Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2012, 7:49 pm

I recently came across a website that turns the "four temperaments," a sort of pseudo-psychological theory from ancient times that once claimed that different amounts of fluid in one's body could affect one's personality, into an interesting theory that describes different types of personalities in general. In this system, one's temperament is actually a blend of two base temperaments, one being the primary and one being the secondary, and they act as a sort of "framework" that determines how people might instinctually think about things. I believe I would be choleric melancholic in this system. I wonder what everyone here thinks of it, though!

The website can be found here.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 8:03 pm

I have read about this system before, first in a science fiction novel surprisingly enough. When set up as a square with each temperament in a corner it provides at least a general idea of the variations between personalities. I recall referencing it before in a thread here on WP some time ago when someone asked if there was a "spectrum of NT"; I feel this topology might be close to accurate, though it is certainly not perfect

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 8:17 pm

I remember getting a library book on this. I find these kinds of things very interesting and I found my description very accurate. I'm a melancholic. I'm pretty sure my secondary is phlegmatic.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 9:26 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
I remember getting a library book on this. I find these kinds of things very interesting and I found my description very accurate. I'm a melancholic. I'm pretty sure my secondary is phlegmatic.

Same for me. I particularly liked the description of melancholics' moods in the OP's link - "slowly and carefully built up over time, but easily shattered and difficult to repair." That describes my moods to a T.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 11:06 pm

Temperaments have been kind of an on/off special interest for me, starting with these in high school and later moving to Myers-Briggs. From what I can remember, I believe I had an even division of temperament when I first took the quiz, but since I haven't found an online quiz that gives two of them for a response, I can't tell my exact mix. All I know for sure is that I'm part sanguine :?