Are older people friendlier than younger ones in your area?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 1:24 am

Over here they're equally as annoying as the young ones sadly enough (maybe slightly less tho).

But I like to hear your stories.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 4:46 am

Yeah, they're more sociable and quite open with strangers.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 8:26 am

Yeah, I live in a small town so generally our community has a lot of older people who live here. Yes, most of the adults and older people are generally nicer than the younger people. It's a kind of place when you walk down the street you smile and say hi to the person even if you don't know them. A lot of the teenagers here can be really annoying though.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 May 2012, 9:38 am

I always had friends in the 50s and 60s when I was a teen. I know people today would think that's weird, and probably think there was something dirty going on, but of course that wasn't the case at all. It's just that older people didn't judge me as being weird, which my peers did.

Charles

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 10:05 am

The older people in my area are friendlier and they're also more polite as well.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 12:44 pm

Some are, though I think some older people are leery of me. I would say little kids and animals seem to find me interesting. The rest are more generational in how they feel they should respond towards people.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 2:30 pm

Depends on the gender really.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

DanRaccoon wrote:
Depends on the gender really.

old women are more friendly to you than old men?

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 5:13 pm

I would say that older people have always been more friendly towards me, than those of my own generation or younger... for the most part. Of course there are a few exceptions every now and then.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

Generally the older people are much nicer to me than the younger ones are. The older people understand that there is something "different" about me, so they don't comment on my eccentric behavior, but I have been teased by children and teenagers.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Jun 2012, 4:25 pm

In some ways, the adults in my neighborhood are more dramatic than a lot of people I know. One lady threatened to call the cops on us for "animal cruelty" because we got mad at her dog for being set loose to pee on everything. She said that "We don't provide adequate shelter when he is put outside" (which is not true, he has a dog house that he can stand up in, turn around in, has a memory foam pad, and a heated blanket that we turn on when it's raining), "letting him run around loose" (we all know that dogs get out sometimes), and that "we never feed him enough, because he's too skinny" (He's on a diet and he was recently weighed in at 98 lbs).

:roll:

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2012, 10:53 am

some are some not. People tend to keep themselves and can be bit wary of others and it takes a lot of time for people to be friendly. Young people tend to be rude and inconsiderate I was on the train yesterday and 2 girls were sharing their music with the rest of the passengers on the train even though nobody asked them to. Then I went on holiday and most of the travellers there were older people and they were miserable and dour.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 3:30 pm

In my area i would say the older people are more approachable and therefore can have a nice chat.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 9:59 pm

MUCH more friendly! I find that they're usually much nicer and more approachable than the people my age. Perhaps those extra few years dampened their egos a bit :wink:

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2012, 12:55 am

sluice wrote:
Some are, though I think some older people are leery of me. I would say little kids and animals seem to find me interesting. The rest are more generational in how they feel they should respond towards people.

I have the same experience, especially with older women (there are exceptions, of course...), particularly if they are educated and of means - not as much if they are poor. People from broken backgrounds or on the social margins are far friendlier than people who are well-connected or appear to have stable lives. If I were in a bind and needed help, I would find a friendlier response from someone living under an underpass than a well-groomed person walking quickly above.

How friendly people seem is at least partially a reflection of how I come across to them, so these same people may welcome others with open arms......

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2012, 9:49 pm

All the old people I have ever known were very friendly, while a lot of the young people I have known were not because they often made fun of people who were different than them, basically making certain peoples' lives Hell. I have not met all of the old people living in my area and not all of the younger people in my area are mean to others. It varies from person to person.