ Boo! :-( Then I got to thinking! If this was some black girl or someone with not pretty looks WOULD it get even half the news?! Maybe on the local but to go Yahoo! is interesting front page news even. Surely people get shot in the head and live to tell the tale but OH WAIT! They aren't Giffords a political person! So we don't CARE! (Or people in society) don't care!! !!

I really feel for her. But those are just my thoughts and was wondering if anyone else thought along the same lines. WOULD it be US! on the news? If this was our story? I'd assume most people would not horse around on a zipline over water though. :-)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 May 2012, 7:38 pm

I hardly ever watch the news. its too depressing, however I do love watching newstype TV shows about the stock market, Like the Kudlow report and the ever so entertaining House Of representatives channel. :lol:

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:10 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
http://gma.yahoo.com/student-flesh-eating-disease-lose-fingers-133238372--abc-news-topstories.html

Ok WP. The story above is sad. Yet it got me to thinking. The girl pictured is a pretty blonde getting her Master's in Psychology and one day out with friends turned into THIS! You feel bad/ Boo! :-( Then I got to thinking! If this was some black girl or someone with not pretty looks WOULD it get even half the news?! Maybe on the local but to go Yahoo! is interesting front page news even. Surely people get shot in the head and live to tell the tale but OH WAIT! They aren't Giffords a political person! So we don't CARE! (Or people in society) don't care!! !!

I really feel for her. But those are just my thoughts and was wondering if anyone else thought along the same lines. WOULD it be US! on the news? If this was our story? I'd assume most people would not horse around on a zipline over water though. :-)

You're absolutely right, were she not attractive and educated it's likely this wouldn't have made the news.

Same way the only time a missing persons case hits the news is when the person missing is an upper class attractive white woman. Only time the news will mention a poor, or black, or ugly, or male person going missing is if they're wanted for some crime.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Last edited by mds_02 on 13 May 2012, 8:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:23 pm

It's like you have to be Barbie to make it into the news in America these days.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 9:04 pm

It bothers me that stories like this become national news. What is the national interest in some person having a f****d up injury? The news doesn't this all the time with filler BS news stories. Apparently it's accepted if all they did was broadcast real newsworthy stories that were educational people would lose interest and tune out.

Now Richard mentioned the economics news. I have to say I feel the same way. I'd really rather get any Political or Economic news from business channels. They're a much more analytical crowd.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 1:09 am

It's not much different with real-life murder mystery shows like Forensic Files or 48 Hours Mystery. Out of the countless times I have watched shows like those while lying in bed at night, I can't recall any cases off the top of my head where the murder victim was anything other than a beautiful white woman.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 1:15 am

Your news channel should consist of information new/entertaining. Especially types of info that teaches you something and/or sheds light on some subject - to raise understanding and/or educate. In my opinion at least... like teletubbies for adults.

Although the actual news consists of, how many people got stabbed/shot/murdered, fear mongering... gossip. Apparently talking points of the day from private sources (anti-Obama stuff, religion, etc). From what I've learned J-Lo's bootyquake is also news worthy (my step-mother made me pull it up because she heard about it on the news).

This is complete and utter failure to be responsible news casters.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 6:51 am

Instead of watching the news, I tend to go to a BBC channel and press the red button (UK members will know what I'm talking about). Then I can read all the stories, minus the sensationalistic pictures and reporting. I get to find out about more news stories than is shown on the news programmes.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 8:26 am

I like watching Euronews in the morning, i don't like our local news, but its been getting pretty plain lately because its always about the economic crisis in regular news reports, but then again i dislike reading articles online because i never know what to choose, so i'll stick to watching the news every morning :)

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 9:23 am

I don't like watching the news anymore, because I can see the blatent bias on a subject. That and most stories seemed to be taliored towards gossip then anything else. If I want to get the news, I'll read it on a newspaper. * I know I'm old-fashioned, but honestly don't care anymore. * :x

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:14 am

I have talk radio going all the time in my room where I can listen in or zone out at will, I really haven't watched TV news since I've done that. Currently it's 'Obama this, Romney that, teacher-student-sex the other' with the mandatory inept local government being broke. Nothing new under the sun but what with not having the video it cuts out a lot of the fluff, I figure I'm going to be bombarded with the latest happenings anyhow anyway.

My hfa friend once told me people are exponentially more likely to have depression and anxiety if they religiously watch the news, he's got a point

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 11:07 am

Yes, I hate the news for many reasons.

One is the fact mentioned in the original post.

The other is the fact that the mainstream media always has a political agenda be it left or right.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 11:22 am

Without news stories like this, most people would have never heard of flesh eating diseases. They would also be unaware how important it is to sign a DNR before any kind of hospital treatment, no matter how young and presumably healthy one might be. From another article about this case:

Quote:
She went into cardiac arrest after being removed from the operating table, but was resuscitated, CNN affiliate WGCL reported.

Quote:
...rehab to adjust to life without her left leg, part of her abdomen and perhaps other body parts that surgeons may still remove because of her disease.

Who would possibly want to wake up like that? And why are we still stuck in the ******* Middle Ages? "We saved the patient's life! She's just a torso now and parts of her guts are missing, but we saved her! Yay!" Jesus the Christmas Jew. Shouldn't we be able to kill a bunch of ******* bacteria at this point, and use stem cell technology to regrow limbs? It's distressing how ******* primitive we still are. A bunch of apes with scalpels :evil:

This bacteria strain shouldn't even exist anymore. We should have already designed self-replicating nanobots that hunt down and kill every species on this planet that is willing and able to kill humans. If there is one thing that we're good at, it's driving other species to extinction, so let's put this talent to good use. The biosphere of this planet has ****** us up long enough, it's time for us to **** it back. Sorry for the rant, but this upsets me. We could have advanced so much further already if we wouldn't waste so much time and brain capacity on meaningless BS and pointless games of power and greed.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 11:58 am

I quit watching eight years or so ago. The way most "news" is to me, is nothing more than a cheap reality TV series that picks a team to admire. This doesn't include the Weather channel, by the way.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:09 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Without news stories like this, most people would have never heard of flesh eating diseases. They would also be unaware how important it is to sign a DNR before any kind of hospital treatment, no matter how young and presumably healthy one might be. From another article about this case:

Quote:
She went into cardiac arrest after being removed from the operating table, but was resuscitated, CNN affiliate WGCL reported.

Quote:
...rehab to adjust to life without her left leg, part of her abdomen and perhaps other body parts that surgeons may still remove because of her disease.

Who would possibly want to wake up like that? And why are we still stuck in the ******* Middle Ages? "We saved the patient's life! She's just a torso now and parts of her guts are missing, but we saved her! Yay!" Jesus the Christmas Jew. Shouldn't we be able to kill a bunch of ******* bacteria at this point, and use stem cell technology to regrow limbs? It's distressing how ******* primitive we still are. A bunch of apes with scalpels :evil:

This bacteria strain shouldn't even exist anymore. We should have already designed self-replicating nanobots that hunt down and kill every species on this planet that is willing and able to kill humans. If there is one thing that we're good at, it's driving other species to extinction, so let's put this talent to good use. The biosphere of this planet has ****** us up long enough, it's time for us to **** it back. Sorry for the rant, but this upsets me. We could have advanced so much further already if we wouldn't waste so much time and brain capacity on meaningless BS and pointless games of power and greed.

Those people who call reasearch and science "blashphemy" bug you to, do they?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 1:34 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

IMO no amount of rehab would help the emotional damage and the fact that parents haven't told her about her leg IMO is wrong. TELL ME FOR GOD SAKE!! ! also the fact that this is still around is sad as you stated. get rid of small pox etc. but not flesh eating disease. :-)