Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 3:15 pm

What does the term 'romantacise' mean? For example if you romatacize an event?

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

29 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

I think it means to depict an event as overly desirable and interesting. Basically, it's being overly dramatic when describing something.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

I would say: when you put feelings in it.

When it's sentimental.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:09 pm

Talking it up, making it look like the thing to do. 'Even though he had a fear of new places Billy romanticized the idea of hopping a freight train'

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:44 pm

"Deal with or describe in an idealized or unrealistic fashion: "the tendency to romanticize nonindustrial societies."

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 3:38 am

Jamesy wrote:
What does the term 'romantacise' mean? For example if you romatacize an event?

It means you look at it in an unrealistic way, only seeing the good parts, or exaggerating the good parts while downplaying or being oblivious to the bad aspects.

I can give one example from my own life: From I was 6 and a few years on, I wanted a little sister because I thought the little sister of one of my playmates was so cute. In my view having a little sister would be the best thing ever. I thought she'd love me unconditionally, look up to me; we'd play and have fun, and she would never cry or have tantrums, she'd never touch my stuff or ruin itin any way, we'd never fight, it'd all be hearts and glitter and no problems between us ever, and if I was busy she'd never bother me.
I'm sure having a sister can be great, but at that age I only saw it through rosy glasses and thought it would have no downside like quarreling, jealousy, or the sister playing with my toys or ruining my homework.

Nostalgia is another type of romanticising something. Things were better in your youth, prices were lower, people were kinder, the music was better, the cars were cooler etc. while ignoring things like technological, medical and societal improvements that have come between that time and your current age, and also not considering whatever made your life miserable at the time

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765