Star Trek TNG: Does anyone NOT find Wesley Crusher annoying?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Is Wesley Crusher annoying?
Yes 45%  45%  [ 14 ]
I don't mind him but I don't like him 26%  26%  [ 8 ]
No I like him 29%  29%  [ 9 ]
Other - I will explain below (e.g. he got more annoying throughout the series) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 31

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 7:25 am

No spoilers please - I haven't finished watching all the episodes yet!

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Optician_Of_Urza
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2009, 7:27 am

He's quite possibly the most annoying thing about TNG.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 8:01 am

He was really annoying in the first season since he seemed to save the day way too many times for someone his age. He's shuffled into a background character later on, and eventually becomes simply a recurring character.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:47 pm

Well.. I don't really hate him but the eps that center on him are pretty boring. And his jumpsuit is wierd.
He's kinda cute tho.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:49 pm

I wanted him to get turned into a borg or something
get killed off lol

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 12:25 pm

Wesley Crusher made me want to kick puppies, he annoyed me so much.

I think it's very significant that Wil Wheaton - who is, let's not forget, the guy who actually played him for seven years - hates Wesley too...

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 1:03 am

I think what got me was the 'newscaster hair'...the slick jell look that a hurricane wouldn't move...;)

I always used to predict that the last episode of Voyager (or the 'jump the shark' moment) would be Crusher showing up...;)

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:51 am

I liked him. I was a teacher's pet myself, and identify with bright, studious kids. :nerdy:

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:54 am

Same here, Icheb. He always was a role model to me *admits* *runs for cover* especially since he was so smart and knew so much about things.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:58 am

He isn't perhaps the most likeable of people, but he isn't offensive. I guess I can relate to his youthful nerdiness and see some of myself at his age, but he seems more outgoing than I was. Maybe in another life. Must remember to be careful with the nanites though and not let them escape and take over the ship. Spending time with the "traveler" would be interesting - I'd make the same choice there.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 12:04 pm

Wil Wheaton at the time, I think, may have been seen as an up-and-coming star and so despite Wesley Crusher being more of a bit-part character many of the episodes in the first half of the series were written around him - notably some of the worst Star Trek episodes of the first series/of any series, such as "Justice" and "The Naked Now". So I suppose some fanatical viewers were very annoyed by a young upstart becoming a central figure in their precious show, and they may have blamed some of the worst episodes on his very presence.

Of course, things turned out much different since then, so those feelings are less relevant than they may have seemed in the age of newsgroups.

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2009, 1:04 pm

After watching some of the earlier years of the series again recently, some of the first season really had very poor acting and poor/preachy story lines (some of which had also been adapted from TOS story lines) . They improved, thankfully, as the show evolved (although there were some unfortunate "jump the shark" - see below - moments near the end of the series).

What I didn't like about Wesley was that he shouldn't have been on the bridge, no matter how clever he was. I did get sick of him saving the Enterprise every week, and I think it was because a) he wasn't trained - in real life, there would have been a lot of complaints from the other members of the crew to force him back off the bridge - why should anyone have to go through extensive and grueling star fleet training if the captain "just lets" a teenager drive the flag ship of the federation and b) he was an arrogant little twit. I felt that then, and I feel that now. I didn't like Troi when I first started watching either, she was a "cheat" and too heavily relied on. Now I see her character a little differently and she doesn't annoy me as much. Wesley I have NEVER warmed up to.

"Jump the shark" = when a show does a story line where the premise is so ludicrous it is actually seen as the episode where people stopped watching and the show wasn't long for cancellation. It comes from an episode of "Happy Days" in which "The Fonz" literally jumps a shark while on waterskis.

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:18 am

While watching the episode "Justice", I wished that Wesley would be left on the Planet to die so we wouldn't have to deal with him, but I knew, alas, that could not be and he would live. Know what is a good episode for Wesley haters? Datalore. So satisfying. Although, Mr Crusher isn't still as bad as a certain star-wearing teenage boy with a Beatles's haircut that was in a different series...

Cherry_Blossom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2012, 1:56 pm

Captain Kirk would never have put up with having a kid on his bridge! I'm pretty sure he didn't drink tea, either. Heck, Janeway barely tolerated having Harry Kim on the bridge.

Nah, I kid, I heart TNG and Picard. :wink: I could have done without Wesley, though.

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:50 pm

No body knows who the person worse than Wesley was? I would be very disappointed of your guessing skills.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 7:50 pm

It's Adric, but we're not talking about Doctor Who.