Is going to the pub alone to meet people a good idea?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:24 am

Over here it's definitely not :lmao: , but hey.

I'm wondering if there are people here that managed to get friendships or even relationships through sitting in a pub alone where you don't know anyone at all in the hope of getting contact.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 11:17 am

Hasn't worked for me. Where do you live?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 11:19 am

double post

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 11:33 am

Belgium.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 11:44 am

I would never even attempt it xD

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 12:30 pm

Well, I hadn't done it so far and I'm not going to either, but the topic does interest me.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 12:39 pm

I have gone out alone because I wanted to go out and didn't have anybody to go out with. It was about as fun as sitting home alone, except at home there's no line for the bathroom and it's much cleaner. I think if I was cuter, I might have had more interest, but I'm pretty plain (ooh--there's an oxymoron!) :lol:

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 1:07 pm

I don't think it's likely to be a great idea, at least it didn't work well for me. Usually, if you are male, unless you are of a certain age where it is more normal to go the pub alone (middle aged-elderly) or it is a particularly friendly place, you may well be viewed negatively ("odd", "creepy", "loner") if you are drinking alone and this may cause it to be difficult to interact on a friendly level with people. This is likely to be particularly exacerbated if you have some particular aspie traits like struggling with eye contact and reading people. If you are female it is likely you would get a lot of attention as a lone woman in a pub but probably for all the wrong reasons.

On the other hand there have been a couple of occasions when I have met nice people drinking alone but overall I don't find the hit rate of nice people to be worth all the associate stresses. Of course this is all pure anecdote and YMMV.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 2:26 pm

No, where I come from people in pubs have their own cliques and don't tend to look at a stranger sitting about on his/her own. Also I feel quite intimidated just walking into a pub on my own, it's just something that I'd never do.

But pubs aren't the only places to meet friends. I find doing things like voluntary work is a great way to meet other people, and it's a friendlier environment too. I've made more friends through doing voluntary work than going into a pub.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 2:29 pm

Uprising wrote:
Belgium.

I wouldn't mind visiting Belgium at all. :)