Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2012, 9:21 am

One of the biggest difficulties I have to live with is not communicating with others, but with my own family. Any time I try to discuss something important, the conversation turns into a game of Russian Telephone. What might start out as "We hold these truths to be self-evident" becomes "Behold, Ruth sees an elephant" by the time it gets back to me.

My family dynamic is rather complex--I have 3 sisters all older than me. the youngest of them by 9 years, I also have a brother who is 4 years older than me. He is the black sheep of the family and can only be relied upon to be unreliable.

In terms of age difference, My parents along with my sisters were basically a separate family from my parents with my brother & me. My credibility also suffers because I am the youngest of 5 siblings. They see me as the "little brother". I've been supporting myself since I was 16 but that doesn't seem to matter.

I have some potential issues coming up that would radically change my life, but I can't discuss them with my family because they listen, but they don't hear. What can I do?

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2012, 9:36 am

I have had difficulties with my family aswell. I have a NT 19yro sister and a aspie 12yro brother. My parent and I are not close because if my sexuality. Mum went through a depression period when I was in high school and pretty much left me to look after my brother and sister... Suddenly I had to feed them, help with homework etc, this was a big struggle for me!

I have found I cannot rely on my parents and this has made me rethink a lot of things, I'm a very logical person and this all did not make sense to me. I have 2 other people I can turn to, do you have anybody you can turn to?

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2012, 10:29 am

Mother passed away 10 years ago in September. Father passed away a week after his 61st birthday 29 years ago. Dad was not the easiest guy to talk to even at the best of times. Knowing what I know now he may have been an aspie too. I had to get it from somewhere. (Thanks for nothing dad) Mom I could talk to about anything. (I really miss that). Dad not so much.

I had a mentor at my job who fell afowl of office politics & was forced into retirement. So No, there's really nobody I can talk to.