Post things that you remember from your childhood

Page 8 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:38 pm

Tom & Jerry and The Kinks. Those are the two happiest things that I remember from my childhood. :)

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:49 pm

I made this thread when i was 16...weird.

Popular memory for many who live in my city.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:49 pm

I remember being able to leave my body, and float around. I had a very firm belief that everyone could do this, and that we would all try living in each others' bodies. I remember thinking it was such an odd idea that people were fixed in their bodies. I was about 6 or 7.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 2:31 pm

I remember the week that my mum babysat three kids that she babysat at our house. The thing is that we had to spend the week there and babysit those kids at their house. I was 9 at the time. That was probably one of the best weeks of my life. Those three kids, my sister and I had a lot of fun. I didn't want that week to end. :)

earthtoerika
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2011, 5:17 pm

I remember sitting in my aunt's basement reading through Gary Larson's big book about what was going on in his head when he made Far Side cartoons. (The signature about antidaephobia reminded me of that.)

I also remember sitting in my grandma's attic reading her old collections of Pogo comics. I became much more versed in the popular culture of the 50's and 60's than most kids my age...

But then, I would read pretty much anything. If I was in a waiting room and there was nothing to read but Parenting magazine, I would even read that. I used to joke that the reason I had to be on medication was because I read Parenting magazine-- when adults tried to control me by normal means, I knew what they were up to.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 5:41 pm

I remember finding sand dollars and sand crabs on the beach and running from the waves on the beach.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 5:57 pm

Way to many things to name 8)

1. I was touched in a certin place by me step mother that I think you can figure out for yourself.
2. Watching the power rangers.
3. Beating up kids in school that made fun of me for being poor.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 6:04 pm

I remember finding a room-sized rain cistern under my dad's house, and making it my own "secret room" for two years. I remember coming home from school one day to find a dump truck pouring a load of sand in through a new hole in the foundation. I remember my dad smirking at me because he hadn't removed my stuff from the cistern before filling it with sand.

I remember that there were 200 silver dollars minted in the 1940s and 1950s in a wooden box in that cistern. They may still be there.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 6:14 pm

So many memories...can't narrow it down to just one or two as they all seem to blend together. Most of my memories have to do with senses and times of sensory overload. Colours were very bright, smells were very powerful, and I had above average hearing.

I had synesthesia for almost every sense...colour/taste was a strong one. The world was very distracting and I remember focusing on details a lot. I remember many instances of people trying to pull me out of the detail oriented world and "pay attention". I hated that and the people who enforced this.

Not only that, but everything had to be just so, and if something changed, I would have a very severe meltdown. Having a cut on my finger and losing a glove made me go ballistic. I have zero memories of social interaction other than going to kid's houses for their birthday parties...and I HATED being in other kid's houses as the smells were uncomfortable for me.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 6:46 pm

I remember the ice cream truck going through my neighbourhood every day in the summer except for Sunday. My sister and I got to buy ourselves ice cream once a week. :)

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm

I remember each time we drove to my grandparents house (3 hours away) I loved to watch the white posts that were all along the old highway whizz past (each roughly 30 metres apart). I would try to count them to find out exactly how many there were (on my side of the road) I would get upset when they were placed closer and my dad would drive faster than I could count. I tried every time but i would eventually loose count.
I remember my mum would ask me periodically what number are you up to now - I would reply 5, 328......

godoftruemercy
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2011, 1:57 am

YES DINOTOPIA

The best books ever ever. I met James Gurney when I was little, actually! He was pretty cool, but his head was...shiny. Very shiny.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 6:25 am

I remember having to watch Mr. Belvedere every Friday evening.

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2011, 7:09 am

I remember spending a couple of hours trying to count to infinity when I was about 5 years old.
It was excellent the moment that I fully realised the full impact of the concept of infinity.
I just sat there totally blown away trying to fathom something so unfathomable.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

20 Oct 2011, 9:08 am

I'd prefer not to go back in time to my childhood, because it was mostly a negative one. My only happy times were with my grandparents and my mother alone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 8:12 pm

I went to Expo with my family four times in the Summer of 1986. That was a very good year for me. :)